I do not recommend this product - IR 5HP TS4N5 Compressor

You guys are right. I should have gone fishing.

----------------------

I spent much of yesterday fighting a frozen 50-year-old toilet shutoff valve. After I managed to disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble it, and replace the tank fill valve, I took a break long enough to forget everything and then went back to test it, and could see the remaining problems with fresh eyes.

As a theatre set carpenter I was taught to periodically go out to the seats to view scenery I'd built as though I was seeing it for the first time, to catch anything out-of-place that I'd become accustomed to (before the director mentioned it).

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Besides, it might rain tomorrow!

Reply to
Gerry

I spent the better [art of the day working on the SUV ... several years ago it blew a spark plug out of the head . When I repaired it I didn't use loctite on the insert , and apparently didn't flare the "lock" at the top enough . It came out on the way to town . Lucky me all I had to do was clean up the threads and install a new insert . With loctite and made sure I flared the top enough with the supplied tool . Also had to replace a coil pack , total repair cost was about 60 bucks .

Reply to
Snag
<snip>

I would have done the same thing, get work done and keep dreaming about goofing off. 'Tis my nature even though I would be better off taking a break ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk
<snip>

I would have done the same thing, get work done and keep dreaming about goofing off. 'Tis my nature even though I would be better off taking a break ;-)

Leon Fisk

--------------------

I used to, until I realized that it was costing me a second day's work correcting the rushed and distracted mistakes of the first. I don't think "Press On, Regardless" applies to careful craftsmanship.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
<snip>

It's a lose-lose case for me. Won't be any joy in goofing off knowing there is work I really should be doing :(

Reply to
Leon Fisk
<snip>

It's a lose-lose case for me. Won't be any joy in goofing off knowing there is work I really should be doing :(

Leon Fisk Grand Rapids MI

-----------------------------

I don't just goof off, I concentrate on some easier task until the frustration has worn off (and the Kroil soaked in). I finished several other spring projects between sessions of struggling with the catalytic converter bolts and the toilet shutoff valve.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

One of the issues I have is that as a contractor I really knew my stuff. I solved problems and fixed them simultaneously. Working late to finish a job so the school/office/business could open the next day undisturbed was something I often did (if they were paying for it). As a "machinist" I kinda know my stuff, but not with the instinctiveness (real word???) of having done it for nearly 30 years. I have to force myself to back off sometimes.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

As to going fishing... technically it is business. Since I primarily make molds for the fishing tackle industry I could keep a log and claim most of my fishing related gear, fuel, and maybe even a percentage of vehicles and boats as product research and promotion. When I fished tournaments of course I claimed my occasional winnings as income. The IRS would like to see detailed records breaking down how it is business related. I do test my own designs, and occasionally customer designs. I do use what I learn to improve my own designs and to provide feedback for customers, but I don't go fishing to work. Once in a while I'll snag somebody to help shoot promotional video, but I mostly go fishing because I like to go fishing. I do not treat my time on the water like a job. I don't keep a log or books for time spent fishing and I don't claim any expenses from it. I could pay less taxes lawfully if I did, but I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just for the heck of it I dropped a message off to Ingersol Rand back when this misadventure started. Today I am editorializing their response I received today.

A motor failure at 13 months and your response is, "Hey, we can sell you another shitty motor, cash in on your stupidity for buying from us, and screw you again."

Hard pass. If you have something other than capitalizing and profiteering on my poor choice of a compressor to offer feel free to let me know what that is. Otherwise don't waste our time.

I don't think will buy another Ingersol Rand Tool compressor based on the opinions I formed based on my actual experience with this one. I probably won't buy another IR anything, but another modestly big ticket item. Sorry, I can't afford to play roulette against the house.

Reply to
Bob La Londe