HF Predator Engines

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:08:48 -0700, Jon Danniken

Consider ALL Chinese tools to be "kits" requiring re-assembly (and modification) and you won't go too far wrong.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:41:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Consider ALL new tools to be "kits" requiring re-assembly and modification and you won't go too far wrong. I disassemble almost every tool I buy, debur the pieces, lube them properly, wax them if necessary, and reassemble to the proper tension. They're feel like they cost 3x the price after that and they'll last at least twice as long while giving me a lot more pleasure. Plus, I have a much better knowledge of how the tool works, so field repairs are easier as a result. That has saved a job for me more than once.
Learn what to look for in tools before buying them and you'll avoid a lot of headaches, too. Figure out what makes a tool a good value and you'll avoid lots of bad purchases.
Also, I've bought several HF tools as cheap, temporary -backup- items but ended up using them for decades instead. The 5" mechanic's vise is still kickin' nearly 4 decades later, despite years and years of severe hammering on it and metal bending (-before- I learned anything from youse guys, OK?)
And, best of all, when you discover that you have bought a shitass tool, be sure to IMMEDIATELY RETURN IT. If you can do it the same day, it makes it that much harder for the idiot behind the counter to turn down the return. Be sure to tell them later how much better the replacement tool turned out. They like (and need) those stories.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Many of my power tools are even cheaper tha HF tools - I bought most of them with minor damage at garage sales - dirt cheap - and bought the required parts to repair. Milwaukee Sawz-all - $16 in parts - got it for nothing. Milwaukee skill saw - the BIG one, paid $15 and $6 for the required part. Ryobi Belt sander, $15. Router, $20. Only my cordless drill and my big Makita 1/2 inch variale speed reversible drill were bought new - all high quality stuff that will last as long as I need them - and parts are available if something breaks.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:39:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Lets see....two Millwaukee Sawzalls, both running, $10 and $8. Delta sawzall, $2, and a $5 part, Milwaukee 4x24 belt sander...$10. Porter Cable Belt Sander/Bosch plunge router/Greenlee 1/2 conduit -4" conduit punch set, $35 for the 3 items
Ryobi 18vt cordless drill, and the matching cordless driver, $15 along with 4 batteries and 2 chargers, with the tags still in the box, $30
450lb Hay Budden anvil, free to haul off...hell..I could be here for 5 hours typing in this stuff
Gunner

Yup - things are cheaper in the USA - even used.
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:47:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've been having lotsa fun here in the great white north!
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:47:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You mean you dont have yard sales in Canukistan? Or they are all overpriced?

I'm trying to figure out how much more the free stuff in Canuckistan costs. <g>
-- Sir Winston Churchill

We have them - but the prices are often a bit higher than in the USA, - cost more new, pecieved value higher - particularly in areas where there a quite a few handy-men and hobbyists around. Could likely do better in a big city where there is a lower percentage of DIY guys who want the older tools.
On Wed, 01 May 2013 00:15:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Are you saying that there are few tool users in Canada? Thats a shame.

Actually more willing to use old tools than those willing to part with them cheap. In the big cities, more likely to get rid of, and fewer ready to buy used.
Gunner Asch wrote:

My friend in Bakersfield is looking for some tools I told him to give you another call to set up a meeting. He mentioned sandblasting glass to frost images & lettering, and building a 'makerbot' type CNC router for woodworking. I downloaded the current LinuxCNC for him, and am sending it along with some other files he needs.
On Thu, 02 May 2013 15:20:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Ive got both glass beads and ground glass in unopened 5 gallon buckets
I have some "Fine" Black Max sand ..but not a lot. Im sure we can find something to work.
Have him come over...... and bring a truck
Gunner
"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake." Malcolm Wallop former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:39:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

couple or less years ago I was in the BORG to get a 2x4x8 and just for the halibut U checked the price on DeWalt 185001 Monroe St Toledo , OH 36606 batteries. $95.xx each, or $99.xx for 2; I checked the price at the checkout and ended up with two new batteries for each drill. Sat AM i picked up a DeWalt 18V charger w/ battery for $3.00 and after a quick charge, Junior has benn using the battery for 2 days.
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
On 4/28/2013 8:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

I have had Horrible Frights too.
There was the 2-lb fist maul with the balsa wood handle & the c-clamps that the swivel pads fell off 1st use then they snapped in half with only moderate force applied.
Read the reviews on there website before buying!
MikeB
--
Email is valid

BQ340 wrote:

30 rear? That must be one big assed wrench. ;-)
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:02:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I've had better luck with the cheapie socket/ratchet set from HFT than I did with _many_ of the sockets & ratchets from Searz Crapsman Tools in the late '70s and early '80s. I donated my gallon of blood and pound of flesh to the Tool Gods back then.
IMHO, HFT => Crapsman.
--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.

None of my HF sockets and wrenches ever broke, and we use them daily for pretty tough jobs (meaning rusted bolts etc)
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:32:00 -0500, Ignoramus11949

Hence my "equal to or better than" statement.
--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:24:45 -0700, the renowned Larry Jaques

Perhaps I'm easily confused, but I think it should be '>=' , the other way just looks like an arrow to me.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany