OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

One half pound pack of ground meat, one 16oz glass soda bottle one cup ground up cork

put hamburger in skillet, on low heat, slowly simmer, and mix in one cup of cork and one 16 oz soda bottle that has been broken up and crushed to small piecs.

Cook thourougly and allow juices fro meat to absorb into cork.

Form into patties, and strategically place patties where dog can find them

Corks stops em up and gut action plus glass makes em bleed internally ,dog problem gone.also work for cats

Reply to
Huey Conway

Most of them have a built in siren that sounds a lot higher than that!

Reply to
John Ings

"keith bowers" wrote

keith I know tweeter horns, but the rest of that is Swahili to me. Can you elaborate or tell me where I can get plans or a finished amplifier?

Reply to
Rex B

I agree. But what Anthony is saying makes sense. The Barkstopper pretty much goes off whenever the beast is barking, but it's hardly a 1-to-1 correlation. That's a little more sophistication than I was looking for, but if it's doable within reason, why not? My problem is I don't have the electronics knowledge to get there. I actually started into an EE course out of HS, but did not get very far before changing course.

Reply to
Rex B

LOL!! (Don't I wish!)

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

"Sunworshipper" wrote

I can't hear much over probably 18mhz, but my wife (the musical person) can hear well over 20mhz. I suspect a 20mhz sound cannon will drive the nighbor nutz, and you won't hear it :)

I'm just about there. Did I mention their teenage kids hold loud parties in the detached garage, right next to their neighbor's bedroom window? They aren't making friends here. Now that I think of it, that "sound cannon" I envision could break up the parties early. I expect a teenage girl isn't as much fun with her hands over her ears. Maybe I'll need to make 2 ;)

Reply to
Rex B

I do check it regularly, but haven't in about a week. It has an audible mode that is just into my audible range (very high squeal) and I set it there periodically (dog snarling and generally going nuts 10 feet away) just to see if it's responding. Then I switch it back to ultrasonic. Neither seems to bother the dog much now, though at first I think it did.

Reply to
Rex B

"Bill P" wrote

Hair spray will kill a dog? Never heard of that. Problem with the 3 S method is I'd have to climb the fence to retrieve the carcass. Twice the dog has escaped and come into my yard, snarling at the wife. But I missed both those opportunities.

Reply to
Rex B

"Old Nick" wrote

That sounds reasonable. I'll go to Radio Shack on my lunch hour.

In my case it's not a hunger motivation, but a territorial thing, so my chances of success may be higher.

I have a quick temper, and all indications are they are inconsiderate morons. I guess I'm predisposed to be confrontational on this, so have avoided it.

That's probably the way to go. I had hoped to run into them at a neighborhood gathering where I could broach the subject in a public setting. I'll also look into the legal aspects. I do know they are in violation of the deed restrictions that require a dog enclosure to be no closer than 15 feet from the property line, but I bet that's a civil matter.

Reply to
Rex B

That's interesting. I'll add that to the list.

Thanks

Reply to
Rex B

"Gunner" wrote

Damn! I like the way you think LOL

Did I ever tell you about the time my friend Harold cured the neighbor's cat from pissing on his chrome wheels?

Reply to
Rex B

That sounds like a practical setup. Maybe with a driver transistor in between the two. Problem is, Rex B seems a mite timid about electronic tinkering.

Or right at the fenceline where he charges up to play brave watchdog.

Another setup I've heard of is a tape recorder with a tape loop recording of the dog barking. Set up close to the fence it excites him into barking in answer to this challenge so long and hysterically he gets laryngitis or drives his owner nuts or both.

Reply to
John Ings

Not so much timid as lacking the knowledge. Plus, I have plenty of projects that I'd rather be tinkering with. I'd love to be able to buy a big tweeter horn, a signal generator, and an amp and be able to plug and play.

Interesting, but it adds noises. And the barking takes place closer to my house than to the owner's house.

Thanks

Reply to
Rex B

Someone suggested a triple-nickle oscillator and a power transistor. That setup driving a Piezo horn such as Old Nick is suggesting might be within your capabilities. Radio Shack sells little booklets on electronics basics as well as the components. One on 555 circuits and one on audio amplifiers should do you.

Reply to
John Ings

Building an electronic power oscillator is simple enough, but it's hard to find speakers that can handle serious ultrasonic power. Most tweeters are rated for "program power", and there isn't much ultrasound in most audio program material.

If you have a lathe and compressed air, you could make a Galton whistle. These simple devices can produce extremely intense ultrasound. I have articles on this and other similar devices somewhere. You can see a photo of one at

Just putting the whistle in a coffee can about 0.3" (half wavelength) from the back would provide fairly good directivity, probably a beamwidth of about 10 degrees. That would be fairly easy to aim and could result in sound pressure levels well in excess of 100 dB downrange.

If presented with a blinding headache with each yap, I think the dog might learn much faster than its owner has.

I scrounged a DirecTV satellite dish and was builiding a whistle when my 300-foot distant neighbor with the yappy dog moved away so I didn't have to finish the project. That worked out well!

Reply to
Don Foreman

This whistle is sold at Sargent-Welch for $10.90. Item WL3332D.

Ignoramus25901

"Don Foreman" wrote

That sounds promising. I'll research that - Thanks.

So what would that have been like? Use the parabolic reflector to focus the incoming sound, or the outgoing?

Reply to
Rex B

Oh no? Try "Callate su pinche perro". It'll get the message across... Bill

Reply to
Bill P

I looked at my old stuff. It was a Hartmann whistle rather than a Galton, but they're similar. The Hartmann supposedly can produce

160 dB sound presssure level at 20 to 25 KHz. 120 dB is the threshold of pain in humans, don't know about dogs.
Reply to
Don Foreman