ONE SECOND AFTER

The topic we were discussing is EMP, Gunner.

Try to pay attention, ok?

Sheesh!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

RCM only

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:49:51 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

I grabbed a copy of "Hiroshima" at the library last week and watched it (3 hour movie!) over the weekend. Japan had over 2 million soldiers in China alone. For a very small nation, they mobilized very well.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch schrieb:

Are you proposing that it's as easy to start a rocket with a nuclear payload into outer space as it is to fly a plane into a building? I'm afraid we are talking about different games here. Heck, we are talking about different sports!

I stick with what i wrote. The effects are known, but the actual risk is small.

Karsten

Reply to
Karsten Kruse

I don't think the final accounting numbers are in yet, especially if you consider the current wars to be part of the after affect.

Reply to
Zombywoof

Which morphed into a "Can't Happen". A lot of things people think couldn't/wouldn't happen actually have.

Reply to
Zombywoof

That's not exactly what happened here, zeb.

People! (YOU too Gunner@!&*)

Please read more than the first sentence of a post?

Reply to
cavelamb

You know, I don't know where this thread started before it got cross posted here, but thanks. I'd prefer it in book form, but it's a damn good listen. I haven't seen a new piece of apocalyptic fiction is quite a while that was worth reading...until now.

So, to whoever cross posted it here initially and made me aware of it...thanks.

Reply to
Deucalion

I agree that, if one is looking at terrorist attack, it is very unlikely. If one looks at a small country (eg. N. Korea/Iran) then it becomes more likely, but I'd worry about a major earthquake in NC more. So, IMO, yes it's possible, but it's very unlikely.

That being said, I would have put such a scenario ahead of someone using military grade weaponized anthrax against our elected leaders and that one has actually already happened. The future is uncertain and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now to talk about he book a little bit. It's a good read. Geographically, it's very accurate. It doesn't contain some of the glaring technical errors that spoil some other novels. It's a work of fiction. Treat it that way and just enjoy the read/listen.

Reply to
Deucalion

Agreed. I didn't know the effect was greater at high altitude, but the point is still the same. Not even a nation with ICBMs is going to launch an attack like that except as part of a low altitude nuclear attack. If they did they would invite retaliation (even if it's only massive conventional retaliation) without hope of killing our military. So it remains that only Russia could do it, since they are still the only country with the power to kill the US, but they'd suffer retaliation too. Other powers like NK would be destroyed while inflicting only repairable damage to us.

So I wouldn't even call the risk small. It's smaller than the probability of total nuclear war, and if both the consequenses and the probability are smaller then there's no need to worry.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Actually..yes....its actually easier to start a rocket with a nuke into outer space, than it is to get 4 airplanes all headed for their own targets. You will note that only 3 of the 4 actually made it to their targets.

This of course assumes you have a rocket handy. And frankly...all it takes is money in the right suitcase, handed to the right persons.

Your opinion is again noted with amused contempt.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed. Fair enough.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So if a Scud 2 with a nuke is launched from off shore, from a freighter and detonated over the Eastern Seaboard, we are going to attack which country?

Be specific. Use as much whitespace as necessary.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Totalitarian nations do mobilize quickly. And its often hard to kill them. So lets not let totalitarian nations arise, ok?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that reported Elvis on Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:16:14

-0700 in misc.survivalism:

[Carrington Event level solar storms estimated to occur every 500 years or so]

A "500 year flood" means there is a 0.2% chance of it happening in any one year. The probability of having a "5oo year flood" two years running is very low, but still possible.

- pyotr filipivich. Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel, you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gasoline in 1947 probably would work after 10 years. Not real well, but would probably work. The Discovery channel After Man show, said that the power from Hoover dam would keep flowing for years untill the quagga mussels blocked the pipes and there were no quaggas in 1947. And would have been more mechanical switchs which also would work longer than some of the modern stuff.

Reply to
Calif Bill

wall fried

Supernews used to drop messages crossposted to five groups, or more when posted from Google groups. That got rid of a lot of crap. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The one that made the bomb. If the official line is that we can't determine who made it, that would mean the administration doesn't want to deal with it.

Aside from the radiation signature, the use of a freighter which is easily identifiable would mean that you have some pretty stupid terrorists on your hands. They could have parked the bomb in a small boat in the harbor without the expense or difficulty of a scud, and caused real terror. Blackouts don't exactly terrorize people. It's one contingency we don't have to waste time worrying about.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:49:51 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Great Britain. A small island off the coast of Holland, which is responsible for the happiness of a quarter of the earths population." From a Dutch Gazette I read decades ago.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Karsten Kruse on or about Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:28:06 +0200 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

So is being run over in traffic. Or being in a fatal car wreck. Or being hit by a rock from a nearby trebuchet.

So don't worry. Even if the clowns down at the end of the block are building a trebuchet.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

How far can you toss a clown with a trebuchet? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell