Faradaic Activity in Dental Amalgams

Amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth.

There isn't any test you can think of which should not already have been carried out.

And the results should be available.

That, my friend, is science.

Keith P Walsh

PS, further enquiries concerning the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:

Keith P Walsh

I'm just wondering how many people are going to admit to probing themselves with an Ohm meter...

Reply to
billkatz

is that what keith is trying to do? get people to probe themselves??

i was beginning to think he was looking for an alternate energy source in amalgam to solve the energy crisis!

Reply to
Dave

amalgam to solve the energy crisis!

Depending on the amount of coronal discharge; he can rent himself out as a human disco ball.

Reply to
billkatz

yes, it's real funny.

Stay in denial

Reply to
LadyLollipop

Do you know if experimental investigations have ever been carried out to measure the response of the neuron to any "net current and voltage,fields, capacitance, etc produced externally by the amalgam"?

Keith P Walsh

PS, it has been demonstrated experimentally that metal amalgam dental fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. See:

Keith P Walsh

adults also

but you don't know all of the tests that have been carried out

and you can't state absolutely that they aren't available

yes. OTOH your refusal to do research is quackery.

Reply to
Robert Morien

And the first dentists to place them were called quacks and were found guilty of.malpractice and suspended.

And you know?

And you can state?

Your *excuse* for REFUSING to answer questions is called, irrelevant,

It is more than clear, you are here to HARASS.

Do look up the definition of quackery.

Reply to
LadyLollipop

How does that work? "We don't know anything about this so it can't possibly be of any importance"? That isn't science. It's just sheer blind arrogance.

No, I didn't say that amalgam "has the potential of generating 350mv." I said that it has been demonstrated experimentally that amalgam fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to

350mV. My use of the word "potentials" here is synonymous with the word "voltages". The measurement of electrical voltages of this order of magnitude in amalgams is commonplace, and it places an obligation on the part of those who continue to promote the use of amalgams in restorative dentistry to take all reasonable steps to demonstrate that these electrical voltages are not capable of dissipating electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads.

The 350mV is not a "transient maximum". It represents the magnitude of largest of the electrical potentials measured in the study which I quoted, but there is no indication in the findings of this study that the level of this potential is transient in nature. Moreover, an alternative investigation into the nature of the electrical potentials generated by amalgam fillings appears to have established that such potentials are found to quickly return to their maximum "steady state" values after being discharged. See:

If you are suggesting that the established scientific knowledge of neurological physiology in the region of the chest is sufficient to determine whether or not the electrical potentials generated by metal amalgam dental fillings are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's teeth then I would argue that you are at best cutting corners, and at worst evading the issue.

And I would also argue that since amalgam fillings are placed in childrens' teeth then there is little justification for it.

Well I would suggest that by using modern instrumentation it might be possible to detect whether or not the electrical potentials generated by dental amalgams are able to influence neurological activity in the vicinity of teeth with amalgam fillings. (I prefer the scientific approach rather than guesswork.)

And if such an investigation were to show that they are, it might then be appropriate to speculate as to exactly how this happens.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to cross-post this message to the other newsgroups so that the regular correspondents at sci.physics, sci.materials and sci.physics.electromag get an idea of just how easily people such as yourself who may be implicated in or supportive of the use of amalgams in dentistry are able make up excuses for failing to acknowledge their own ignorance.

Best regards to you,

Keith P Walsh

Reply to
Keith P Walsh

yes

Reply to
Robert Morien

A better question would be what experiments have been carried out to measure any neural response to electrical input. For example if someone subjected a tooth nerve directly to a sinusiodal voltage the nerve couldn't distinguish between that and an amalgam causing the voltage. If you did such an experiment you could then draw conclusions about what type of electrical output the amalgam would require to affect the nerve. In fact electrical pulp testing does use this principal, but the voltage lead is far away from the tooth nerve (as opposed to an amalgam which could be placed very close to the nerve).

As I said before basically the maximum output from the amalgam is going to be set by the available EM energy traveling in space, as far as electromagnetism is concerned.

I suppose you could take an antenna (by itself without a power source) and connect it to a tooth to simulate an amalgam. I think an antenna or (amalgam antenna) has to be impedance matched to transfer EM energy efficently though so the exact resistnce of the tooth/neuron circuit it is connected to would be important. you could also vary the size of the antenna to see if it picks up different wavlentghs.

You could also take an amalgam and substitute it for an antenna and see if a radio is able to amplify the EM waves it picks up.

You could also take an amalgam and place it in an experimental circuit where it is generating some galvanic effect. you could Add an exteranl Em field and then measure any changes in the circuit current to see if the EM field has any affect on the electrical properties of the amalgam. there is an effect called he hall effect where an external field affects the elecrtical properties of a semiconductor. if indeed you found that was the case for certain amalgams mixed a certai way you could then design an experiment where you subjected a nerve to a voltage (from a voltage generator) that mimiced the combined galvanic/em modulated output of the amalgam, you measured.

As you can see there are many experiments you can perform by swapping out components and treating the circuit components as "black boxes".

Reply to
Clinton

But is that from electromagentic energy or from other effects such as galvansim? the question is how much energy is transferred from EM effects.

Reply to
Clinton

"Keith P Walsh" wrote .......

I believe they keep all that information just outside of Roswell.

carabelli

Reply to
carabelli

And of course moving the magnet is changing the strength of the field in the vicinity of the conductor, as is moving the conductor through the field.

Einstein began his 1905 paper with: "It is known that Maxwell's electrodynamics--as usually understood at the present time--when applied to moving bodies, leads to asymmetries which do not appear to be inherent in the phenomena. Take, for example, the reciprocal electrodynamic action of a magnet and a conductor. The observable phenomenon here depends only on the relative motion of the conductor and the magnet, whereas the customary view draws a sharp distinction between the two cases in which either the one or the other of these bodies is in motion. For if the magnet is in motion and the conductor at rest, there arises in the neighbourhood of the magnet an electric field with a certain definite energy, producing a current at the places where parts of the conductor are situated. But if the magnet is stationary and the conductor in motion, no electric field arises in the neighbourhood of the magnet. In the conductor, however, we find an electromotive force, to which in itself there is no corresponding energy, but which gives rise--assuming equality of relative motion in the two cases discussed--to electric currents of the same path and intensity as those produced by the electric forces in the former case."

Unfortunately he soon forgot it and went on with some rubbish about

[quote] we establish by definition that the "time" required by a turtle to travel from A to B equals the "time" it requires to travel from B to A. [end quote] Ref:
[quote] For velocities greater than that of a turtle our deliberations become meaningless; we shall, however, find in what follows, that the velocity of a turtle in our theory plays the part, physically, of an infinitely great velocity. [quote] Ref:
Einstein can "prove" (ha ha) nothing can go faster than a turtle.

Oops!... Did I say 'a turtle'? Sorry...'light'.

We are still stuck with "It is known that Maxwell's electrodynamics--as usually understood at the present time--when applied to moving bodies, leads to asymmetries which do not appear to be inherent in the phenomena." because the huckster claims

"VII. The Apparent Incompatibility of the Law of Propagation of Light with the Principle of Relativity THERE is hardly a simpler law in physics than that according to which light is propagated in empty space. " --Albert Huckster Einstein

Hardly a simpler law than the Principle of Relativity, and there is NO law of propagation of light at one speed except Einstein's insistence on it.

Apparently he thinks you'll get more voltage by moving the conductor than you will by moving the magnet.

Androcles.

| All this reminds me of the old Gilligan's Island episode where | Gilligan's mouth turned into a radio...

Yep... stupidity.

Androcles

Reply to
Androcles

And then they were released as more and more dentists used amalgam. You see the ones that called them quacks were wrong...they had no scientific studies to back up their claims.

I am not Keith

I am not Keith

Your irrelevent questions aren't worthy of response. Big difference.

Only spammers.

Look up the definition of "LadyLollipop". It's such an endearing term in San Francisco

Reply to
Robert Morien

REPLY

The 350 mV is a well-known figure. Maybe its just me but it seems I have heard this time and time again ... so it MUST be true.

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

So you are saying that amalgams are more dangerous inside a moving train?

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen

It's a misread from an old PubMed article.

"The electrical potentials of 183 amalgam and 11 precious metal restorations, and one set of brackets, were measured. None of the 28 subjects had galvanism, leukoplakia, oral lichen planus, or toxic or allergic reactions to restorations. The potentials of the amalgam restorations increased with age, from about -350 mV NHE at 30 days, to about +100 mV NHE after more than 1000 days. In most subjects potential differences of more than 50 mV were present between restorations; this phenomenon is therefore assumed to be common in healthy populations."

Reply to
billkatz

To say nothing of the patient moving through the Earth's magnetic field...

SP

Reply to
Stovepipe

That is fine Keith. Maybe they can answer your questions. I think you need to provide further study that would imply any clinical relavence. What you have shown so far does ot make that case, IMHO. I ma not being arrrogant. I am just stating my honest opinion.

Good luck with your research and finding answers to your questions.

BTW The abstract you cited was from 1990. The article is written in Polish.

I did not see anything in the abstract the validated anything pointing to clinical relavence. Maybe you can explain to us the link.

Thank you, Sue

Reply to
s.c.madden