ONE SECOND AFTER

Our 2005 Liberty CRD was recalled due to excessive torque doing in the torque converters. The recall in our case was done in two visits. The first was a patch to the computer code to reduce the amount of torque the engine produces. Second visit they replaced the torque converter with a beefier one.

I *wish* that once step two was completed, they'd have reversed step one.

Oh well, it gets 30mpg on the highway, 12 mpg better than the 3.7L gas option. Dunno if that was because the engine finally got broken in, or because of the changes to the computer.

At any rate... yeah, without the computer, this diesel won't run.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

You know, i sure wanted a CRD Liberty when they came out. Then about the time I was ready to kick tires they started having failures, and then they stopped making them. Had I known they would get 30 mpg I might have bought one anyway. What does it get around town?

Reply to
RBnDFW

We had the torque recall, and we had the turbo replaced (leaky seal) under warranty. The only thing we've paid for was a rear U-Joint. The 2.8L was made by Motori. Yeah, '05 or '06 was the last year for those, but you can get a German designed (and built?) 3.0L in the Grand Cherokees.

Just went out and looked at the mileage book. Our best tank was 30.8 mpg during the cross-country trip.

We don't really do any strictly town driving. These days my wife drives it 1/2 mile to work and back, and ~28 miles of mostly highway to groceries. Our last three tanks with that driving mix got us

25, 26, and 23 (+/- 0.1)

For a 4000+ lb. vehicle rated to haul 1150 lbs, and tow 5400 lbs, I can't complain about the fuel efficiency at all.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

======== You may find the following of interest:

be sure to read the reader comments/ Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Dammit, I may have to give those another look. I do recall being AMAZED that those cute little things weighed 2 tons.

Reply to
RBnDFW

An EMP would cause more than a blackout. However, even if it were just an electrical blackout for a month or two over the entire country, the death toll would still be significant.

Now add to that most vehicles not working, medical devices going south, etc., and you are talking about a significant blow to society.

Having finished listening to the book, I can only see one technical flaw in the story line. That would be the loss of communications with the outside world. Granted, radio stations inside the affected area would be gone. However, radio stations outside the affected area would still be working. One can build a kit radio capable of receiving short wave broadcasts.

Also, the idea of survivalists throwing in with the rest of the townspeople was a bit hard to swallow, but it is fiction after all.

Overall, it was a very good listen (read?) Once again, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Reply to
Deucalion

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell" on or about Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:33:42

-0400 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Difficult to say, the clowns are usually intense.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Tom Del Rosso" on or about Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:16:39 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Blackouts lasting months are not a concern? Excuse me, but when the water goes out people get really cranky - no coffee without water!

pyotr filipivich

Yeah, but they don't like being irradiated either. Given the considerable extra expense for this type of attack, they will choose the other option. And the sponsoring nation won't equip the terrorists to use a method that makes tracing the source easier.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The big question....how big is the trebuchet?

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:14:22 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Considering the number of clowns that get into those cars in the circus ... oh wait ...

Hmm, I'd say about yea big.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Tom Del Rosso" on or about Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:06:45 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

This of course, assumes that the sponsoring nation isn't prepared for Armageddon. Last I heard, the Iranians were big believers in the

12th Imman, and one thing good Muslims can do to hasten his re-appearance, is massive global strife.

It's sort of like how many Evangelicals just know that the second coming is dependent on Antichrist introducing the Tribulation and waging the battle of Armageddon. Only in the Evangelical's cases, they're not trying to hurry the onset of the Antichrist by precipitating the Tribulation.

pyotr filipivich

No problem. Add a little gasoline to the clowns for increased horsepower..a match and PULL the trigger.

Flying Clown Flambe!

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that John Husvar on or about Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:38:37 -0400 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

In the Orthodox Church there is Holy Tradition - which you do not tinker with, and there is Tradition - which is how we've always done it, and then there are the local traditions - which you mess with only if you are willing to face down the grandmothers.

pyotr filipivich

RCM only

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:51:32 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Ooh, if you're going to be using gasoline, please switch to _mimes_. They're much more irritating than regular clowns. NOW you're cookin'!

-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh YES!! Id not thought about Flying Flaming Mimes!! Good call!!!

Smokin!!

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Not having a horse in this race, I would suggest that the Iranians have a very specific reason to want to a nuclear capabability:- The other nuclear capable terrorist nation in the Middle East that has a nasty habit of ignoring other countries' boundaries, international laws and treaties. At least your current president isn't supporting them quite as irresponsibly as his predecessor.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

They certainly have a reason, but it's not one that Western countries would accept.

This isn't a sporting competition, nor are we applying Western-style rules of evidence. This is a case of realpolitik, in which most countries understand the principles of non-proliferation and the instability risk posed by a nuclear-armed Iran. It isn't just Israel that's nervous. It's also much of the Arab Middle East, who probably would feel compelled to develop their own nuclear weapons in a balance of terror.

Then all bets are off. The issue is whether we'll allow that kind of instability and threat of nuclear war to develop out of the theoretical niceties of sovereignty, the way we did with Germany between the wars. Most of the world's powers apparently have decided we will not.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Absolutely right on target, Ed. Thanks.

Reply to
cavelamb

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques on or about Mon, 31 Aug 2009 04:39:57 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I was thinking to use Anti-Clowns. They're like Goths, only more intense.

pyotr filipivich