**** LOCK PICKING ****

I am aware of the bill. My representative voted for it. All it needs now is the Governor's signature and I see no reason he won't sign it. Just another license to hang on my wall. I'm quite fond of collecting them.

Reply to
Aegis

---snipped to trim---

All it needs now is

it. Just another

them.

we are now having a similar thing happen here in Louisiana. however, its already a done deal. what's bad about it is that the alarm folks have taken us locksmiths under their wing and lobbied and got passed a locksmith licensing law. they didn't even let any locksmiths know it was happening till it was done.

my2

Reply to
"Key

---snip---

you have not seen my attitude. you would know if I gave you one.

whatever ? I give up on this useless thread.

Reply to
"Key

Your original argument with regard to ebay allowing lockpicks and with your response to the suggestion to Google with "I like ebay" or words to that effect.

As to picking locks being an introduction to locksmithing I suppose anything having to do with the subject could get you interested in it. As has been said before though picking locks is far from all you need to know to be a locksmith, and while it's sometimes useful it really isn't even a mandatory skill. I knew one financially successful shop owner who didn't even want to hear about his employes wasting time picking locks in the vast majority of situations. His rationale: Drill it and sell them a new one. I always thought of that as a little wasteful but to each their own.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

You have no rational reason to speculate that anyone here did anything. I have looked at code machines on ebay and even bid on two of them a couple years ago but they are invariably pulled as are most lockpick and other locksmith tool sales. If a few people manage to slip them through (probably by running very short auctions) then that still has nothing to do with my original point which was that ebay does not allow them.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

And in the REAL world how many get pulled for every completed sale? Why would anyone waste their time buying there hoping that their auction doesn't get pulled when they can go to a hundred other places and order w/o uncertainty.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Oh... Well I still like Ebay for just about anything... I still shop around so I know what a 'good price' actually is for what I'm looking for, but I can usually find it at Ebay for less. But I don't HAVE to have brand new stuff either, depending on the product. And that's where the most savings seem to be. (Reconditioned products waranteed by the manufacturer for instance.)

I'll try to pick a lock for 10 minutes max.. then I drill... I have my limits and 10 minutes is it... Not a patience thing; just a time vs cost thing.

Reply to
Aegis

I already conceded to that point. Watch them for a while though. See for yourself how many actually get yanked without outside interference.

Reply to
Aegis

How did the alarm folks get involved? ...and what's their motive?

Here in Texas, they tried to make locksmiths get security alarm licenses (mainly because of access control applications, maglocks, etc I think) but it didn't last.

Reply to
Aegis

it.

sign

collecting

Louisiana.

us

happening

motive?

not really sure how they got involved. Personally, I think that they wanted the (possible) income they would get "IF" the locksmiths would join their association. They gave us the usual sales pitch at a meeting (they arranged) concerning the new locksmith law. something like, "if you would join us? we have the relation already built with the state"

Locksmiths/CCTV/Access Control Locksmith Requirements - Including CCTV & Access Control Systems.

alarm licenses

etc I think) but

I really feel your time is coming. hope they don't pass something like they did over here in Louisiana (see link above) the requirements are a crock !!!

g'day

Reply to
"Key

the alarm association here ALMOST got a law passed that it was ILLEGAL to repair, install, fix, replace, etc ANY lock in the state UNLESS it was by a certified alarm installer...

it did NOT exempt car dealers, carpenters, etc....

LUCKILY it was shot down.

(BTW, you could NOT join the association, either) UNLESS you were in the alarm business (no locksmiths or carpenters or mechanics allowed)

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

That's some crazy law you got over there. So a, say burglar alarm technician, would have to hold an "I" license to install an access control system. But an "I" license is called a "Locksmith Field Technician". He's not even a locksmith but has an official state title stating that he is!?

Must live withing 150 miles of your office? Who cares?

And it applies to CCTV too? What about Wal-Mart? They have their own people come in from out of state to install their CCTV (normally; maybe not in LA now).

That's just crazy.

Here in Texas, they put a caveat into the statute that regulates security-related businesses that simply states that it does not apply to locksmiths who don't actually do alarm/CCTV work. (...which squashed the whole locksmith-alarm connection in one fell swoop). I just did a search and it's the only place I can find mention of the word 'locksmith' in ALL of the Texas statutes!

Reply to
Aegis

was

the

Louisiana's was set up different. see Locksmiths/CCTV/Access Control Locksmith Requirements - Including CCTV & Access Control Systems.

We fall under the (Fire Marshall's Office) I called our state Fire Marshall's Office in Baton Rouge with some questions. They are really hard to talk to. They have an attitude about it already.

Still don't care much for it.

Reply to
"Key

for

won't

taken

passed a

their

income

meeting

built

security

maglocks,

in

burglar alarm

an access control

Technician". He's

stating that he is!?

yea, if I understand it correctly ? a burglar alarm technician will also have to qualify and do ongoing training each year to renew his license. if he plans to do Locksmith work ? they do not have a (grand father) clause. guess it will work both ways ? they are saying that the test will be simple. (hmmm?)

my thought exactly !

their own people

maybe not in LA

believe Wal-Mart will have to use a (louisiana licensed) technician unless they have Wal-Mart full time employed technicians.

no thats (lousyana) :-)

regulates

does not apply to

(...which squashed the

just did a search and

'locksmith' in ALL of the

believe it will be that same here if "locksmiths don't actually do alarm/CCTV work". its so early in the game, I could stand corrected on this..

g'day

Reply to
"Key

The governor did sign it into law on 6-20-03. Read further down here -

"Key" is right in the quote above on registration of locksmiths. There is also licensing of access control installers. CCTV appears to fall under the alarm license, although the new TBPS (TCPS/DPS) has stated that steps will be taken to make it easier for locksmiths to get an alarm license by not requiring the 2 years actual alarm experience.

Reply to
KDF

Oh goodie! I get 2 more licenses! Locksmith and Access Control... Already have the Alarm license...

Reply to
Aegis

Ok... The way I read it, my Alarm license covers the Access Control part, so I only get 1 more license :)

Reply to
Aegis

Okay. Can anyone say "Bandwidth"? Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

Um... Baaaaandwidth...

Reply to
Aegis

VERY GOOD!!!! Now can you guess why I asked?