Cushy plier handles

My 'Mr. Coffee' finally konked out for the last time. (Repair parts weren't in my stockpile and would cost a significant fraction of a new coffee maker, considering shipping and taxes.)

On disassembly, I discovered two brown silicone tubes that pipe the water to and from the heating element. I removed the checkvalve from one and slid them both over the handles of my electronics needlenose pliers, using alcohol as a lubricant.

Trimmed to size, they give me a very comfortable grip, just like the expensive quality pliers.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston,

Now that you have seen the inside of a Mr. Coffee, might I suggest that you get yourself a Bunn coffee maker. When you take one of those apart, you find a stainless steel tank and industrial quality components.

The machine is built to last however so the only time you take it apart is for a very deep cleaning, and while you probably will never need them, parts are available.

Also you get a full pot of coffee in three minutes.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

They're probably very nice machines, but...

Patience is a virtue. 8-9 minutes isn't a bad wait.

Yabbut, can you buy a new one for $8 every 5 years, when it gets too dirty to clean up nicely, or you break the carafe? (Entire Proctor Silex unit $8 at BigLots, carafes for them are $16.)

LJ--who had to give up coffee 4 months ago due to allergic reactions to it, damnit.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Except for their timer board. I knew a company who got most of their business replacing timers in them, in restaurants.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We've been using the household type Bunn cofeemakers at home and at our small office for over 15 years and I do appreciate being able to make a full pot of coffee in 3 minutes.

One thing though, I try and not think too often about how many KWH per year I'm wasting by their keeping the water at brewing temperature all day and night. I did try using little "plug in" timers to turn them off overnight but those damn timers only lasted a few months before they either konked out or started making annoying whirring noises.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

You are absolutely right, Roger.

There used to be a commercial brewer distributor downtown that sold used Bunn-o-matics for very reasonable money. I shall have to investigate that. Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Jeeze Larry! That is AWFUL! Seriously.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

TELL me about it. I finally figured it out. Every time I had a cup, a few minutes later, one or more of my muscles got spasms, like someone was sticking me with a hat pin. Shoulder, thigh, quad, random muscle aches, plus every-muscle-aches in the morning.

My only sin now is cussing, and I'll be damned if I'll give it up! Gave up drinkin', druggin', smokin', womanizing, sugar (most days) and you folks wonder why I'm a curmudgeon?

If anything, coffee is the thing I miss the most.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dayum. That is no fun at all.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Really . Don't know if I could handle not having my morning coffee . And my midmorning coffee , and my lunchtime coffee ...

Reply to
Snag

I'm so acclimated that I have a pre-nap coffee.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Nope, and I won't. I dislike caffeine and sugar. (But I love sugar-free sweets.) I make smoothies with frozen peaches, a few drops of vanilla extract, a packet of saccharine, some coconut milk, some other fruit, and some milk. Sugar free but sweet and tasty, not to mention nutricious. I add dolomite powder for calcium and gritty texture (ick, but nutricious.)

I used to drink half-caf. I was hapy with decaf first thing in the morning, too. I didn't need caf to wake up at 90% and be 100% awake after the first sip of water, either.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Agreed.

I'm compensating by stopping by the Thai food restaurant every couple weeks and getting chicken green curry. If I eat it at noon, I don't ache in the morning. I make them leave out the bell peppers and any sugar. YUM!

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, I used to drink a pot a day, and right up until bedtime.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, I have room temp clean, clear wellwater (my mainstay), tea, and herbal teas. Why buy some chemical crap for ghastly prices?

Thanks, but no thanks.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have to stop by around 4 PM or I stay up too late .

Reply to
Snag

A few years ago, I avoided coffee much beyond noon; otherwise I'd be wide awake till ~2:00 AM or so.

Not any more. :)

SWMBO loves coffee as well but she still needs to avoid it in the afternoon. AMHIKT

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'm not sure I want to know ...

Reply to
Snag

(...)

0130: "Sweetie! I thought about a neat idea for the patio." ME: "Mmff. Huh?" 0145: "So, are you awake?" ME: "...What? Kinda." 0200: "I really can't have any coffee in the afternoon." ME: "I'm hip." 0245: "My car needs an oil change. Maybe this weekend?" ME: "SNORT Huh? Oh. Yeah. Sure....."

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'd love to see the cites on that one. ;)

What, the chemically treated things they call tea in cans? No, I don't believe I have. But the crap they put in cans far outweighs those they put in standard teabags, especially the organic herbals.