OT: again deer hunting rifles

Where do you live..Washington DC?

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

On the SKS as a POS !

Recently I did a little work on a friend's kid's SKS. I drove out the pins holding the grenade-launcher on. Then I re-profiled the new muzzle on the lathe and crowned it. Various mounting lugs were machined off in the mill and all wounds were spot-blued (blacked) to match the original finish. When finished, it was still a POS.

Bob Swinney

. "Dick Cheney's Left foot" wrote in message news:YupHh.54$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hi Steve,

The way you wrote this reads that they are not legal to use in any state, period. I guess what you meant to write was:

Semi-automatic rifles may not be legal for deer hunting in all states.

which I agree with entirely. I don't know what the laws are concerning this in other states but I do know that they are legal in certain areas of Michigan. I used to carry a Mini-14 with a six shoot clip sometimes while Deer hunting. Michigan has a limit on the size clip that you can use (I believe it is six rounds and one in the chamber. I haven't been Deer hunting in years but I do look over the rules most every season). The Mini had a scope on it and my lever-action didn't. Sometimes a scope is nice, sometimes not.

No offense really, just reading what you wrote which seems to be different than what you meant. I'll go back to snoozing now...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

And I stepped on my own dick by saying they were not legal in my state before calling the Wildlife Department and asking about current law. They USED to not be legal a long long long time ago when I hunted in Nevada. Today they are. Duhh.

Nevada is so restrictive when it comes to deer hunting that I just go pay what Utah wants and get far better hunting. And if I want something bigger, I just go for a guided outfitted hunt.

Although, now, with health concerns, I stick mainly with dove and quail.

Still wouldn't mind a few hundred pounds of elk meat, though .......

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Single shot bolt actions aren't too common in the gun shops around here.

Do you have one in mind that you consider suitable for deer hunting?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

A single shot large caliber centerfire would be an unusual piece, indeed. Most bolt actions have a magazine.

Good brands would be Browning, Winchester, Savage, Remington, Ruger just to name a few.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I once worked with a guy who used an 8 Ga. for geese, he weighed over

300 lb. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

I know of a couple of young ladies who have boneheadedly used their SKSs for venison harvesting here in Wisconsin. I sold the rifles to their father. The older one, Kelsey, got her first deer when she was

14 and I don't think I've ever seen a bigger GRIN. Both girls are small, 90 pounds or so. Between them, 6 or 7 deer and all one shot kills. No 50 round mags needed.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

What's a decent rifle? An SKS is accurate and powerful enough for deer out to about 200 yards, much like a 30-30 Winchester 94. The SKS is also reliable and easy to maintain.

Why do you need a bolt action? From your comments, all you should need is a single shot. It's nice to see someone who appreciates that not all choose to hunt the way he does.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 19:53:36 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "David R. Birch" quickly quoth:

I don't hunt but picked up a nice little SKS for $100 as a Christmas present for myself. I now have $200 in it with a 4x30 scope, sling, bore store sock, cleaning kit, recoil buffer, and a fresh pint of mang phos to Parkerize dat puppy. I wouldn't want to be downrange when it barks. (Would you, Steve? ;) They're fun little carbines.

-- Don't take life so seriously. You'll never get out of it alive. --Elbert Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ironic that you would say this, since you know so little about hunting rifles outside your own little patch. We buy a lot of soft point ammo here in Wisconsin, where the state pretty much shuts down during deer season. Lots of that SP is 7.62x39, and it only takes one of those to drop a deer, like any other round.

Too bad you have to show us how superior you are by hunting with such an expensive commercial rifle. I'm so ashamed that it makes it hard to choke done the venison I harvested with my nasty semiauto 10 shot mag

30'06 FN49.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

In what way was it POS? Was it unreliable? Was it unable to hit a deer at 150 yards?

Or do you believe that Manly Men only hunt with what the gun mags tell them is Right?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I am very impressed and if I was their dad, I would be proud.

Sounds like they need to join some military service that would use them as snipers. The Soviets used to use female snipers widely during WWII. I hope that the current military regulations in the US would permit women working as snipers.

Ignoramus15713

I have found that the more ridges one puts between oneself and the road, the more critters, and less hunters are encountered. Walking, that is.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

"David R. Birch" wrote

A stainless/synthetic Browning A bolt 300 short mag isn't THAT expensive.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a couple of questions regarding SKS guns.

  1. What would be an accurate ammo to try one out and measure its accuracy.

  1. What is a good scope mount, preferably the kind that mounts on a receiver and NOT a "cover replacement" junk. Now that I have better drilling and tapping capability than before, I would like to add a scope to my Russian SKS. (I mistakenly said earlier that mine was a Yugoslavian).

Ignoramus15713

90 million Communists loved it.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Look guys.....

The SKS was designed as a short, light, handy, utterly reliable and effective battle rifle to be carried and used by thumb fingered turd worlders.

And Comrade Simonov did a marvelous job of doing just that.

To be reliable, it has to be loose and open. It has to rattle.

Despite the fact it was designed as a battle rifle, it is also a marvelous utility rifle. And for the same reasons it makes a marvelous battle rifle.

They are hard to hurt, easy to fix , cheap to replace, accurate enough for most tasks.

Is it a target rifle? Fuck no. Average 100 meter "accuracy" is about a

3" group with most ammunition. Which means it will keep 5 rounds in the bottom of a beer can at that range. Double the range, you double the group size. Geeze..at two football fields, you are now shooting into a 6" circle. Potting oyster crackers, its not gonna make it.

But the kill zone on a deer is about 10" x 12" . At any angle.

On humans..its 12"x 18"

Ballistically..the normal 123 gr bullet at 2300 fps..is nearly equivilent to the 3030 rifle cartridge.

"Point Blank Range"..where the bullet is no more than 6" high, and 6" low below the line of sight, is 300 yrds. If you hold on the center of that 10" x 12" square of the kill zone of the deer and pull the trigger..within 300 yrds..that bullet will land inside that box. And given the "accuracy" of the basic rifle, it will be well within the box. At 300 yrds.

For a short, light, handy, rugged, utterly reliable and inexpensive rifle..what more can you ask for?

Is it a hip slick and cool wonder zapper? Nope. Can you shoot prarie dogs at 800 meters with it? Nope

But can you stuff it behind the rifle rack of your beater pick up truck for a year and bang it around daily, and expect it to take a deer, a hog, a brush bunny or keep a spikey haired cannible mutant or jack boothed thug off your ass?

Yup

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Snag

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:55:23 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

It's about ten times the price I paid for my SKS. I'd call that expensive. ($945 from

) I prefer the SKS on all levels except superior accuracy, which I don't need. I'm not a sniper (or a hunter, though they're fine for hunting.)