can direction of rotation for unlocking of a Schlage F51 lockset be reversed?

... without breaking through the skin, yeah. And making sure the door has a solid piece in the right place to support that hole.

Hmmm. I haven't done this but the same answer might apply: How do folks generally run the wire chase across the door for electrically released locksets without getting into trouble?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Sorry, the F-51 will always unlock to the right.

If you want left to open, use Kwikset, or commercial grade Schlage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I've seen....

1) a thin slot routed into face of door, then repaired after the wire was buried. 2) A special bit and boring jig built just for this.

Good luck.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

And I thought I was the only one who thought of rigging up a door and lock that way!

Rather than try to bore a horizontal hole through the door, I would (and have) either build a door from proper lumber and glue and incorporate the latch passage in the process, or modify an existing door and recover it with a new door skin. Either method would work perfectly well, and building your own door isn't rocket science.

Table saw, hole saw, chisels, skill and knowledge make a custom door. A coathook mounted at eye level > > tough part is going to be drilling the hole all the way across the door. >

Reply to
Rad