OT - a newsgroup question

I'm using Outlook Express

I have my "Current View" set to "Hide Read Messages". Lately (last several weeks) on the left, under "Folders" alt.locksmithing and others will show, for example, 6 unread messages but I can only see 1 or two, or show, say...

14 unread messages but I can only see 10.

My ISP is still verizon DSL and I never used to have this problem. Any idea why, lately, I'm not seeing all the unread messages?

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Do you have any rules set to ignore certain messages? i.e. messages over a certain size or ignored users or subjects

I get the same thing happen once a thread reply goes over size limitations that I have set.

Reply to
ahl

Check any filters. Did you killfile (Plonk) anyone?

Me

Nope. Nobody's killfiled.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Yep. Checked that.

I forgot to mention... this is happening on both of my computers (laptop and desktop)

Last night I posted from the laptop. This morning I'm on the desktop computer downstairs and alt.locksmithing is showing 8 new messages, but only

3 came up.

I'm starting to wonder if my ISP changed something on there end.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Various conditions [cancels etc] can cause a discrepancy between what OE thinks and what the server thinks. The easiest way to 'fix' the read discrepancy is with your 'catch up' function [Edit menu/ Catch up]. The easiest way to get more information about the different 'counts' is to enable your status bar [View menu/ Layout/ check Status bar] which displays at the window bottom showing messages, unread, and not downloaded. One way to straighten out some kinds of 'messes' is to reset your pointers. R click the folder/newsgroup and select Properties [or L select it and use File/ Properties] and then Local File/ Reset button. Sometimes resetting is necessary to be able to 'get' messages which seem to be unavailable.

The resetting wipes out everything; there are no downloadeds, no reads, no nothing. Then you have to start from scratch and download headers and deal with what isn't marked read. One of the reasons you sometimes have to reset is because if the newsserver has gotten itself outawhack, the information your newsreader has doesn't fit with the information the newsserver has. The identifying characteristics of a message are its message id and its ref number from the servers point of view. From OE's point of view it is the message id.

Reply to
Mike Easter