**** LOCK PICKING ****

That's just it... They ONLY yank them when someone like you actually complains about EACH and EVERY one of them individually. So unless you guys are planning to set up some kind of Ebay cop rotation to do just that, they will continue to be listed and continue to be bought and sold. Personally, I could care less. Just easier for me to order from Ebay (at a cheaper price) than to call my supplier and then have to go pick it up, rather than have it delivered. I'll live.

So, PRIOR to you guys setting up such a plan, REALITY dictates Ebay as a viable solution to the Belgium guy's problem. Hence the reference to 'reality'. Right or wrong, whether you like it or not, whether you support it or not, it's still a viable solution, or, rather, WAS until this thread came into existance.

Sorry... Didn't know you guys actually WANTED to waste time checking my sources.

That's right... 'EVERYONE else must be lying' goes with your 'EVERYONE else is wrong' attitude. I should have caught that, but I didn't. My apologies.

Duly noted and logged for future reference.

On second thought, it's not my goal in life to make life easier for you.

Reply to
Aegis

Don't recall that ever happening. Came close a few times probably.

Reply to
Aegis

Once again, for you slow ones:

They haven't been getting yanked (pulled). Did I mention they haven't been getting yanked? (Until now that we've started this discussion at least).

Never seen a seller on Ebay not willing to ship outside the US if you are willing to pay for it. Most will say, at most, to contact them specifically for shipping outside the US.

And the lockpick set I bought wasn't overpriced... Unless my local supplier is overpriced as well (which COULD be; open mind here). But the Ebay picks were less than my local guy.

Reply to
Aegis

That's the cool thing... No state law. Just one about possession which does not apply to me (I meet the definition of legal possession). Nothing, however, about buying or receiving. (There IS for selling, but I wasn't selling.)

As far as the federal law goes, it only regulates trade of these items across state lines, not within a state.

Reply to
Aegis

Once again... They were cheaper than my local supplier.

Reply to
Aegis

I don't sell locksmith supplies. ...at all.

In my state, it is illegal to posess a lockpick if it is intended to be used in a crime. ...also illegal to sell a set to someone if THEY intend to use it in a crime.

Hard thing to prove.

BUT, I don't commit crimes (except maybe speeding every now and then). I use lockpicks in the line of work only.

Reply to
Aegis

LOL Now you are thinking in realistic terms!

Reply to
Aegis

Try to keep up. The very first example you posted had already been pulled by the time I even read it.

Then you're local guy is probably way overpriced. Anything over about $1.50 each for basic picks is overpriced. The very fact that almost all sets sell you

2 useless tools for every truely useful one makes them overpriced.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Yeah I've heard that somewhere.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

My guess about your age is based upon your posting and inability to think logically, all I have to go on. As far as your argument the fact that you stand by something so completely discredited is proof of what I just stated.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

It regulates all sale by mail. If you received your picks from an in state supplier by other than USPS then it does not apply to you. Otherwise it does.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Inability to think logically? You are an expert in logic?

And yes, I still stand by my original argument.

You are saying that learning lockpicking as an introduction to locksmithing is now not only, in your OPINION, not a good place to start, but you actually take it further to say it is actually 'dicredited'?! By whom? You? A few others? It was tinkering with locks that got me INTERESTED in the rest of locksmithing. I started with lockpicking. It worked for me. Maybe not for all... But it did for ME. So what? I'M discredited too?

Reply to
Aegis

And once again (look up at the parentheses) "Until now that we've started this discussion at least." They only pulled it because someone HERE actually contacted them BASED on my post here. Even as we speak, the ones they didn't receive complaints on are still running, closing, and funding.

Reply to
Aegis

I'm not going to delve into a bunch of federal law books. All the statements about this that I've seen, though are similar to the following from Ebay: The sale of lock-picking devices is highly regulated within the United States. In addition, federal law prohibits interstate mailing of locksmithing devices, violation of which is a misdemeanor. Locksmithing devices can also only be sold to authorized recipients. Since the majority of merchandise is delivered by mail and it is difficult to verify the person is authorized, the sale of locksmithing devices is not allowed on eBay.

Soooo.... 'by mail', you are partially correct, but you missed one important word, "intERstate". Sounds like "intRAstate" mailing would be ok to me. If the feds want to violate the states' territory, though, it would be right about par for the course. I checked the US Postal Service site, but couldn't find anything specific to lock-picking devices.

Reply to
Aegis

Correction: Found the link to US Code Sec. 3002a. - Nonmailability of locksmithing devices

(a) Any locksmithing device is nonmailable mail, shall not be carried or delivered by mail, and shall be disposed of as the Postal Service directs, unless such device is mailed to -

(1) a lock manufacturer or distributor;

(2) a bona fide locksmith;

(3) a bona fide repossessor; or

(4) a motor vehicle manufacturer or dealer.

That would apply to ALL mailings regardless of same/different state. So you are correct. Unless, of course, it is mailed to one of the 4 above. Funny thing about Texas: to be a bona fide locksmith all you have to do is say "Hi! I'm a bona fide locksmith!"

Reply to
Aegis

mention they haven't

discussion at least).

already been pulled

that we've started

contacted them BASED on

yep, I sure did. its was nice of you to point out their wrong.

on are

thats correct and they will be until ebay discovers them, by (whatever) means. no matter how you want to sugar coat it :-) you have missed the point that many here have tried to give you. (those type advertisements are still against their policy) why don't you suck it up and admit it instead of standing behind a wrong ?

I tend to agree with PYSH. that type attitude is not doing much for your creditability.

Reply to
"Key

message

<AhMFb.121$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>

message

<DrHFb.490$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>

against their

the law, at least

technical about it. Also

indicate that you

possession which

possession). Nothing,

selling, but I wasn't

trade of these items

picks from an in

you. Otherwise it

books. All the

following from Ebay:

within the United

mailing of

misdemeanor. Locksmithing

Since the majority

to verify the

allowed on eBay.

missed one

would be ok to me. If

it would be right

Service site, but

Nonmailability of

be carried or

Service directs,

same/different state. So you

4 above. Funny

have to do is say

that won't be the case for long. the 78th Legislature has passed Senate Bill 1252 see the TEXAS LEGISLATIVE ACTION COMMITTEE (TLAC) REPORT

quote: In a nutshell, the legislation requires most locksmiths to register with the Department of Public Safety. The DPS will conduct a criminal background check and require a fee before issuing a certificate of registration that permits a person to perform locksmithing for the general public.

Reply to
"Key

he has credibility? you are being nice, IMO...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

creditability.

yea, "it bees that way sum times" been their, done that :-)

Reply to
"Key

I'm not missing YOUR point. I admit that Ebay does not allow those listings per their own rules. You are still ignoring MY point. Ebay still is ALLOWING those listings (by ignorance, non-enforcement, maybe even laziness).

The only attitude I see here is yours in your steadfast attempts to simply 'win an arguement'.

Are the listings still there? Yes Are people buying and selling lockpicks there? Yes

You can point at their 'rules' until you are blue in the face, but in the REAL world, those lockpicks are still moving.

Reply to
Aegis