Supra-c Series 3 combination ??

Back in 1986 when we bought this house the selling Realtor left us with the key lock box because she said they were going to a different brand and it would be good place to keep a spare key. It's a combination lock with 26 letters in random order around the dial. Well I can't recall the combination, and I can't recall where I wrote it down. I kind of remember the combination being three letters but not sure and other than 26x26x26 or approaching 17,000 attempts is there any other way? Google doesn't find them in Salem, Oregon. tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

It is. Left or right three times to the first letter, the other way twice to the second, straight to the third and push the button to retract the latch.

I manipulated mine open after I forgot the combo. It took a significant amount of time sitting in front of the radio while the back of the mind tried to remember what combo I'd used and listened to what the lock was telling me. Treat as a coffee-table puzzle...

A local locksmith will probably attack it with tools and then repair it. I won't put details on a public newsgroup, but at least the older ones had a fairly sraightforward solution. Fast, so it may not be unreasonably expensive.

On the other hand, you may not want to spend money *or* time on it. They aren't all that expensive, if you need one. How much is it really worth to you?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Joe If I can't open it, it'll lay around for another 20 years, by that time who knows, I'm 64! Can you give me any info direct, off group?

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

The most basic advice: If you set the combo originally, you probably picked something you could remember. A friend's name or nickname. The start of some word, an abbreviation for a phrase. Try all those which you think you might have used. (In my case it turned out to be my mother's initials, backward, because I'd last used it to leave a spare key for her in case I wasn't home when she got there and I figured she'd remember that... but I didn't.)

Beyond that we're starting to get into "play with the lock, see if you can figure out how to get it to tell you what's working and what isn't." And that's a level of detail I just don't go into with strangers. (I have declined to teach some *friends* because I knew that, while they were basically honest, they were likely to show off at the wrong time and get themselves in trouble.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

The Real Estate Co. is out of business and the lady realtor is long gone. Are the combinations on these locks changeable when open or do they come preset from the factory and not changeable without a bunch of trouble? I'm going to have search my old file box for the name of the gal and her company for initials. tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Yes. Each wheel has an inner and outer section which can be unsnapped and realigned to change its letter. There's a small arrow molded into one side and letters stamped on the other so you can see what you're selecting.

If you didn't set the combo... Sigh. Faster and easier to hand this off to someone who already knows what to do with them.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Nope I didn't set the combo, but I do recall having to go past the middle letter when opening it. This challenge reminds of when my daughter started high school and asked me to get her a Master Combination Padlock for her school locker. As I recall about a week later she was complianing that someone had gotten into her locker. She found out thru the grapevine that some of the boys had an uncanny capability to "crack" the combo in no time. If this is true then the combination locks are nearly totally worthless.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Depends on the model, but some padlocks can be manipulated open with enough time and/or skill. Just as pin-tumbler locks can be picked with enough ditto and ditto. How much security do you really expect for $10?

But in fact these do deliver enough security for their purpose, which is to deter casual tampering/theft/malice, by slowing folks down enough that someone is likely to take notice and intervene (or at least remember and report the incident). That's sufficient to prevent most incidents.

For the rest: Be aware that a locker is not a safe, and don't be obvious about storing anything in one that someone else might particularly want.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

I suspect the realtor (or mutual) had several of these and they were all set to the same combo. Tough to guess. Is this the wall mount or the padlock style?

I'd personally print up a list of letters, a-z, to make a checkoff sheet, and start spinning the dial. yes, a lot of work for little monetary reward.

I believe Supra is still in business.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

It's a padlock style and I left the hasp or U in the unlocked position so only the lock box itself is locked.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

curious question, we want it open because? SURELY not to get the key out of it.. cheaper to just get a copy of the key made, than worry about opening the box --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

be advised, that they 'can be' opened.. so, lets find a place to hide it, where its not so easily seen.. I had one that a realtor had locked on a house and it had 'failed', the newer style, BTW.. he had one that was open, and I looked at it, and got the broken one opened in 2 minutes.. he needed the key out, to give back to the homeowner, and after I got it open it was going to be trashed because of the NEW updated version.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

That's not my problem. The flower pot used to work till the kids (now grown but still with old habits) take the key use it and forget ot put it back and then can't remember what they did with it. They'll be on their own but I won't we at their mercy. BTW I read the 34 page article by Braze about manipulating combo safes by feel. The lock is so rough that I get "tactile feedback" everywhere. Maybe the safemakers ought to put rougher bearing in their units so that there's tactile feedback everywhere.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

In fact, some manipulation-resistant locks -- which Blaze didn't bother to look at as a class, invalidating his whole document -- do incorporate "noise" sources as one way of hiding what's going on.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

some do. Mosler MP302 and 402.. and there are probably others. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

So come guys, how about pointing me to a site where I can get some tips to crack my Supra. tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Start with the FAQ, which observes that advice on cracking things will rarely be found here.

How do we know it's _yours_?

Or, turning that around, how do _you_ know that someone else reading this won't use information posted here to open your box and break into your house?

If you want to treat it as a puzzle, figure it out yourself. If you don't, either buy a new one or pay a few bucks to get some assistance.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Where is the FAQ? I am treating it as a puzzle and I own it.. I don't care if someone else knows the combo because I'll change it after I open it.. If I can't open it with advice off the net I'll have to keep it as a coffee table puzzle.. I now kind of recall the pattern... One more question: Can I drag the unlock mechanism while approaching the third letter, or will that action move the other disks? tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

g'day

Reply to