Problem with door latch

I posted on this group a few weeks ago about having a problem with a door. The door wouldn't close with the automating closing mechanism. After trying several things, I found that there are two causes.

First of all, the hole in the door case that should receive the latch when the door closes wasn't vertical to the ground. This was fixed.

So now the door closes with the automatic mechanism - most of the time. Sometimes the latch will reach the hole (as it moves with the aid of the mechanism) but when it touches the case it won't retract inside the door.

This doesn't happen always, sometimes you can just push the door away and let it close again and it will do it fine.

Why does this happen? I suspect there is too much friction there, so a little oil should fix the problem. THe thing is, we keep putting oil on that damn latch and it's ok for a couple of days and then it starts doing its thing again. Why?

Isn't there some other way to improve it without just putting oil on it? I've had the latch changed, I've had the hole in the case changed, everything seems to work for a couple of days and then it starts malfunctioning again.

I've thought of slightly sanding down either the latch or the metal that it touches on the case as it closes.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
dsprt

have you tried to adjust the door closer ?

Reply to
Key

What exactly does vertical to the ground mean?

There could be lots of reasons. Air pressure increase when the HVAC is blowing could be one cause for intermitent latching.

Another cause can be an improperly installed or sized door closer.

There could be something bent or worn with your lock.

The door itself could be out of alingment or the pivots or hinges could be loose or worn.

There can be lots of things.

Probably not a good idea.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"'Key" snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net wrote in news:QuGdnQKvGMZx5ODbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

No. I can climb and have a look, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Reply to
qwerty

depends on the type closer. there should be one or maybe two adjustment screws. if two screws ? one will control the speed of the door from all the way open to about a foot from shutting all the way. the other will control the speed the final foot of movement. just remember to move the adjustment screw/ screws just a little at a time. usually clockwise slows the closer action and counter-clockwise speeds it up. then just open the door completely and watch how it closed. repeat till the door shuts properly.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

by by again

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote: Subject: Qwerty nym shift - Plonk again.

What do you mean, specifically and exactly?

Reply to
Mike Easter

Doesn't look like the same qwerty to me. Not much connection between the topics. One somewhat inflamatory the other not at all. Not using the same readers either.

Reply to
Steve

Addressing the persona/s dsprt snipped-for-privacy@ihopethisisnotadomain.com and qwerty snipped-for-privacy@ihopethisisnotadomain.com who post from a forthnet.gr IP connectivity and newsserver using an Xnews agent in the thread - Problem with door latch

... as opposed to the earlier "qwerty" snipped-for-privacy@qwerty.com who posts via the aioe newsserver using OE 2800.1807 in the Diebold threads.

They are not the same persona or 'handwriting'.

Reply to
Mike Easter