OT---Blending waste and heating oil for use in a boiler

Is the reason that the nozzles need to be replaced on older burners because most older burners have a hard combustion chamber?

I bought the kid a KM800 off Ebay after getting a pretty high quote from a furnace service company. I asked them what sort of instrument they used and he said a smoke spot test. How long do the oxygen sensors last? And is this dependent on how often they are used?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
dcaster

The older burners usually don't have a post purge cycle, which helps to cool the nozzle and prevent coking. Also, newer burners have a solenoid operated quick cutoff valve at the pump to prevent post shutdown dripping at the nozzle.

The sensors in the combustion test equipment need to be changed on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the shelf life is, but they go bad even with non-use. The some sensors can be changed in the field, some have to go back to the factory. When a sensor is changed the unit needs to be recalibrated, usually with a test gas.

Tony

Reply to
Tony