Link FYI - USGS topo maps in pdf

I haven't tried to snag one yet. That's for another day at a hot spot but it appears the USGS quad series of topo maps is available free as a series of pdf files.

Winston_Smith

This link gets you to the large interactive map:

When you start seeing red boxes, each is a downloadable PDF of that area.

Wonder how these maps compare in detail with the Google Earth views? Of course, Google Earth is harder to use when on the trail and you want to know the layout. On the other hand, these maps only cover the "contiguous U.S.," so for me in Alaska it won't work. Supposed to be that you can get a satellite map, if you pay for it and wait for someone to print it for you.

Reply to
bookburn

Everything I've seen is pictures from space. No topology other than what your trained eye might infer. It's really nice to know when those little lines start to bunch up and you forgot your climbing gear.

In both the case of google and USGS pdf, you might print your area before you leave home.

Google Earth can be captured to your local hard drive. You can even "fly" your route without having a connection.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Google Earth views can be tilted, zoomed, and swiveled at will to reveal excellent photographic topology. Some areas even have interpolated sideview renderings of trees, buildings, etc. Center click and drag mouse on a PC. Two finger swipe and twist on a cell phone. Large areas can be cached for offline use. On a PC, draw lines and symbols for routes or reference or whatever. Save the view as kmz. Use

to view whatever you drew, on phone. Very slick. Sample.

It's also easy to have both Earth and offline topos on a cell phone. Many choices for topos. Here's one.

The Times They Are a-Changin'

And every one of them reveals that 326 Olive Avenue in Taft, CA is at about 1020' elevation, which is not "high desert".

Reply to
Fred Wingo

He must think calling it high desert improves it some way. As if. A thousand trips to the dump and a 40 gallons of paint would be a lot more effective.

Reply to
Hurricane

Wieber is always about extremes. I'm sure he imagined "high desert" conjured images of the Bolivian Altiplano or something. He could as easily have claimed to be the low desert - something like Death Valley, below sea level.

Wieber will always lie.

Reply to
Fred Wingo

Tellya what Jonthy! Why don'tcha tell us all exactly how high in altitude it has to be to achieve "High Desert standards". There are deserts below sea level...and in America. Tell us exactly what the Salton Sea area is considered as! And then map out what is high desert and low desert in California. I cannot believe those other idiots are following your lead.

Reply to
tRudy Crayola

Why didn't you look it up and save yourself the embarrassment of being proven dead wrong, idiot?

"High Desert is a name used to define geographic areas of Southern California deserts that are between 2,000 and 4,000 ft"

Weiber's shithole is undeniably a smidge over 1000' in elevation, as anyone of normal intelligence can verify in a couple of minutes.

So what?

Facts: Wieber has claimed multiple elevations for his dump.

"My place is at 1953' " 2011

"Actually Im at 1405 feet" 2012

All were lies, all were higher that his actual elevation. It was a retarded attempt to somehow improve readers' impressions of his rotting mobile which sits on a rented lot covered in junk and dog cages.

Who is crazy enough to make up lies about elevation? How stupid does anyone have to be to defend and spin Wieber's lies?

Reply to
Hurricane

Hurricane? Isn't that something that sucks..or is it Blows? ;-p

You just made that up! The Desert abutting the Colorado River is considered high desert.

But you will attest that it is above Sea level?

Do they have to be between 2000 and 4000 feet low to be called low deserts?

My, My...Does that upset your juvenile ittle mind?

Is that important? and why?

I doubt that is what he was doing. But if it spins your anal retentive asshole...Why not?

Why don't you go help some little old lady across the street or something. Grow up!

Reply to
tRudy Crayola

Nope. But you made up that claim, same as most.

You should have paid more attention in geography class. But your failure to learn then is no excuse for your failing to look up the variation in the river's elevation now.

There is nothing for me to attest. It is a fact that Wieber's shithole is about 1000', which is NOT high desert, moron.

Huh?

LOL Admit he lied for no useful reason, you feeble bitch.

They are facts you're denying in your usual, helpless way.

Why do you doubt facts? Obviously he didn't accidentally make up two different and very particular numbers. There's no doubt about it - Wieber pulls numbers out of is ass when it suits his deranged mind. A couple days ago he made up two different contradicting numbers, in the SAME post, for an imaginary land purchase.

Disputing facts is a stupid thing to do. It can it can and does lead to a crummy life, which I expect you're living, same as Wieber.

Why don't you learn to accept reality, and thereby improve yourself? What is the point of staying stupid?

Reply to
Hurricane

My method of making the world a better place is to kick pieces of shit like you back into a corner where you cannot disturb the progress of the Human race forward. It doesn't matter what Wieber or anyone else garnishes their statements with. An Idiot like you just shot a few members of the Republican house baseball team because he was upset at something someone said.

Reply to
tRudy Crayola

There's zero evidence of you kicking anyone anywhere. You are just another impotent gasbag with a habit, probably lifelong, of being on the wrong side of the facts and refusing to accept reality.

LOL So now you admit to "garnishment!" Too little too late, nothing new for you, right? Wieber's failures cause his disgruntlement which motivates him to lie, outright and repeatedly. But he's as incompetent at the lying as everything else in his life. Your defense of that lying was also hilariously incompetent, and a strong sign that you're probably an equally disgruntled loser. Whatever else you do, hang on to that hope and crackpot ideology though, because maybe someday you'll be able to trade it for a pot of gold.

The guy was deranged, and his life had degenerated to the point he was living in his truck. So he didn't have much to lose by acting out his fantasy. We know about Wieber's derangement and fantasies and that he spends a lot of time living out of his vehicle. We know about your derangement and fantasies, so you might as well fess up to how much sleeping you do in your truck. Or park bench, whatever.

Reply to
Hurricane

Obviously someone kicked you very hard, giving you horrible dead damage. Or is that an inbred birthright for you?

Whattsa matter? Mommy didn't buy enough toys? She made you suck her dick instead of a titty? You are merely transferring your lifes failures to others in a futile attempt to make yourself look normal.

So are you!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Yet another windbag post full of fantasy and without a single rational argument. Wieber lied incompetently and failed as usual. You defended the lies incompetently and failed as usual. Everything else you've written is just you stomping your feet because you can't accept reality.

Reply to
Hurricane

No. He's the one doing the kicking.

Lame. All references in Usenet to "Mommy" are lame and indicative of mental defect.

Reply to
Fred Wingo

Poxed PeePee can't even get his nym right. First of all, it isn't even really Latin. Secondly, even as pseudo-Latin, it's wrong.

Reply to
Fred Wingo

So what? A reading doesn't change your actual elevation, which is easy to look up, you idiot.

No, obviously, imbecile.

Please explain how this date stuff affects your elevation, or your lying about it.

Reply to
Hurricane

Easiest way is Google Earth. But you have been given links to topos as well. Is it your plan to claim stupidity in order to prove you weren't lying? Brilliant! LOL

Keep digging, idiot.

Please explain why you think you need to be here for me to post.

Reply to
Hurricane