Clock Springs

Does anyone know where I can find formulae for clock springs (i.e. spiral wound torsion springs)? I'm trying to find how large such a spring would need to be to store in the vicinity of 1 kJ, and what design considerations there are, but can only find info on helically-wound torsion springs.

vik

Reply to
vik

Doesn't Newnes Engineering Data Book have something on this. I would look myself for you but am about to get packed for a journey.

Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

I had a look in a little spring design book, It recommended asking the British Horological Institute , in Newark for advice on suitable texts... sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Regular clcok springs aren't torsion springs.

************* DAVE HATUNEN ( snipped-for-privacy@cox.net) ************* * Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * * My typos & mispellings are intentional copyright traps *
Reply to
Hatunen

Look at Marks' Std HB for Me. ninth edition, On page 8-73 is a short paragraph on Spiral Coiled Springs of rectangular cross section which lists formulas and a figure to define the variables. Look up Wahl who is a considered authority of springs.

Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y

paragraph on Spiral Coiled

define the variables.

See this site:

They are selling spring calculations software that can do calculations (?) of spiral torsion springs.

Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y

What is the rotation angle that the spring should do? Is it a one shot device or will need to be wound many times and if so how many?

This is a quite large spring, an 0.3 KJ spring for 25 degree of rotation that we have weigh few kilograms.

Reply to
Israel Kehaty

Needs to be wound a few times - at least two or three, possibly more - would depend on efficiency and weight.

What are the approximate dimensions of this spring?

Reply to
vik