Model Engine Builder Magazine

Ah, 15A peak. That were the old days.

Certainly, the dI/dt in the moment of switching off the coil is important. But IIRC I calculated something in the 10µs range to get the 500V on the primary side. But I may be wrong. Anyhow, 10µs isn't that fast and I even don't switch off as fast as I can.

Right. That's what's happening if the secondary has no spark plug connected. Some of the cheaper ignition systems warn you of that problem. The coil's isolation won't be good enough. With my vacuum-impregnated coil and the voltage-limiting on the primary, that doesn't happen.

Slow and "big" coils (high R_i and high L). As I said, my coil has a charge time of 0.5ms, even "fast" coils (the big type know since decades) do have several ms and their limit is at about 200 sparks per second with already reduced energy. I couldn't measure it right at the moment I tried because I lacked a suitable power-supply (now have one). But it looks like I get about 1000 sparks/second out of that coil. I really don't know wether there is some such thing like recovery time (for the coil), but I'll investigate on that later.

Thanks for the explanation. Looks to be too complicated to do, except for one-offs. I can't measure the capacitance of the coil, but it *looks* like I didn't make a bad job (looking at the rise-times on the secondary). I learned, that the inter-layer isolation reduces capacitance too. The means is simple: Increase the physical distance between windings with a high voltage difference.

Thanks for your input, Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Good HV coils are all vacuum impregnated. Climco Coil, as one example, makes thousands or perhaps millions of them per year, mostly for small engines and magnetos. The spark ignitors in gas stoves are pi-wound ferrite-core fully-potted coils about the size of a large thimble. The 25KV ionizers in the made-in-China cheapo powdercoat guns are vacuum potted. They claim that they're 50KV. They lie!

It's done routinely in production coils. Just a matter of getting the molded bobbins. Production coil winding machines are almost completely automatic. Cost is a matter of pounds of copper and number of terminations, numbers of turns or bays are about irrelevant.

Yup, that works. Fish paper between secondary layers was used for decades, may still be in some older-tech coils.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cosmo used to be pretty good with samples. Nick may want to give them a try.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

It came the other day. Straight forward and logical work flow. Did they edit for space?

Btw, what is that tool post you have there?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thanks

No, it was accepted almost the same way I wrote it (minus my errors).

It is an AXA-toolpost (AKA Multifix). The reference here in Germany since decades. Funny enough, they are sold under at least two brands, but coming out of the same factory (in the same cardboard box, wrapped with exactly the same old newspaper and oiled paper).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

rotfl! when I saw this thread again that was exactly the same question I was going to ask. whats that neat little toolpost in the photos. good article. Stealth pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

It ain't that small. The lathe is big. :-) The toolpost has 40 positions, real fast changing of tools, repeatability of position is 1/100mm. Different sizes available. Also available as Chinese clones.

I wrote it while I built the Hoglet (? The cute 37ccm V-twin in one of the later '07 issues). Last weekend, I was at a fair with that engine (and others, unfortunately, the V not yet running) and people loved it a *lot*. But I made some changes to the look while I converted it to metric. Changed the push-rods to be slimmer, changed the case for the cam and used followers (? right word) instead of the short tappets. Also made my own carb that looks a lot like an old Harley carb. Further changed the shape of the cylinders and the shape of the "crank case". I'll send photos to Mike as soon as I'm finished.

Also had some issues of MEB with me to show them to the people how good that magazine is. Hope I convinced some of them to subscribe it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Pretty well standard fitting on Hardinge lathes in the UK (the Multifix, that is)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand