Problem with a 91' LeBaron trunk lock

Hi~ Maybe someone here can help. The trunk on my car will not open. Chrysler says 'take it to a locksmith- we no longer have copies of older keys'. The locksmith says 'take it to Chrysler- they can replace the lock'. So, who knows the best way to handle this?

-=sneak

Reply to
sneaky

WD 40... SOAK IT... this thing have an inside lever/button to open the trunk? IF SO, bet the lock has never been used...

and then, the lock needs replacing... they corrode REAL BAD..

and AFAIAC, those are the WORST manufactured locks for a car, bar NONE.

locksmith can replace it, ASSUMING the WD 40 dont help

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I think I would find another locksmith. This is a routine problem. One thing you might have the locksmith check is if you are using the valet key, that is not supposed to open the trunk.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I can't remember if the LeBaron uses one key or two. Single sided or double.

But they do salt up, adn freeze. Sometimes youcan free them up withWD, sometimes they need to be drilled out and replaced. I've done that kind of thing now and again.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

If I recall, LeBaron (91) uses 1 key 2-sided

Reply to
Aegis

IRRC a 91 would be the first generation of the double sided key. they had an additional tumbler in the trunk lock for the valet master set-up.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

correct... the key IF its a copy might say valet if I remember right. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

problem. One

using the valet key,

in the solvent.

If I remember correctly ??? they started with the valet key in 92 ?

was a long time ago :-)

Reply to
"Key

sided key. they had

master set-up.

right.

wasn't the first generation of the double sided key" in

1990 ? also, I don't remember seeing a key with "valet" on it till 92.

then again, thats a while back :-)

Reply to
"Key

When I said first generation I was referring to the snubby nose key, then came the really thin key with the longer nose (93) and then back to the thicker key but with the longer nose (94+)

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

  1. > >

nose key, then

then back to the

in the solvent.

some 90's also used the "snubby nose" Y-154

Reply to
"Key