Hobart Gasoline Welder

The WELDING generator, you DO need that. JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

The WELDING generator, you DO need that. JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Duh. I should have counted the spark plugs. I'll just go stand in the corner for a while.

Doh tee Doh!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ayup...got the hack electrician to wire it up for me in the dark with a mini-Mag between his teeth, in Harbor Freights parking lot. Shrug.

Id been working since 6am, then drove 3 hours up from LA, had to run around trying to find good used tires and having them changed out, trying to find a ball in my gear that would hold the hitch, etc etc.

But I got it home safely. No tickets, no washee. Thats all that counts.

Now I got to figure out where to stick it. The back 40 is still flooded..where the mud isnt 4" deep. And will be going out in a few and straightening the jack stand so it will be self supporting.

No, I missed that one. Ive not watched TV in over a month...and frankly..havent missed it.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Well to be fair...they are grouped wierd..and 3/4 are hidden behind the carby. So dont be rough on yourself

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thats sorta what I was thinking.

Ive got a good Ranger 9, that Miller 55G thats slowly being rebuild by a buddy who owes me favors, and now the Hobart. At worst..I can haul it in the Oildorado parade later this year, at best..Ill have a nice loaner/heavy welder that hauls marvelously behind the Ranger.

Shrug. Or I can fix it up and give it a paint job and then peddle it. This afterall..is the oil patch..and a trailer mounted 300 amp welder should sell for more than I gave for it...ie..to date...$60 (tires)

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Wish I was closer, I'd double your money quick...

Reply to
Steve W.

I believe you'll make a couple of bucks off that. My BIL came over after I got my SA200 running, and had a friend. I found out from talking to him that he is a welding instructor at the local college. I showed him the SA200. He made me promise that if I ever wanted to sell it, I called him first. His eyes just about popped out of his head.

I think you'll make decent money on that welder.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:56:04 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Oh, what fun! BTDT.

Indubitably.

I noticed that. Was it like that when you picked it up, or only after you pulled it with the low-slung hitch?

April will mark my 3rd year without TV. I don't miss it at all. I get movies from Netflix for 1/4 the price of DISH, and they don';t have any commercials, either. Watching a half hour news program on the one station I get here is excruciating. I'm constantly attacking the remote to mute the damned commercials. It's official: half hour news programs consist of 13 minutes of content and 17 minutes of commercials. TV: 500 channels of horrible programming + commercials.

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Did you look at the photos? There are TWO generators. One is for the electrical system.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:52:42 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

If you write "tongue", I'll know what you're talking about.

Oy vay.

There ya go.

10ga ought to be thick enough for taillights, yeah. You should have picked up a set of magnetic trailer lights from HF last month for ten bucks during their sale. You bring home enough strays to warrant a set, huh?

So, you're saying that, with labor included, you have less than a grand in this thing, right?

No, I wouldn't think so. I've made half a year's income in the past several months, so I know I'll be able to pay my income tax this year without a hitch.

---------------------------------------------------------- California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

* NoteSHADE(tm) Laptop Glare Guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't need to look, I know what the machines look like. You replied to my post about generator parts, welding generator parts availability with a comment about the engine charging system. Pretty simple really, I'm talking about the generator. On a welding machine. A really critical part.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

In your part of the world there's a chance that the engine is one in common use on irrigation pumps or other agricultural applications. So in the event you part it out that's another possible group that might be interested.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I didn't see his 5-March post on RCM.

My late FIL and very good friend had a gas-engine trailer-mounted Hobart, said it was the sweetest welder he'd ever used. He burned a lot of 7018 with that machine.

I coulda had it for the asking when he died but I've no place to keep it or use it and someone who did was very glad to have it. There was some *very* heavy stuff in the basement, so the deal was they got that Hobart for a very good price providing they also take a welding table that easily weighed 500 lb. No prob, they showed up with some big friends and it was all gone before sundown. Good deal for everyone.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Right. Sure. OK.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I took a look at the pictures and I brought back memories. These machines were made probably a bit before the WW ll and during the war and were the back bone of the ship building industry. This unit is no doubt a 300 amp DC welder. These were made by Hobart, Lincoln, GE, Glenn Roberts, and such. The flat head 6 cylinder Chrysler industrial was very common as were 6 cylinder Chevrolet's. As the war progressed 4 cylinder Jeeps were also used. These same welders were also built as motor/ generator welders and usually ran on

3 phase 220 or 440 volts. They were great welders. The DC is taken off of the armature via brushes and that was the only thing that would wear out or maybe a bearing now and then. Those were dam good welders from an era when things were made hell for stout. They welded together may Liberty ships and others. Many were used by the Seabees during the big war. They don't make them like they used to. Erwin P.S. I hope that someone else did not post the same info. I did not run through the long thread. Just the beginning and the end.
Reply to
Erwin F.Sawall Jr.