Off topic

Hi, I just subscribed to this newgroup since I am interested in metal working. To my surprise most of the subjects are political, at least a great
number of them. Being a non US resident (Dutch in fact) I wonder why all these off- topic subjects should appear in this newsgroup. Hans
snipped-for-privacy@fantasy.nl wrote:

Because it's not a moderated group, and for some reason the nuts collect here. The more you refrain from replying to them, the less reward they get from posting.
It is unfortunate, but it's the price you pay for an unmoderated group.
If you have the latest Thunderbird you can filter out the posts by where they are cross-posted.
--
Tim Wescott

Thanks Tim for your explanation! Hans
snipped-for-privacy@fantasy.nl wrote:

Because it's easier to complain and flame than to do stand-up metalworking.

I can't add much to that! :-)
Harold
This is nothing. You want to see a real cesspool? Rec.boats. JR Dweller in the cellar
snipped-for-privacy@fantasy.nl wrote:

Some very fine groups have been obliterated: sci.med.nutrition, misc.fitness.misc, even sci.physics is grinding down to the asphalt.
--
EA

Hans: It es yoost like ven Svan unt Ollie sit around the fire and talk about herring and girls who smell like herring. You can't talk about der bizness all der time.
Hope this helps.
Lots of good metal stuff here among the weeds.
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@fantasy.nl wrote:

Well, a lot of us here are Americans and we don't play well with rules. You are going to have to learn how to filter and kill file if you want to have a pleasant day here.
Btw, my heritage is split between English and Dutch.
Anyway, you are using agent. Right off the bat, add Too Many Tools, Hot ham and Cheese, and of course Cliff Hulprich to a kill filter. Just do it, trust me.
Right click on Date, select "Thread with newest message first" and that will give you a view of most recent replies. That is how most web forums present a view.
Now set up a view checking "unread" and "not ignored". Set that as your default view.
Now is when the fun begins.
When you see a thread that is political and not interesting, some can be, seldom do they come back to metalworking, but it has happened. For that thread press I for ignore, press F5 to refresh and the thread will go away as long as the servers work correctly or some miscreant doesn't change the header to keep the thread going.
If the thread is marginal, press X with the thread collapsed and then press F5 to make it go away for a while until there is another reply.
Please keep in mind that *some* of the very political actually know something about metalworking and will respond to an on topic question so be careful on filtering too soon.
For example, Ed Huntress used to write for machining magazines and John Carroll is a wizzard at multi axis machining for just for example.
I am a repair tech in a machining based manufacturing facility and am building a RGG .22 LR Gatlin gun for fun in my home shop. Fair warning, I respond to political stuff.
Welkom
Wes

    They should *not* -- but there is no way to keep them out.
    The best thing is a newsreader with a good killfile which can kill articles on many characteristics.
    My first line of defense is blocking anything cross-posted to more than three newsgroups. (Look for three or more commas in the "Newsgroups: " header.)
    A lot of blocking on "NNTP-Posting-Host: " IPs from places where nothing but spam comes in (China, Korea, India and many other places).
    Blocking on *any* cross-posting to specific other newsgroups, such as "misc.survivalism", several gun-related newsgroups, any newsgroup with "politics" in the name, and as you see more unwanted material, you can add individual posters by name. Note that some who are large sources of political discussion also post valid things in the metalworking subject area.
    Best of luck,         DoN.

Hans,
If you'd like to connect with a forum that is metal working related, where religion, politics and profanity are not acceptable, check the Chaski Home Machinist board.
Sure to please if you have manners.
Harold
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:48:24 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"

Thanks Harold for your suggestion. I think that forum suits my interests very well. Regards, Hans