Typical mains power for mid-range PC?

It's not the knowing how part that you fail on, it's the knowing when, and why, and whether you have an expectation of being able to reach the desired goal or will only be able to get the epoxy temp reading and not any useful purpose beyond that.

It's kinda like using usenet, you start out being able to do one part of it ok, but you fail to get the job done acceptably.

Reply to
kony

We can conclude it but we cannot do what the purpose was to begin with, determine the actual deviation.

Perhaps your purpose is different, did you read the past posts so you have the context?

What IC then WOULD we need to know the core temp of? Do you not see that people HAVE had their HDDs succomb to overheating?

If you had a HDD in an environment with airflow, the surface temp will be significantly different than without that airflow. We could make a "blind faith" argument, that we are trusting that the HDD manufactruer did design well but even so, surface epoxy temp is not a reliable indicator.

Have fun explaining how some chips end up failing from overheating.

Yes, and I never claimed otherwise. THEN we have to consider the 'sinking or lack thereof.

Actually any of the chip manufacturers make upper temps fairly clear, and the HDD manufacturers have not stated that you can ignore the temps, yet you try to imply it. There is a general presumption that the person implemeting a part is fit to assess the environment it's placed in. Being able to turn a screwdriver, plug a cable and click "format" isn't quite the whole story though some get by ok merely because they bought a case with sufficient ventilation.

Rod, we've all witnessed your silly trollism too many times to count. Who is the child, Rod? Think on it a bit.

... when in a proper environment. Similarly, _NO_ device would need a thermal diode if in a proper environment, with a proper heatsink, properly working fan, etc, etc. Sure the heat density is lower, but think back about what was being considered, the subtopic was whether a HDD was overheating.

Think further back to other threads Rod, you are the one that seems to have trouble keeping them cool, describing situations where they are warm on the frame which undoubtedly means the ICs are hotter. So you ignore the temps and you have hotter drives. Go figure.

Actually no, it's more a matter of the cost and overall designs these chips are in, the aren't intended to have that level of sophistication. The vast majority of ICs don't have them, including practically all that produce far more than enough heat to fail if the cooling subsystem isn't adequate.

In a roundabout way, that is true. Even so, your idea about the thermal diode is nonsense, as I wrote above there are plenty of other ICs that run hot enough that they are susceptible to heat induced failure. So you are obviously wrong there, but correct that in a *good* environment, they won't get too hot.

You have tried to side-step the whole issue, that we're trying to assess whether the environment IS good (enough). Same with any IC, and there have been plenty that ran close enough to thermal margins in PCs to lockup. Several of the USB bridge chips for example.

Tell that to anyone who has had a heat induced failure. Bet they'll be glad to know you pretended to know better.

Reply to
kony

Ok, if you try posting accurate information from now on.

Reply to
kony

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind kony wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage when its got done like a dinner, yet again.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:07:14 -0400, kony Gave us:

Ripple and noise are defined as periodic or random signals over a frequency band of 10 Hz to 20 MHz.

Your transient current draw CRAP is NOT ripple.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:10:21 -0400, kony Gave us:

Fuck you, BOY!

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:10:21 -0400, kony Gave us:

You're a goddamned idiot.

I don't need a primer from a retarded twit like you.

Sounds like you went to a medium, and were fed the wrong information, dumbass.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:11:08 -0400, kony Gave us:

I've designed and characterized far more power supplies than a retarded f*ck like you ever will.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:12:02 -0400, kony Gave us:

Fuck off, you know nothing retard.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:17:45 -0400, kony Gave us:

Since you have no clue as to what I do or do not understand, the only fact here is that you are full of shit.

Can you get that factor, you retarded f*ck?

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:18:07 -0400, kony Gave us:

You wouldn't know what the bigger picture is if it bit you in the ass, which it already has.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:26:18 -0400, kony Gave us:

Grow the f*ck up, retard boy. The discussion was about cheap non compliant OEM supplies, and if you had any brains, or any memory capacity, you would know (remember) that I already stated what types of supplies I use. So f*ck off, you know nothing presumptuous f*ck!

Nope. Not when the entire discussion was about what makes a claimed to be compliant supply fail to be compliant.

Sheesh... talk about retarded. Why don't you get off your little hobby horse of trying to assess what you think I do or do not know?

You might actually garner a clue.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:32:13 -0400, kony Gave us:

I have designed switchers for years. You are lost, fucktard.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:05 -0400, kony Gave us:

Then stop jacking off at the mouth acting as if I do not, you stupid f*ck.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:05 -0400, kony Gave us:

Stop making shit up, you retarded little bastard.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:05 -0400, kony Gave us:

Fuck you, retard boy.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:05 -0400, kony Gave us:

Shows how little you know, fucktard. Ripple is not expressed in amps.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:05 -0400, kony Gave us:

Your understanding of electronics has been eclipsed.

That is all.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:05 -0400, kony Gave us:

Seems that you are back to making jack-jawed retarded peanut gallery comments again.

Fuck off, boy.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:53:42 -0400, kony Gave us:

Where do you want to meet? I'll check ya, you little punk f*ck.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard