Cushy plier handles

Don't be a dick.

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Dec 8, 7:07=A0pm, Ignoramus13521

How does Larry know who sold his email address, that is what I wonder.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The pour over models do not have a timer board. The water you pour in the top displaces the already hot water in the tank. The only control os a couple of thermostats and a couple of switches, and the commercial model also has a temp adjustment pot.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

They have a combination insulation/heating blanket for the keep warm to make up for the static heat loss, so I doubt it is drawing very many watts during stand by time.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

I doubt you need a commercial model. The home model just has a smaller tank and plastic exterior but the guts are industrial quality. You can't make sucessive pots as fast with the home unit, but that is usually not an issue for home or office use.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

RS at work fired this volley in news:99574901- snipped-for-privacy@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Unless most of the ones I've seen have been grossly mis-adjusted, they consume quite a bit of energy by boiling off the water in the holding tank.

Our Bunn pour-over will boil off nearly a third of volume of the holding tank in twelve hours of no use. Others I've seen appear to suffer the same problem. I'm not sure what happens when they go dead-dry. We refill them often enough that it's never occurred. Hopefully, the thermostat is on the same surface as the heating element, so it can sense when it's too hot.

Now... I understand it doesn't keep the water at a "rolling boil", but every time that element comes on, the water boils a little.

At 540C/g, that works out to some serious energy over the period of a year.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Why would a restaurant use a 'pour over model'?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:toGdnTcW--grP5zQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

They are less expensive and more reliable than the automatic feed versions, although those are pretty good if you have adequate filtration in the water line.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You're quite welcome, though I did neglect to mention two other methods which are as good as a Bunn but much less expensive: French Press and Vac Pot.

The former produces an oilier, more bodiful cup while the latter produces a "cleaner" flavor.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

The company serviced Orlando, and all on city water. Most had more than one machine, so it wasn't too much of a problem if one quit. It was easier to teach someone to put the coffee & filter in start the machine and not worry about them spilling the water.

They replaced about 100 timers a month, and told me that they had thousands of the units installed. They had close to 10,000 pieces of restaurant equipment in their warehouse. They bought, sold, serviced and leased equipment. I first ran into them when someone that knew them wanted to know if some of the chillers in the juice machines could be adapted to cool an injection molding machine could be adapted to replace city water used for cooling. They had about 100 that had good chillers, but were missing so many other parts that they weren't worth rebuilding. A lot of the stuff came from other companies that had failed, and was bought for parts.

They asked for a quote to repair the modules, then told me they only paid 25% of the price on the OEM's wholesale price sheet after I submitted the bid. It would have been in lots of 500 at a time, so the labor was quoted at $2 a unit. I estimated I could do 500 in about two days.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know about Larry, but whenever I sign up for something, I create an e-mail address for that specific site. For instance, if I were to sign up for freecycle, it would something like freecycle101210@. I would use that e-mail address nowhere else, so if I got spam there, it's obvious where the "leak" is.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Anyone with access to that group.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(...)

Yes! No matter what kind of beans I use in my French Press, I get a superior tasting cuppa out of it, as compared to the same beans in an automatic coffee maker. I'm on my fourth 'Press, having worn out two small ones and a bigger one.

That is another new one on me. I shall investigate.

Thanks again!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

There are these too:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ahhh! It's been six years since I was signed up with them. I tried to get rid of an electric stove, and got several replies saying they wanted it, but nobody ever actually showed up. The stove went to the dump, and I deactivated the e-mail address, never giving freecycle another thought.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

(...)

Yup, though I can't recall drinking only *one* cup of coffee at a sitting, anytime in recent memory. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

The vacuum coffee maker appeals to my sense of applied physics but it would require me to be 'in the loop' to shut off the heat in time. I'm too lazy for that!

This 'Balance Syphon' takes me out of the loop and is very Steampunk. I love it! But I've never lived with one...

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

That is unfortunate; it *can* save time and money.

I pulled > 500 bricks out of a poorly constructed patio and stacked them in a couple piles. I thought of renting a pickup so I could haul them to the dump, or filtering them into the trash for a year. Then I remembered Freecycle. One posting gleaned six enthusiastic responses instantly.

The winner arrived with his pickup and had both loads out of my yard in a couple hours.

Cost to me: $0.00. A clean back yard: priceless.

His truck was not nearly as happy about it as we were.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My daughter gave us one of these about 10 years ago. I replaced the screen once after a couple years (Bodum screens fit, are more durable, and are easier to get), and had to fuss with the threads that hold the screen to the rod recently. No reason to think it wont last another 10 years.

Ned Simmons

(...)

Say, that looks nice!

They sell replacement parts, then?

Well, heck.

Turns out I could have repaired my presses with replacement spiral plates for only $7.95!

Better late than never. :)

Thanks for the info.

--Winston

Reply to