OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:20:23 -0600, "Rex B" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

The Bark stopper is just about all that. As I said, replace the existing speaker with a bigger horn. With the afforementioned caveats. I still question whether it will work long term.

The tape recorder idea is not bad. You can get little digital ones now for bu..next to nothing for that matter. They can probably loop by the press of a button. I know it adds to noise, but this may need a bit of short term pain for long term gain.

You would not need a loud sound, or good quality, I would think. It only has to set the dog off. Some dogs bark at any sound.

Just one thing. There are ngs dealing with dog behaviour. Avoid them. I went there asking for some help. The place was full of nutters. Real interesting folk

In the the extreme case, that poor woman who was ripped open for her foetus was all tied up on a dog networking thing.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:30:30 -0600, Don Foreman vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I built an oscillator that put out about a 18-20V square wave, and ran a piezo horn tweeter from that at 23Khz. The tweeter was designed to accept 25V RMS IIRC.

I measured, IIRC, about 128 dB at 1 metre with a pro level (borrowed!) DB meter that had 40Khz capability.

Still did not scare the roos for more than a little while.....:-<

Reply to
Old Nick

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:37:18 -0600, "Rex B" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

AH! Now if the dog has escaped and come into your yard, especially if it has threatened anybody, then go to the council, preferably with proof, such as video or photos if it comes in again. The whole council legal situation changes. They will probably only warn a couple of times, but it starts the ball rolling.

The other (braver, but it's only a miniature) is to actually have it bite you in your yard, or anywhere outside theirs. Then you are well into legal territory, especially if it draws any blood, in just about any city I have lived in. They even get to pay for the rabies and tetanus shots!

Reply to
Old Nick

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! close enough....... Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Don, If you don't mind going to the trouble, I'd like to read that. You can email it to me (remove the obvious).

As for the sound level, the Bark Stopper unit I bought supposedly puts out

120 db. Doesn't seem to phase this hound, at a range of ~10-ft.

Thanks

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

Line it with foil, shine a light on it, see where it focuses? I guess you would mount the whistle so the output point is at the focal point, directed toward the dish surface?

I agree, don't know that I'd go to the trouble of doing the dish, though I do have a spare.

Have lathe, need a project. I can get comressed air to that area fairly easily. Sounds like a good one.

LOL That would be good, but these people just got here and look to be settling in for the long haul.

Reply to
Rex B

Subject: Re: OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

Have had this problem over the 60 some years with somebody always. The Policeman next door always seemed to get the "job done" by tossing a couple bacon grease laden sponges in the pen or across the fence!

The offending dog just lapped it up until it got into its throat and the sponge got stuck and it blocked its "noise making capability". I don't condone hurting animals, but it sure tries may patience when said cops menagerie of hound dogs gets bellering! But alas he was removed from uniform by shooting himself with a protective vest on! Now he can't stand his own dogs! Nuff said!

Jim

Reply to
XPRTEC

Can it be made to be adjustable? If so, you could start at an audible freq and twist it till the pained expression leaves your (SO, daughter etc)s face. Then it would be just right :)

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

Wow, great site! Wish I'd seen that before I paid $60 for Mr. Bark Stopper(not) Some of those look like they would cause ear bleeding, which would be perfect ;)

Reply to
Rex B

"bw"

The wife suggested the pooch might like a long ride to the far side of town.

Reply to
Rex B

LOL "Your Dog has been returned to your yard"

Reply to
Rex B

Make a compressed air slide whistle with say a length of 3/8 tubing and a smaller size tube with a closed end that will just fit inside. Adjust to the pained expression on the DOG'S face!

Reply to
John Ings

There's another type of collar that my neighbor uses on her dog. The dog used to bark incessantly when the neighbor was at work. In response to my complaints and at the suggestion of her vet, she bought a collar that shoots a small stream of harmless-but-annoying citrus-based (?) fluid at the dog's snout whenever it barks.

It's worked wonders. That dog NEVER barks when the collar is used. Of course, one needs to have a neighbor that's interested in solving the problem in order for this to work...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

That's interesting. I still have a problem paying my money for something the neighbor should be doing. I guess I ought to get over that, but at least I get to keep what I use on my side of the fenced.

Reply to
Rex B

I had no idea this thread would go on this long, but it's been darned interesting. This is a sharp bunch, with a lot of ingenious suggestions. Don, I like the last whistle suggestion, please do send, or post, the scan of that article. And thanks to all for your contributions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

Right, that's why I suggested starting with a parabolic microphone. You already would have the mounting hardware pointing the element to the right spot, just replace the mic with your driver.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:54:43 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

You can tell I used to live in LoCal, huh? I picked up a bit of essential Spanish the brief time (35 years) I was there.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well.... As you know, it's illegal to interfere with communications, so I wouldn't know anyone who has done this- There is a phenomenon known as FM quieting. The strongest signal on the frequency will "take over". Say an unmodulated signal (like from a signal generator) broadcasts at the the same frequency as the TV sound channel. The TV will be silent. One shudders to think what might happen if this property were used by the wrong people. As a hypothetical case, let us assume a jerk of a neighbor that buys a new sound system and uses it to blast disco at all hours. One might tune a signal generator to the frequency of the offending station and use a piece of wire as an antenna (you are close, you don't need much signal). One might wait for the mighty thump of sound, pause a few seconds, and turn on the signal generator. The radio will fall silent. Listen for muffled curses beyond the wall. Turn the signal generator off. The disco will resume. Practice the length and spacing of the silent passages to get the best effect.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Yes, they are adjustable, at least to a point. You could also "tune" at reduced air pressure because air pressure reportedly doesn't affect frequency, only power output.

Reply to
Don Foreman