Cheneys hunting buddy has a heart attack

Right. They really know where Nostradamus lives, for example. And they're always first to report a Mom® toasting a Tot®.

Between National Enquirer and Fox News, the right wing is well-fed with vital and accurate information.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think most of the readers understand what Ed is trying to tell you. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Well, I guess I'm glad to see ya back and ok. But it ruins my neat little conspiracy theory...

Reply to
Richard Lamb

That's a good thing. I find Ed to be a boorish pseudointellectual.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Funny, if you said that about anyone other than a well known public person you would find yourself slapped with a slander lawsuit quicker than you can blink your eyes. Where's your evidence?

Reply to
Tm

I think, therefore I imagine.

Reply to
Gus

Ah, no, he wouldn't. He made clear it was his opinion, a "good possibility." He didn't state that it was a documented fact.

That's not slander. That's clearly an opinion. You can have opinions. You just can't make claims of fact that are false and damaging.

He doesn't need any. He made clear he was expressing an opinion, inductive reasoning from certain facts. That's how most people reason most of the time. It's not a claim that it's certain, it's just his opinion that it's "a good possibility."

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Actually, defamation is a false statement of a material fact that tends to damage reputation of a person. A saying such as "I think that there is a good possibility that ..." never amounts to a "statement of a material fact".

Ignoramus7685

Try a little experiment: buy a piece of pork, cover it with a old T shirt, and shoot at it with a shotgun loaded with birdshot from 30 yards. Get back to us and report on penetration.

Ignoramus7685

You are contridicting the report from the local sheriffs department and all witnesses. Your evidence is what again?

Put your finger in the middle of your chest. Feel threatened? Your finger nail is about 1.5" away from your heart.

The single piece of shot that entered his heart, entered through a shallow vein. Blood moves to and from the heart in veins and vessels. a tiny piece of shot gets carried right along.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I dont consider him to be pseudo.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

This was an old Texas Republican. I think a slab of pecky cypress would be more lifelike.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

A perfect example of why at my son's HS the students must submit internet sources for approval before using them as primary sources in research papers and are *never* allowed to cite wikipedia.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

In my son's classes, they aren't allowed to use encyclopedias as sources at all, including Britannica. And they're only allowed to use Internet sources for one or two references, from a requirement, typically, of five to seven.

It's a real double-edged sword, and Gunner is a good example of what happens on the backswing. You can find fantastic amounts of information but you already have to know something going in to judge the sources. Otherwise you're a victim of noise and intentionally misleading nonsense.

One poster here last week used two sources for a fairly heavy-duty point about comparative politics: Wikipedia's superficial gloss, and a blog essay by a guy identified only as "Bob P" or something like that.

The bloggers are finding plenty of suckers to lead around by the nose.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Fair enough. You have no facts and are just expressing an opinion. And you know what thay say about opinions.

tm

Reply to
Tm

I thought these t-shirts about Cheney hunting were hilarious.

Sean

un1xg33k

The rules are virtually the same at my son's school. I just found it interesting that wikipedia was the only source proscribed specifically by name. But not surprising knowing where the guidelines likely originated. The head of the history department is a blind, middle aged woman who, rumor has it, was once a prosecuting attorney and commands the respect and affection of the entire school. To say that she takes her subject seriously would be a huge understatement.

Of course that assumes you're actually looking for good information and not simply trying to bolster some preconceived notion. The internet has sure made the latter much easier than the former.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

snipped out a rally great reply...

The term I once heard was "webidence".

Reply to
Richard Lamb

WELL! I never.

Keep lashing out, Steve. Maybe it will buy you some time to change your endless insults and snotty dismissiveness of anyone who doesn't agree with you. You can always hope that people will forget, but don't count on the targets of your insults forgetting soon.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress