Faradaic Activity in Dental Amalgams

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:26:17 +0000 (UTC), Keith P Walsh

I had been away this past 6 weeks and had only checked in various NG's occasionally. Ah ... I see the entertainment provided by the gentleman troll Mr. Keith P. Walsh has returned.
Always well spoken, never uses profanity, a true icon of trolls!!
Nice to see some levity return.
MA Sonjariv
I was beginning to wonder at his absence. I'm glad he's still standing. What DOES he get from this amalgam obsession anyway? Hell, I'll get some amalgam for him and build a biological mockup and test the stuff nine ways from Sunday, if he'll just give it a rest.

Why bother? It's simple enough for him to get the answer, it's apparent the answer isn't important.
But if you do it, charge him $1000 for the answer.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:15:38 -0500, "Stackclimber"

Amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth.
There isn't any test you can think of which should not already have been carried out.
And the results should be available.
That, my friend, is science.
Keith P Walsh
PS, further enquiries concerning the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/intro.htm

adults also

but you don't know all of the tests that have been carried out

and you can't state absolutely that they aren't available

yes. OTOH your refusal to do research is quackery.

And the first dentists to place them were called quacks and were found guilty of.malpractice and suspended.

And you know?

And you can state?

Your *excuse* for REFUSING to answer questions is called, irrelevant,
It is more than clear, you are here to HARASS.
Do look up the definition of quackery.

And then they were released as more and more dentists used amalgam. You see the ones that called them quacks were wrong...they had no scientific studies to back up their claims.

I am not Keith

I am not Keith

Your irrelevent questions aren't worthy of response. Big difference.

Only spammers.

Look up the definition of "LadyLollipop". It's such an endearing term in San Francisco

How does that work? "We don't know anything about this so it can't possibly be of any importance"? That isn't science. It's just sheer blind arrogance.

No, I didn't say that amalgam "has the potential of generating 350mv." I said that it has been demonstrated experimentally that amalgam fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350mV. My use of the word "potentials" here is synonymous with the word "voltages". The measurement of electrical voltages of this order of magnitude in amalgams is commonplace, and it places an obligation on the part of those who continue to promote the use of amalgams in restorative dentistry to take all reasonable steps to demonstrate that these electrical voltages are not capable of dissipating electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads.

The 350mV is not a "transient maximum". It represents the magnitude of largest of the electrical potentials measured in the study which I quoted, but there is no indication in the findings of this study that the level of this potential is transient in nature. Moreover, an alternative investigation into the nature of the electrical potentials generated by amalgam fillings appears to have established that such potentials are found to quickly return to their maximum "steady state" values after being discharged. See:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids !03035&doptstract

If you are suggesting that the established scientific knowledge of neurological physiology in the region of the chest is sufficient to determine whether or not the electrical potentials generated by metal amalgam dental fillings are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's teeth then I would argue that you are at best cutting corners, and at worst evading the issue.
And I would also argue that since amalgam fillings are placed in childrens' teeth then there is little justification for it.

Well I would suggest that by using modern instrumentation it might be possible to detect whether or not the electrical potentials generated by dental amalgams are able to influence neurological activity in the vicinity of teeth with amalgam fillings. (I prefer the scientific approach rather than guesswork.)
And if such an investigation were to show that they are, it might then be appropriate to speculate as to exactly how this happens.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to cross-post this message to the other newsgroups so that the regular correspondents at sci.physics, sci.materials and sci.physics.electromag get an idea of just how easily people such as yourself who may be implicated in or supportive of the use of amalgams in dentistry are able make up excuses for failing to acknowledge their own ignorance.
Best regards to you,
Keith P Walsh
Keith P Walsh wrote:

But is that from electromagentic energy or from other effects such as galvansim? the question is how much energy is transferred from EM effects.

REPLY
The 350 mV is a well-known figure. Maybe its just me but it seems I have heard this time and time again ... so it MUST be true.
Joel

It's a misread from an old PubMed article.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids "31160&doptstract
"The electrical potentials of 183 amalgam and 11 precious metal restorations, and one set of brackets, were measured. None of the 28 subjects had galvanism, leukoplakia, oral lichen planus, or toxic or allergic reactions to restorations. The potentials of the amalgam restorations increased with age, from about -350 mV NHE at 30 days, to about +100 mV NHE after more than 1000 days. In most subjects potential differences of more than 50 mV were present between restorations; this phenomenon is therefore assumed to be common in healthy populations."

Good question.
Can you suggest how anyone might find the answer?
Keith P Walsh
PS, further enquiries regarding the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/intro.htm
Keith P Walsh wrote:

One way is to construct a shield which would absorb EM radition, near the amalgam being tested. Ever notice how the radio goes off under a bridge. Go to a remote location where he EM fields are weak and even cell phones and pagers don't work.
Also you've got to realize that energy moving in an electic field is in the form of propagating waves. therefore induced voltages will be sinsusoidal. In fact, if you look at the output from say an antenna, you can even separate out the EM energy received by frequency. Voltages from galvanism would probably be DC.
You could ask the electical engineering department to look at the voltages being generated with a frequency spectrum meter. Even if the EM radiation was somehow modulating the galvanic voltage you could still match the frequency with that of the closest radio station and compare the output before and after using and EM shield.

or Keith could go to the physics department of his local college/university and ask them this question.
The real question is: Keith, why aren't you doing this?

IIRC, a few years ago he posted some E-mail correspondence with a University professor. In the end, because of KW's inablility to grasp the subject matter and consequent inability to phrase a coherent question, the prof became frustrated and told him to get lost.
carabelli

The real question is: Keith, why aren't you going to the physics department of your local college/university and asking them this?

The real questions are Robert: What is*your* position on the safety of amalgams?
What is *your* position on the electromagnetic properties of typical dental amalgams?
LadyLollipop wrote:

The truth is that if you went to a physics department and asked them to write an equation for changes in hg vapor release as a function of Electromagnetic fields they wouldn't be able to answer.
but if you asked them to determine the amount of EM radiation absorbed and dissipated they could probably come up with a pretty good answer.
the information you posted in the other thread was very interesting but keep in mind that galvanism and changes in chemical behavior in general (including Hg vapor pressure) as a function of EM fields is a separate phenomena from absorbtion and dissipation of Electromagnetic energy by amalgams.

This is true. Few people realize that most Physics Departments have loads of staff sitting around, just waiting for visitors to come in with requests like this ........
Wait a minute, sorry, ,,,,,,, I got that mixed up with the internet.
Joel
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:56:01 GMT, "LadyLollipop"

Too many millivolts to be safe ........