OT: again deer hunting rifles

Try this old saved message. Is it you?

PS. The mold lapping experiment didn't work out so well as I recall. I got it egg shaped in cross section.

This works fine for both steel and aluminum molds. I have used "Clover" ultra fine lapping compound to do this. Take your time though, dont try to take too much off at once. I would suggest getting an accurate inside Mike, and take a couple test readings before starting, then lap, flush out, read again, etc. You will probably have to have a couple laps handy, as they do wear. I cast a few out of zinc when I did a Lyman 475gr Spitzer that dropped 454 bullets instead of .459 Took two laps to get the job done, and about 15 minutes

Good luck Gunner

Gunner

geolane_NOSPAM_

Not even! The rules may have changed, but I seem to recall one of the states defined a fully automatic (and thus not legal to hunt with) as being capable of firing more than 3 rounds per single depression of the trigger. Arkansas? ?? Been a while since I read through that particular pile O gun mags from the 80's.

The short version is that an AR/M-16 with 3 round burst was legal for hunting.

Dunno if that one lasted, but you never know.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I have met a couple serious deer hunters that hunt deer and bears with an SKS. They enjoy the challenge, the rifle is cheap to buy, and they take some pride in the fact that there are a pile of guys out there that seem to think that they are at some massive disadvantage.

Same guys do OK bowhunting, too.

Not my pick, not the choice I would make on behalf of a new hunter, but still quite a capable firearm in the hands of the proficient.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

These guns you speak poorly of are generally as accurate or more so than the legion of Model 94 lever guns that account for a swackload of deer every year. In all truth, I beleive that the average guy that would hunt with an SKS has probably actually been to the range or out plinking with it, wich is generally more than the average guy with a levergun has.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Geez Steeve, you're starting to sound like you have some issues.

Aside from not having much of a clue what is going on out in the woods today, you seem to place great faith in the idea that a mis-sent bullet from a SKS is somehow a greater risk than from any of the other guns that are out there.

Morons wailing away at running deer are a hazard (and sadly, a fact of life until they cull each other out) no matter if he has a $139 SKS or a $1500 Browning, bolt, lever, or semi-auto.

The SKS may well be a POS, but for A POS it seems to me, it holds up fine in the company it runs in, right along with the hordes of half clapped out 30-30's that somehow still seem to make the deer just as dead as they always have.

You should read through some of the old hunting magazines from the days when scopes were not yet "the" thing to have on a hunting rifle. The spew then had pretty much the same smell.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I don't get what your saying. The SKS doesn't have a 50 round magazine. Even that suggestion isn't humorous because the SKS has one of the smallest magazine capacity of any of the assault variety.

To label the SKS a piece of shit is to ignore the facts. The ones I have seen were quite well made, and a good design for that era. While the US was fumbling around with the Garand and M14 (To big, to heavy, longer training, less firepower), the SKS was way ahead in the assault rifle concept.

While the SKS doesn't suit my hunting style, I could understand why some may like it. It's cheap, reliable, and has a light recoil that allows a fast followup shot, which makes it good for dense woods hunting. The 7.62x39 ctg. is one of the least powerful acceptable hunting rounds, certainly not overpowering as you suggest when you write " a rifle capable of shooting more than two miles to kill a deer."

And the folding bayo is great for roasting mashmellows.

Reply to
Dick Cheney's Left foot

Most its ok. However the magazine needs to be blocked to 5 rounds in most.

It should be noted that in some states..its shotguns only.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Nah..its not all that bad. Though the previous owner did have something of a twitch when I talked him out of it.

My lil 18" barreled carbine in 375 H&H..no that tends to make ones eyes cross. Its bigger brother on the Enfield action is much more comfortable to shoot. The little one..only rifle that stood me upright when firing prone. Well..the 50 Sharps my buddy owns..that sorta does too...but slower.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Speaking of boneheads...ahum..SKS's come with a 10 round non detachable box magazine.

And in many states, have replaced the venerable 3030 as pickup truck rifle rack de jour.

Now Im curious..my pickup rifle of choice is a chopped and channeled #4 Lee Enfield, and it too has a 10 round magazine, though tis bolt action.

What is the difference other than the #4 is 3x as powerful?

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

So because a motor vehicle may be capable of going 130 mph..everyone who owns one will drive 130 mph?

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

The fact that they are shor, light, quick to point and utterly dependable while firing a medium cartridge well suited for deer is totally besides the point?

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

hardly shit.

Rugged, reliable, easy to maintain, and will average 2-3 MOA with factory ammo. More than good enough for brush country hunting.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Ayup

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I wasn't going to mention the bayonet . I was afraid Steve would blow a gasket ...

Reply to
Snag

Amen.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

"Trevor Jones" wrote

Heck, the old ones used to kill deer with sharp sticks, sharpened rocks, and some gut sinew.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Trevor Jones" wrote

In all truth, I beleive that the average guy that would

Very true, because of the MUCH cheaper ammo.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Trevor Jones" wrote

Just PTSD from seeing too many things in my life.

One of those negative images is woods full of hunters shooting at anything that moves with rifles capable of laying down some firepower.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Snag" wrote

Why would I do that? Every short dicked hunter that needs a big bad semiautomatic deer rifle needs a bayonet lug and bayonet to complete his image.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B