Typical mains power for mid-range PC?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:17:50 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

You actually think there is no heat in an ESD event?

You really have to give up this childish lame.

It's totally meaningless... really.

You probably think there is no heat in ultrasonic welding of plastic too. You'd be wrong on that one as well.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

What did you expect to be this transient when it comes from multi-MHz if not GHz chips, at least dozens of KHz switching?

This is not like some motor that is a one-shot turn on. These are constant variable loads that induce more rail ripple than put out by the PSU itself.

Reply to
kony

So you feel this attitude does anything other than make you look an idiot?

Reply to
kony

Why would I take anything you write seriously when you have already demonstrated a propensity to troll-like behavior?

BTW, as mentioned previously, it is a bit ridiculous that you couldn't manage to reply to entire posts at a time instead of fragmenting them into over a dozen. If you continue further fragmenting them, that dozen will turn into several dozen and it is senseless when they were all on the same subtopic.

If you would like to screw your head on straight, combine your multiple posts into a summary reply, then perhaps we can continue to discuss this a bit more like adults. Somehow I doubt that will happen so unless it does, this will be my last round of replies.

Reply to
kony

I'm not interested in your ego or characterization, rather some real-world testing experience would be relevant. You have not done that relevant testing on a modern system if you have not observed this load-induced ripple.

Reply to
kony

I can see you must be a very productive person if everyone around you doesn't pretend you are always right.

Reply to
kony

I think you're on a roll here, so far your content per post ratio is so low that it is justifying what I'd already planned to do, stop bothering to post when you have nothing of worth to discuss.

Reply to
kony

No, though you might have wanted, even needed to try to shift the conversation in that direction to make any of what you wrote seem sensible.

We can cover non-compliant supplies with one brief statement- Nobody should be using them. With that out of the way we have left those that are compliant to consider.

Did you think writing "f*ck off" the 2nd or 3rd time was any more significant than the first?

Was it the discussion? Please quote this in context.

It seems this started out with the following:

You pretty much ignored that there's far far more to this mystical "quality" than the one simplistic parameter. Far more than I suggested too, and I only addressed one factor relating to the ripple.

Reply to
kony

I hope not.

Reply to
kony

You're the one claiming ripple at full load. Thus a current spec was required to put that in context.

Reply to
kony

Is it all or are you going to post a dozen more fragmented, troll-like mindless replies instead of anything both on-topic and comprehensive as it should have been in the first place?

Reply to
kony

What could we think? You demonstrate lack of understanding about designing for the load. This is basic stuff, yet you go into a cursing frenzy as if our ears will melt.

Reply to
kony

In general no, but if you want to take some kind of abstract idea about overvoltage burning through things, "maybe" more are, but it doesn't consider manufacturing defects, more blatant design problems, use/abuse problems, environmental damage, and in these bold new days of Pb-free components and solder, even tin whisker growth. "Some" of these might lead back to a resultant overheating, but the overheating itself wasn't really what we'd tend to call the failure, just the result of a prior failure.

Reply to
kony

This is pointless, anyone can look on the bottom of their drive and a large percentage will see there is no tab. They aren't even sunk on the underside to the copper either, at least none that I've aware of and I ALWAYS examine drives.

Typically on modern parts you may have some SMT transistors with tabs but the rest are sunk by their leads only.

Reply to
kony

So you conveniently snipped out THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD VALIDATE YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT.

So, you have nothing.

Reply to
kony

It appears you don't even remember what this thread was about and how the chip readings related to it.

The test has to be applicable towards the goal. The data accumulated has to be applicable in the REAL WORLD, not only in your hypothetical "somebody knows something" world.

You could have changed my mind about you a litte, if you had made the effort to at least dig up the epoxy packaging specs for that prior "test" I posed, even if you couldn't find the applicable specs, but so far you have only made a very simplistic claim, and I'd already agreed that it would come closer to an accurate temp of the surface of the chip.

From there, things went downhill.

Reply to
kony

They should make a little troll doll that repeats all this when you pull the string.

Reply to
kony

Ok, that concludes today's nonsense. If you want to feel like you win by getting the last word in, go right ahead, there's nothing on-topic you want to intelligently discuss so I'm done.

Reply to
kony

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

The transient current has nothing to do with those frequencys, child.

Taint RIPPLE, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Phat Bytestard wrote

Pathetic, really.

Then there's when a bond wire comes off...

Pathetic, really.

Having fun thrashing that straw man are you, wanker ?

No wonder you got the bums rush, right out the door.

Reply to
Rod Speed