Mixing 4 audio channels to 3?

It should be. If you are concerned, check with a meter first.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

No. You will certainly create a ground loop which will result in mains hum.

Don Pearce

This is certainly likely but not a foregone conclusion. In any case, it's "OK" (i.e. not dangerous). As long as the computers are plugged into the same circuit, it's quite possible that he can get away with it, assuming line levels. If hum is a problem, coupling capacitors or cheap audio transformers will usually solve it.

Reply to
krw

This kinda kills the project, doesn't it? (At least, the straightforward solution.)

The alternative is...?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Transformers. You can buy decent ones in Maplin for use in car audio. Capacitors have been suggested, but they don't help. If they are big enough to pass bass, the ground loop is still there. It doesn't require a DC connection to function.

Don Pearce

I've yet to have a problem doing it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Hi Tomi. Thank you for your advice. I have enjoyed your creative designs for many years.

Do you have any comments on my revisions of the circuit (ie, are caps recommended? should I be concerned about cross talk if I take resistors from all 4 channels to drive the sub woofer? etc...)

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Reply to
John Fields

Thanks John. Good simple design.

Can you suggest a good op amp for such an audio application?

Is it possible to use single-supply amps throughout?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Reply to
John Fields

No tools.

I made the L & R op amps fixed gain and added input level control pots:

Comments?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Should all pots be log taper?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Can't find them on Mouser.

Suggest another one that's good for audio?

How about LM833? ::

The SR and GBW beat the 1007... ;-)

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Is the type of resistor important (wire wound, etc.)?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Only a single supply (in the amplified speakers) is available to power this circuit. I can tap this supply for my circuit:

I've added input & output caps. Are these values sound? ;-)

How do I go about getting a 1/2 Vcc ground reference? (See my non-EE attempt.) What values to use for the divider resistors?

What needs to be reference to the new "ground"? Everything between the input caps and output caps?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

The easiest way is to take two equal value resistors connected in series across your supply (as you have done R16/17). The centre point is then connected to the + input of another op-amp which has its output strapped back to its input - terminal. this forms a voltage follower and the output is your Vcc/2 reference. This provides a low impedance source and the resistors can be almost any value you like - anything between 10k and 1M say.

Reply to
Stuart