OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

I have a new neighbor behind me, who has transformed our quiet area into a noisy one. The primary culprit is a miniture pinscher that barks constantly whenever anyone is in sight. Our lots are 1 acre or larger, but all I have to do is step out my backdoor and that shrill bark is a constant until a few minutes after I get out of sight. I bought one of those ultrasonic Bark-Stoppers, but it doesn't seem to bother it much, although it did at first. I think that's a good idea, but needs a LOT more power. Any idea where I could get a high-power ultrasonic noise generator? Or what I would need in order to build one? I'm no EE, but I can solder 2 wires together. The other possiblity is a board fence along the property line. Thought about planting a line of bamboo along the fence ;) And of course I'd shoot the SOB (and I get strong temptations), but it's really the owner that's the problem. They have a "So what?" attitude about "my" problem. Besides, it's illegal. And I'm in the county, so there is no city ordinance.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Rex B

Over in misc.rural, there's a saying about the "3 S's". Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup. "Nope, haven't seen your dog."

Dave "Used to have 30 acres and a backhoe, but sold the backhoe" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You just need an amplifier for the one you've got. Try one of those hand-held electronic megaphones.

Reply to
John Ings

How about a "something" that makes it bark around 2 AM?

Reply to
edard

Won't work, the megaphone doesn't have the bandwidth.

However, big speakers with rap music or spotlights aimed at the house might annoy the owner to comply.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
yourname

Nothing an anti freeze saturated bisquit won't cure.

Reply to
Huey Conway

While dogs can hear up to 45K, there's no need to go that high. Really all you need to do is get above the range of human hearing. Say 24K or so.

Got any specs on handheld megaphone bandwidth?

Reply to
John Ings

Frequency response of a hand-held megaphone is unlikely to go above the 20KHz or above that the noise generator puts out.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I considered something like that, but I don't want to offend the good neighbors while dealing with the bad.

I do have my pellet gun sighted in at exactly the right distance, but have held off so far.

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

Rex

I once solved a problem like yours by placing a radio near where my neighbors could hear it. The dog barked, and I switched on the extension cord that connected to the radio. I was lucky and my neighbors decided to control their dog. If you are willing to invest money it could be easy to fabricate a device that automatically energizes a high frequency - high intensity speaker that is activated by the sound of a dog's voice. You and I couldnt hear it, but the dog will experience discomfort shortly after it barks.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Poison is a coward's approach. And fix your quoting string.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Why not make friends with the dog? Get yourself a couple of boxes of milk bones and co-opt the little bugger. When I was a kid I used to walk by a towing yard that had a mean old junk yard dog. I would swing by the do-nut shop and grab a handful of the previous days offerings out of the dumpster. after several days of this the dog would sit and watch me coming wagging his tail.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Now you're talking! I'll follow this thread.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Reply to
SteveB

I would google and investigate a higher powered squealer that is beyond the range of human hearing. Look under "ultrasonic deer repeller" or "ultrasonic repeller." I found hundreds. Some are motion activated, and you wouldn't even have to be there. This would keep the dog AWAY from even the fence on your side.

Only the dog would hear it. Fix it to the fence inconspicuously on YOUR side, and aim it through the fence. Set the thing at the level of the dog.

I would imagine that if you secured the right frequency and high output, you could make that little bugger curl up in pain.

A few times oughta do it. Check with Radio Shack, or a local electronics geek and see if they would have any ideas. They always love little projects like this.

Keep us posted.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

snip, snip.

I wrote and suggested buying a deer repeller. Upon further reading in Google, I discovered a thread about four articles down where people were commenting that the deer repellers didn't work that well. They suggested one from Austrailia.

You would be into that about $100. I would suggest that you investigate the Radio Shack idea. I have seen those megaphone speakers at yard sales about the size of a coffee can. The ones used for car alarms, etc. They go for about a buck. A simple electronic squealer you could get at Radio Shack hooked up to that would put out quite a blast, hopefully silent to humans. You would be into it a lot le$$. But even if you COULD hear it, you can always parrot the neighbor and say, "What noise? I didn't hear anything."

This is about altering the dog's behavior. If he knows he barks at someone walking up and gets blasted, he will stop barking at approaching people.

And if not, at least you will be getting even about him assaulting YOUR ears.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You know, an ultrasonic device at the focal point of a parabolic microphone (replace the mic with the speaker) would give a _very_ directional signal. Aim it at Barky, hit it, and see how it goes.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

feed the little bugger some manwich a couple of times right before the owners let him in the house for the evening,

then after he likes your snacks feed him some manwich with exlax ,

if he is out all night , get yourself a remote controlled any thing and start running it around at all the ungodliest hours

people don't keep pets that are a pain in the ass

sorry that's not true according to my wife

Reply to
williamhenry