Typical mains power for mid-range PC?

The view is really sweet after you filter Rod Speed out. Try it!

Otherwise he appears in other peoples' posts, that he's baited his way into.

Reply to
Ed Light

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Irrelevant to his stupid pig ignorant claim that the drive design heat doesnt vary.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It's even suspiciously cool, most rooms aren't

Reply to
kony

... please do describe the heat path to us, Rod. The chips create same heat, either cooled on their surface or through the leads to the copper on the PCB. That PCB must also shed the heat. Let's suppose they have a really, really advanced design that somehow 'sinks away the heat to the metal drive frame.

Even then Rod, THAT SAME SIDE OF THE DRIVE is what needs the airflow.

Since you were off to such a lousy start again, I went ahead and snipped out the rest of the nonsense.

Reply to
kony

... but he's good for a few laughs too... If only there were less repetition, I want more amusement than reading "bs way out of paper bag" 200 times in a row.

Reply to
kony

Funny, I had the same opinion of you. Funny how that Zalman product you like, is never needed in a properly set up system.

Reply to
kony

He keeps a few like that in his clipboard. Don't encourage him, he might enlarge his supply like KMan! :-(

-- VWW

Reply to
VWWall

In a chip, but unfortunately, having that one point temp measurement is not any guarantee that some other chip on the same PCB, or the bearings, etc, are cool enough.

The Zalman product does as much as they can do, not being able to custom design to cool many different drives which are a moving target over time.

Unfortunately, the sides of a drive's frame are not very important to cool relative to the rest. It'd be better than nothing but far worse than (and completely unnecessary if you have) a typical bay where all the chassis intake air flows through it.

It may help cool the motor some but the product could not do very well for the purpose of total drive cooling. Even if it did a great job sinking away heat from the sides, that is not the goal, it is distanced from the source of the heat so not very effective at cooling the hottest portions of the drive.

Heatsinks applied with frag tape to any hotter areas should do better, be cheaper, but still unnecessary given a good rack and flow through it. It just isn't hard to cool drives, quietly, when routing the same airflow the system already needed, past the drives first.

Reply to
kony

Hmm. Well, I'm looking at 18C right now. The wall thingy says 16C. Cool breeze coming in. The HD is a Samsung SP1203N. It's in a 5 1/4" bay on rails. I've drilled 3 holes in the slot cover and in the one below it. The PSU fan is 120mm and running at 1250 rpm.

Weather online says 18C.

Too, the cpu heatsink is ducted by aluminum tape to the 80mm case fan running at 1800 rpm, so the only cpu heat in there is radiant heat (I'm not a scientist).

It's really quiet. The fans are quiet models.

The gpu is a 6600GT running 2D at this time. But I don't think that heat gets up where the HD is in the 2nd slot from the top.

If I run the psu fan slower the HD temp. goes up.

With more conventional room temps it runs in the high 20's and gaming with the room warm in may reach into the low 30's.

Pretty neat, eh?

I think a newer drive may run hotter.

Reply to
Ed Light

kony wrote

Just how many of you are there between those ears, gutless ?

And when you are so stupid that you cant even manage to work out what those screws that hold a case front onto the tube go thru with the tube, its a tad unlikely that you will be able to manage something a little more complicated like how those Barras get rid of the head from the logic.

Even if someone was actually stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Wrong when there is a rubber mat between the logic and the metal plate on that side of the drive, child.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:21:20 -0700, "Ed Light" Gave us:

You know... I really should.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:22:12 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

He didn't you retarded f*ck. He was talking about a plate that was attached to the PCB on a particular drive.

It was YOU that came back thinking he was talking about the lid.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:24:08 -0700, "Ed Light" Gave us:

Could be right on the PCB, or could be a remote sensor (off the shelf flex PCB type) mounted to the case.

Spindle motors and bearings are generally not the item that fails on a drive these days. It is usually the spindle drivers.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:27:28 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

Yes, dumbfuck... even the "barras" main cooling requisite was the driver/controller PCB itself (still is), not the platter box/drive case, whichever one likes to refer to it as.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:33:37 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

Totally relevant, you retarded f*ck. A rubber isolated drive conducts NO heat the "bay stack".

You are one clueless bastard, and I have succeeded in showing folks reading this thread that fact, and I will cease responding to your dim witted ass presently.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:33:37 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

Totally incorrect, retard boy.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:23:02 -0400, kony Gave us:

I never mentioned any such product. You are confusing me with someone else.

I told the person looking at it that it does work to cool a drive. I never said anything about whether or not it was neccessary.

Nor did I say that I "liked it".

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:50:33 -0400, kony Gave us:

Taking heat away from any portion of the drive's case will effectively reduce the entire drive's temperature, short of the PCB, which is typically not conduction cooled via the case. In fact, it is generally isolated from it as the case and spindle motor run hotter than the PCB.

The whole idea of the product is conduction cooling.

Yes, it would.

Sure it would. Just not the PCB assembly.

It is also pure aluminum, which WILL conduct heat away from it's source.

Not always.

Yes, but not all cases manage air flow correctly.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:59:41 -0700, "Ed Light" Gave us:

My AMD 64 X2 runs very cool as well.

My PCIx card runs at 35C at the GPU, and the CPU runs at 38C in a

80F environ. They get hotter when I run 3D games like Scorched Earth 3D or BFII. Then the CPU heats up to 50 or so max, and the GPU hardly misses a beat, pegging 39.

The new AMDs are far cooler than my MP dual mobo was. They ran at

140F when I ran intensive apps or games. They also ran that way when they ran two instances of a distributed process like Seti or protein folding.

I am 100% satisfied with my case temps, and even run the thing open often. I hardly notice the digital noise in my TV when I do so I am not worried.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard