OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

Hartmann whistle article in .jpg form at:

About 1 meg alltogether. I'll leave it up for a few days.

Reply to
Don Foreman

If the system has pll tuning you can probably drift the sig gen down until you are on the frequency of an opera or country music program before securing it.

Reply to
bamboo

You'll find it at

That doesn't sound promising -- but the whistle may produce considerably more than 120 dB.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Just drop it off at a Vietnamese restaurant ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

My neighbor bought the thing herself because she had some sense of responsibility. It doesn't sound like your neighbor is so encumbered.

Reply to
Peter Grey

Reply to
Rex B

I could do that on my way to work. It's like Little Saigon in this section of Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

He seems to be a simple sort of fellow, yes.

Reply to
Rex B

If the dog is persistent, and the water trick doesn't work, buy some Binaca breath spray and squirt it at (not up!) his nose instead of using a water bottle. Still not toxic to him, but it'll shut it up for awhile. The scent is too strong for a dog to stand.

Reply to
Xane T.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:12:07 -0600, "Rex B" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

JUst BTW. You are approaching one of those records threads for length. As usual OT (not complaining here).

I also have to say that it has to be one of the longest threads EVER without any sign of bickering! Amazing.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:32:11 -0600, "Rex B" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Something about "dB". the reading is meaningless (and often misleading) if a measuring distance is not also given. The _standard_ as I know it is one foot, maybe one yard and in our mteric world, one metre. Because sound pressure (SPL) drops off so fast with distance, unless the unit is _very_ good at directing it as described in this thread, "120 dB" at 1 foot could be 100 dB or less at 1 yard, without doing any math (it is NYD). So they tell you it's 120dB but forget to mention they had the sensor stuffed in the unit's throat.

As I said before, even at 10' the dog will be getting a very small proportion of the available sound. It also sounds like it has a real, ingrained problem.

You could try the spotlight reflector or antenna dish ideas. They would make a huge difference.

Reply to
Old Nick

Ever hear of a large capacity magazine? Ever wonder why they were invented?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Right. Radio Shack (and the mfr they use) spec their piezo tweeters at 18 inches, or at least did at one time. (The more common standard is 1 meter.) If the reference is 120 dB at 18 inches it would be down by 16.5 dB to 103.5 dB at 10 ft.

But, I think the dogbark guys are indeed taking their reading right at the mouth of the horn to get 120 dB, Using the specs from Radio Shack (originally from Motorola and now by whomever bought their piezo business), and scaling for being driven at a level I've found they start getting warm (about 32 volts peak-to-peak), I figure the level would be about 80 dB at 10 feet.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The dog might beat you back home! - Some dogs have been reported to come home when left or gotten out of a car while on a trip. The longest that I heard of was over 2000 miles. Dog was in good shape, took months and likely it grew many versions of pads for the feet.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:32:00 -0600, Don Foreman vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Which is to say no more than an unpleasant curiosity to the dog :-<

Reply to
Old Nick

Thanks, Don, might make one for my boat.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

How about "Ride of the Valkiries"? Betch those sort of people don't like that kinda music at any level.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I just used raw hamburger and ground up Dr. Pepper bottle.

Huey C> One half pound pack of ground meat,

Reply to
Mac

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:23:17 GMT, Ted Edwards calmly ranted:

And I for my not-quite-remote-enough neighbor's yard rat.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This might be a more practical approach.......

or......

At 175 dB it should certainly turn a bark into a whimper...lol. Might have to experiment myself on our neighbours stupid mutt.

Similar items may even be available on the surplus market from the likes of breweries and bottling plants.

Reply to
Larry Green