Mechanical Aptitude Test

On a side note..I ordered two pair of glasses from Zenni Optical a month ago. Im still waiting for them, but a fast call to the US office indicated that they should be here any day, as they were shipped.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I've been meaning to do that, but can't see the doctor's address in the phone book ........

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

I've looked at that worm gear question another time after a respected coworker of mine also got it wrong, and I'm not convinced that the "right" answer is right. Either that or there's some Escher kind of thing going on with that drawing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hey Dave,

Naw, they have it correct. It was just me.

Just for fun, draw a series of parallel diagonal lines, top left to lower right. If that were the "threads" of a screw, you would be drawing a right-hand thread, with the head of the bolt on the right-hand side. Now pull the top of the lines "down", as indicated by the arrow showing rotation direction on the drawing. That moves the "centre" of each line to the left. The same motion if it were a bolt would be to loosen or remove the bolt. The "bolt" in this case is trapped, and while it can turn, it cannot move left or right, so the force is applied to the nut (worm-gear), and would therefore push it away. Pushing "away" on the top of the worm-gear causes it to rotate Counter-Clock-Wise.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

That _was_ fun :) Thanks for the post. 44 right for 88%

Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry