Cushy plier handles

My 'Mr. Coffee' finally konked out for the last time. (Repair parts weren't in my stockpile and would cost a significant fraction of a new
coffee maker, considering shipping and taxes.)
On disassembly, I discovered two brown silicone tubes that pipe the water to and from the heating element. I removed the checkvalve from one and slid them both over the handles of my electronics needlenose pliers, using alcohol as a lubricant.
Trimmed to size, they give me a very comfortable grip, just like the expensive quality pliers.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Winston,
Now that you have seen the inside of a Mr. Coffee, might I suggest that you get yourself a Bunn coffee maker. When you take one of those apart, you find a stainless steel tank and industrial quality components.
The machine is built to last however so the only time you take it apart is for a very deep cleaning, and while you probably will never need them, parts are available.
Also you get a full pot of coffee in three minutes.
Roger Shoaf
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 07:36:39 -0800 (PST), RS at work

They're probably very nice machines, but...

Patience is a virtue. 8-9 minutes isn't a bad wait.
Yabbut, can you buy a new one for $8 every 5 years, when it gets too dirty to clean up nicely, or you break the carafe? (Entire Proctor Silex unit $8 at BigLots, carafes for them are $16.)
LJ--who had to give up coffee 4 months ago due to allergic reactions to it, damnit.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London
Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

Jeeze Larry! That is AWFUL! Seriously.
--Winston

TELL me about it. I finally figured it out. Every time I had a cup, a few minutes later, one or more of my muscles got spasms, like someone was sticking me with a hat pin. Shoulder, thigh, quad, random muscle aches, plus every-muscle-aches in the morning.
My only sin now is cussing, and I'll be damned if I'll give it up! Gave up drinkin', druggin', smokin', womanizing, sugar (most days) and you folks wonder why I'm a curmudgeon? </snivel>
If anything, coffee is the thing I miss the most.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London
Larry Jaques wrote:

Dayum. That is no fun at all.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Really . Don't know if I could handle not having my morning coffee . And my midmorning coffee , and my lunchtime coffee ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

I'm so acclimated that I have a pre-nap coffee.
--Winston

Yeah, I used to drink a pot a day, and right up until bedtime.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London
Winston wrote:

I have to stop by around 4 PM or I stay up too late .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

A few years ago, I avoided coffee much beyond noon; otherwise I'd be wide awake till ~2:00 AM or so.
Not any more. :)
SWMBO loves coffee as well but she still needs to avoid it in the afternoon. AMHIKT
--Winston
Winston wrote:

I'm not sure I want to know ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:
(...)

0130: "Sweetie! I thought about a neat idea for the patio." ME: "Mmff. Huh?"
0145: "So, are you awake?" ME: "...What? Kinda."
0200: "I really can't have any coffee in the afternoon." ME: "I'm hip."
0245: "My car needs an oil change. Maybe this weekend?" ME: "SNORT Huh? Oh. Yeah. Sure....."
:)
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Now I don't care who ya are , that's funny !! I'm blessed with a wife that needs more sleep than I do , she's usually out by 8:30 , I'm usually up til 10:30 or so . 5:30 AM comes at the same time for both of us though ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:
(...)

Yup! Just about the same here.
--Winston

Agreed. <whimper>
I'm compensating by stopping by the Thai food restaurant every couple weeks and getting chicken green curry. If I eat it at noon, I don't ache in the morning. I make them leave out the bell peppers and any sugar. YUM!
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Nope, and I won't. I dislike caffeine and sugar. (But I love sugar-free sweets.) I make smoothies with frozen peaches, a few drops of vanilla extract, a packet of saccharine, some coconut milk, some other fruit, and some milk. Sugar free but sweet and tasty, not to mention nutricious. I add dolomite powder for calcium and gritty texture (ick, but nutricious.)

I used to drink half-caf. I was hapy with decaf first thing in the morning, too. I didn't need caf to wake up at 90% and be 100% awake after the first sip of water, either.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Hey, I have room temp clean, clear wellwater (my mainstay), tea, and herbal teas. Why buy some chemical crap for ghastly prices?
Thanks, but no thanks.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

I'd love to see the cites on that one. ;)

What, the chemically treated things they call tea in cans? No, I don't believe I have. But the crap they put in cans far outweighs those they put in standard teabags, especially the organic herbals.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

    Ah, but that's all "organic" and "natural", donchaknow?
    It is why I buy my soda pop in Canada - up north it is made with Real Sugar, which is natural and organic, not like that "high fructose corn syrup" stuff they get from a refinery.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich