EBAY Fraud

I won an auction on Ebay and paid with paypal. The seller shipped the wrong item. We made several attempts to contact seller, he finally responded and said ship it back to him. I said please send a call tag for the item. I lodged a complaint with Paypal. I finally heard back from paypal, they say the seller provided proof that he shipped the item. I am bald already and I am ready to pull my hair out. What can I do now with paypal or ebay. My wife says we cannot file a new complaint about this item.

Scott in Texas

Reply to
jano

Lick your wounds and move on. The one good thing about the school of hard knocks - you seldom forget the lesson.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I don't see why not. He filed a report that he shipped the correct item. You say you got nothing. There is some kind of "counterclaim" report you can file to say you did not receive the replacement item. If it is serious money, you definitely should keep on it. PayPal really does lean on sellers to make it right or explain why the buyer cannot be satisfied. If PayPal has proof the item saw shipped, can you get the tracking number from them?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:40:14 -0700 (PDT), the infamous snipped-for-privacy@cctc.net scrawled the following:

Do you have proof that you shipped it back, and emails between the two of you to provide to PayPal? They should act in your favor if so. Call them and get it straightened out, jano.

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can leave the seller BAD feedback.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

The item or a item? The seller provided proof of a shipment, nothing more.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

If your PayPal payment was credit card, call the CC co. and void the payment. If you paid with Instant Check- you're screwed. I always use CC for this reason. JR Dweller in the cellar

snipped-for-privacy@cctc.net wrote:

Reply to
JR North

If I use paypal I always use a credit card to make the payment, if things go wrong I dont have to bother with Paypal dispute process, I can just lodge a chargeback on my credit card.

For the above reason I never accept Paypal when selling something either!!

Reply to
no_one

If you still have the item, file a complaint with paypal saying the item is significantly not as described. I think it is called a SNAD.

Have no more communication with the seller, only paypal.

If this fails, charge back the credit card you use to fund your paypal account.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Thank you all for the advise, I will use a credit card next time. I ordered a headset and got a microphone for a video game. Paypal will not help and I believe this is the scam of the day. Sell something and ship anything, IF paypal investigates the seller shows a shipment to an address and it is his word against mine. I am telling this to the group to help anyone else that might get scammed. Why would anyone investigate something around 20 bucks. The seller is

I won the auction Sept. 3rd. If Ebay cannot or will stop scams, then this company will not have a profitable future. There are good people on Ebay. I am second guessing everyone now. Here is my feedback
\ Thank you for listening,

Scott in Texas

Reply to
jano

I bought some used hard drives about two years ago. They were all kaput, although the seller "guaranteed" them not DOA. I returned the bad units, and had to call several times to verify he had received the returns. (He wouldn't respond to any messages through eBay.) He never sent any replacements after promising to do so. I filed a dispute through PayPal, and was eventually refunded full price. I did lose the return shipping postage.

That's my most recent dispute. I have no idea whether PayPal has changed their methods since then. You HAVE to be wary of these mega-merchants that have 10,000 items sold per month. They CAN'T be trusted to be 100% accurate with that kind of volume of one of a kind stuff. I ALWAYS check the detailed feedback and search for the most recent few negative feedbacks. Those could just be "whiners", or recipients of totally wrong items, worthless scrap, items packaged so poorly they were bound to be ruined, or other shoddy practices. You can usually get a strong feeling one way or the other by reading a couple negative reports. You may have to scroll through 20 pages of AOK+++++ feedback to get to the negatives, but that's where the gold lies.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Visit

-- you can see only the negs, without having to wade through everyghing else.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I would also not buy anything from someone with a rating of less than

98.5. There are lots of people with high ratings. No point is buying from someone that does not care about his/her rating.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

There are some schlock shops that ship 10,000 + items a month that have 99.8+% feedback, but 250+ negatives per month. The percentage looks good, but they must be doing something quite wrong to have 250+ people a month very unhappy. I go beyond the percentage and look for a couple of the most recent negatives. If they sound like whiners or have zero feedback (= zero experience) I may discount that, but then you'll find somebody that says they got total crap for an item listed as "perfect condition" and cost them $400 or something. That is a big red flag. Unless it is a one of a kind item that I really need, I keep looking.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson