Breaking locks instead of opening doors.... help!!! :(

I'm not sure if it's my fault or if the door is crapy but when i pick a lock it seems to break. When the keyhole turns the door wont open. These are doorknob keyholes i've been practiceing on. Diffrent brands ranging from 4 to five dollars.

Reply to
The Snowfish.

What are you picking it with? A crowbar? :)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Turning the cylinder core might just be unlocking the lock and not designed to retract the latch. If that's not the case, take it apart and see what's broken.

If you can't afford to buy new, reasonably descent locks to practice with, check garage sales. A lot of locksmiths I know have one every year and offer for sale just about all the used locks (Schlage,, Kwikset, Yale, etc.) gathered over the year, for $2-$10 each. About the only thing wrong with them is the finish.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

A battle axe :p

Reply to
The Snowfish.

for 11 bux i bought a nice deadbolt, the other day at walmart. If i break the dead bolt i'm gonna give up using picks and practice chopping doors down with my hands.

Reply to
The Snowfish.

If you turn the deadbolt plug 180 degrees you will probably jam it when the drivers fall into the bottom of the keyway.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Use same tools on your computer key board?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I keep on hand an assortment of key blanks cut lower than their lowest depth as 'tools' to insert in keyways before I spin them 180-degrees. It keeps the pins out of the broaching.

Reply to
Rad