OT: again deer hunting rifles

In my state, semiautomatic rifles used to not be legal for deer hunting. I'm not sure now, but will check.

Just got off the phone, and they are now legal in this state.

Can you imagine the idea that there exists a universe beyond the limits of Michigan where rules just might be different?

I am just suggesting to everyone that before they make a major purchase that they investigate the rules and regulations in the area they intend to use said item.

But, then, how would that interest any bonehead that would even consider using an SKS for deer hunting?

I guess, though, with the fifty shot clip, that it ought to make getting a deer a little more likely. Sheer pandemonium for anyone else in the woods, but what the heck. It's all about firepower, whether you're in Michigan or New York City. And from what I hear, an SKS is not that tough to alter to FULL AUTO. Just the thing a clueless deer hunter needs.

Right?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I now stand corrected. I called Fish and Wildlife, and now, semiautomatic centerfire rifles are legal for deer hunting.

I will not, however, (as some here do) profess to know the rules for each and every other state, and suggest that hunters investigate their own rules before going afield.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No, we have plenty of deer, but we also have plenty of people and our states are pretty darn flat for the most part.

There aren't a lot of places where people are out of rifle range.

Paul K. Dickman (Illinois)

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

No , they obviously have too many people !

Reply to
Snag

I happen to be one of those "boneheads" ... because the SKS is an excellent medium power .30 cal firearm that is reasonably accurate , not too heavy on recoil , is capable of absorbing enormous mistreatment and still be functional and ammo is plentiful and cheap . I happen to have two , and both are in the original configuration . Wooden stock , 10 round magazine , and iron sights . I resent your implication that any one who owns one of these is an anarchist waitin' for an opportunity . I did not buy mine solely for hunting , as I have other arms more suitable for some types of hunting - but it was a consideration . I suppose you also think anyone who rides a Harley is a 1%er too ...

Reply to
Snag

You are right, it depends on the state. In my state, if I recall correctly, no rifles can be used for deer hunting. (IL) I recall that SKSes can be used in some other states, like WI. It is all complicated.

I do not hunt myself, it is very cumbersome.

Ignoramus16651

I guess if it's all you got ...................

Save your money and one day buy a decent rifle. And if you need anything more than a one shot bolt action rifle to kill a deer, you need to stay home and drink beer. Firing multiple rounds in heavy woods with other hunters nearby ............. what's wrong with this picture?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Where did I say I ever used more than one round ? Decent rifles ? Ruger stainless 77 bolt , in .270 Husqvarna (branded Sears) featherweight bolt in 30-06 Interarms Mk X in .243

All carry high end optics suitable for the intended purpose .

I believe those three will cover *most* large and small game on the North American continent with the appropriate handload . Plus assorted shotguns , handguns , black powder arms , and recurve bows .

Reply to
Snag

Now I'm confused. First, you defend the SKS as an acceptable deer rifle. Next, you mix purebred pedigrees with those mongrels. Which is it?

The heritage of the SKS is directly linked to the AK47 .......

If you even include the SKS in the same conversation with the lowest rated US manufactured deer rifles, you lose all credibility.

Can you hunt deer with an AK 47 or an SKS?

Yes!

Are these the choice of weapons among serious experienced deer hunters?

I doubt it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Most states limit rifle & shotgun magazine capacity of semi-automatics to 3 shots. If your caught in the woods with a magazine capable of accepting more than the allowed limit the game warden aint gonna be too happy.

And semi automatics aren't easily converted to full automatic, otherwise the ATF wouldn't allow them to be imported or produced.

Reply to
Dick Cheney

Good points. Sorry you missed my gist.

The SKS is a piece of shit. And if you need multiple shots from a rifle capable of shooting more than two miles to kill a deer in deep woods crowded with other hunters, you need to find a new hobby.

Hope I made it clear enough that time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Some people don't know the difference between semi automatin and full auto. You can't hunt with a rifle that has that full auto switch on it unless you are in Iraq. .

John

Reply to
John

I would recommend a .416 Rem Mag, but nothing less than a .375 H&H, preferably side by side . Good for all sorts of varmints. It will teach the boy proper trigger control and after learning these calibers anything else will be a cinch. With a .416 you'll see a deer go down faster than a crusty old lawyer hit with birdshot.And Rule number 1 at my ranch, if your gonna hide a briefcase full of money in the woods for me to find don't do it where i'm aiming.

Your friend Dick.

Reply to
Dick Cheney's Left foot

Russian military, in the old times when they had fuel to fly helicopters, liked to hunt deer from helicopters by shoting machine guns at them while pursuing them in helicopters and low altitude.

Russian Bear Investigation A Pennsylvania tavern owner who has been facing charges related to taking two brown bears in Russia with the use of a helicopter was reindicted by a federal grand jury in Anchorage for four felonies, three under the Lacey Act for filing false information about importing the bear trophies and one for perjury when he lied while under oath. A motion submitted by the man's attorney to move his trial to Pennsylvania has been denied.

Trial is pending in Anchorage where a video tape taken by the hunter's Alaskan booking agent will be key evidence. The video shows a Russian military helicopter chasing the bears to the waiting hunter. SA Dick Hart has worked hard in collecting evidence and shipping it to Alaska.

Ignoramus16651

I did *not* say the SKS were bought solely for deer or other hunting . I said that use of it for that was one of several possible uses . You have your opinion , I think the SKS (and AK , for that matter) are an engineering marvel . Yup , they have loose tolerances . Yup , they're less accurate than an M-16 . But they are reliable , and more accurate than most offhand shooters are capable of . They may not have a place in your closet , but they do in mine . BTW , mine are Russian pre-ban ...

Reply to
Snag

Gee , Steve , be careful or people are going to think you don't like SKS .

Reply to
Snag

"Snag" wrote

Wonderful.

But, IIRC, the original conversation was about a choice of rifles for an 18 year old neophyte DEER hunter.

The AK 47, SKS, and Tech9 have their places in the gun safes of shooters.

But any savvy person will have to admit that they are all plinking weapons, with as you say "loose tolerances", and basically all pieces of shit when compared to a decent brand name.

If you want to, or choose to, go into the woods with people armed with these piece of shit weapons and their blast anything shoot as many shots as the magazine is capable of mentality, I wish you well.

Film at eleven.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"John" wrote

And most are clueless when it comes to discussing weapons and their actual use in the real world.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I share your sentiments about hunting with AKs and Tec9's, but as far as I know, SKSes are relatively more accurate. Especially non-Chinese ones. I will probably try some experimenting this summer with different kinds of ammo.

Ignoramus16651

Had an Uncle that hunted CROW with a 30-06. He needed the range to get them, not the fire power.

Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn