Cheneys hunting buddy has a heart attack

From the accounts, it sounds like you would have to be driving an ATV in circles at 60 mph to stay behind Cheney. He apparently swung behind himself.

I'm just curious, because there are a lot of hunters here: Has anyone ever heard of swinging *behind* the line of hunters being an accepted practice? Maybe it's different in different parts of the country.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I can't speak to hunting, but it sure is discouraged on the skeet range ;-)

Reply to
duck_dog

IIRC, in Michigan it's an invitation to get a butt stroking. You know, the butt of a weapon up side yo' head sort of thing but it's been a while since I hunted. Things might be different these days.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I don't know about hunting, but at the shooting range I go to, the range officers carry sidearms. The gloat here is that the range just re-opened after over a year of renovation and my daughter and I went today to perforate a few targets. :^)

I always joke with her, that the reason folks there are so well behaved about keeping their barrels pointed downrange is, that the range officer will shoot them if they don't - or if they perform any otherwise unsafe activity.

It was a pleasure to see her bewilderment when the entire story about what Cheney had done, and how that event actually happened. I could see the light bulb come on, she was thinking "he did *this* wrong, then they did *that* wrong, and then they had had a few beers with lunch...."

They were actually bumping into each other and shooting each other. It was the classic Charlie Foxtrot. And she realized it instantly.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I think that in the grand scheme of things, this is a small event. Cheney admitted that it was all his fault. Maybe it's time to move on.

Reply to
Gus

"jim rozen" wrote

It is truly amazing that a logical thinking mind, even at that age, can see the folly of this whole episode.

Children are indoctrinated that adults are in charge, and that children are stupid, inexperienced and unknowing. And yet, they see what they see and instinctively know otherwise.

So starts the drama ..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think that in the grand scheme of things, this is a small event. Cheney admitted that it was all his fault. Maybe it's time to move on.

Reply to
Gus

On 20 Feb 2006 22:01:18 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Gus" quickly quoth:

--snip--

That Cheney pulled that idiocy after telling us how often he hunts, etc. speaks volumes. Is this how sanely, maturely, safely, and efficiently he spends his time in D.C., too? (I'd love to add another suggestive statement to that but the SS would be at my door in a wink if I did.)

Yes, let's replace Shrub's handler and move on. Man, these folks make me ashamed ever to have called myself a Republican for any of those

30+ years.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Steve B

Ha Ha Ha. Don't worry Larry. Ha Ha Ha Everyone knows we're just having good clean fun here Larry, nothing to fear. Ha Ha Ha

But just in case, maybe have the wife (if you happen to have one) go visit some relatives for a while. If they think you're suspicious enough; well you know what they like to do then. The bastards.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

And just forget about it just like we're supposed to do about all the Halliburton crap??? And the billions up-in-smoke??? And everything else???

In fact I'll bet he can't understand all the furor considering he probably feels it was so easy before.

And you agree???

He doesn't realize he's not going to pull the wool over the eyes of experienced field hunters the way he manages to do to others in other situations. And they're not going to forget. Let him cook.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Apparently that's what this guy did, the trouble is that he didn't let the shooter know that he was there.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ok, but then the question is, what is somebody who is BEHIND the shooter doing getting shot?

That's my question. Where in this country is it considered Ok to shoot behind the line of hunters? Maybe south Texas, eh?

I don't know. I've never heard of it before, but maybe they have a little more fateful approach to hunting down there.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, other than various garbled reports. Was there in fact a line of hunters or just the two guys out in the woods?

It's easy to criticize when you don't have all the facts.

I agree that it shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that people screw up and making some huge political witch hunt out of it seems to be pointless.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If he can violate wiretapping laws, what's a little rule like not swinging behind the line of hunters mean to him?

John

Reply to
John

Does thrree people make a "line"? That's the number they reported.

You expected "who" would supply all these facts?

Right you are Ed. By the way, is this person we've been discussing, one of those folks who sneaked into the Republican tent you mentioned?

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

That depends on how they are oriented and what, exactly they are doing.

I never expect anybody on USENET to supply any facts. But every once in a while someone surprises me.

Uh, what is Ed right about?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ah, you quoted John there, Dennis, and then appended my name to it. Those aren't my words.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

From what I've been able to make out, there was a line of three; the one on the left dropped back; he was coming back up when he got shot. One account said he was still behind. The others don't say.

So, we don't know for sure where he was, and, as I've said, we'll probably never know. But I was asking the question in case we *do* find out. I'd like to know if it's acceptable practice, anywhere, to swing behind the line when there are other people behind you.

Keep in mind that among the other people behind were the land owner, the dog handler, at least two SS men, and the lawyer.

I'm not making a witch hunt out of it. I want to know if they swing around behind the line of hunters in southern quail hunting. I'm curious as an old hunting-safety instructor.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I just looked at the post again Ed and sure enough, John posted and left your name under his post. Then further down the page he added his. Very sloppy posting on his part but mia culpa. ;(

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger