OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:49:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@now.com (Huey Conway) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I really, really hope you are joking.

Reply to
Old Nick

Unfortunately not.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

On 1 Jan 2005 20:43:54 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I still feel that you can stop a dog barking by training it, either with kindness or _ultrasonic_ noise. I do feel that any _obvious_ actions will cause trouble in many situations.

Going as a group and even going to the authorities and/or court will _not_ avoid repercussions from the neighbour. You may well simply put in a lot of money and angst AND LOSE. DAMHIKT.

It will also not solve the problem unless the dog (or the neighbour) is removed by force in many cases. The neighbour is probably not going to give a rat's arse about requests, reasoning, warnings etc, for more than ten minutes at a stretch.

The dog is not the _cause_ of the problem. but it may well be the safest start to solving it. Just do it either nicely or without alerting the neighbour.

Apart from the gaol time, I feel that the suggestions to do anything harmful to to dog are absolutely awful, hateful though the little bugger may seem. It may be scared, bored, or territorial.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:18:23 -0500, Larry Green calmly ranted:

I wonder how far ultrasound carries. This particular barker is about

1/4 mile away, across a field, but the damned bark carries through the dual-glazed windows at that distance every night when I lay down to start reading and every morning at breakfast (for an hour each time. Why won't that damned dog go HOARSE?) Methinks what we need here are canine-vocal-chord-eating nannites.

They probably spent thousands on those and I doubt I could afford one, but it's worth looking into.

changed to "speaker" from "transducer", which had produced more of the "baby viewer" type of xducer. The first link, a PPT, loooks interesting and has some more links (Update: most are dead.)

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:51:08 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

Yeah, I've found over the years that appealing to the neighbors is absolutely a no-win situation. My last place was next to a set of apartments where nobody gave a shit about anyone else and couldn't care less about their dog making noise when they weren't home. Both the apt. manager and owner were stymied since to allow one dog meant allowing ALL dogs. Some of the units had been purchased as condos so they had the right to own pets. It still didn't improve when the manager started charging additional pre-movein $400 pet cleaning fees before allowing pets and having the owners sign a no-noise clause. And for those caught infringing, the law gave them as long as 6 months to be evicted. That means nobody sleept until they're gone, and there was always one or more in that damned building.

Yeah, maybe a subsonic transducer is in order here. The neighbor would be wondering why he threw up every time the dog barked... I like that even better. Y'think the Navy would loan out a ULF array for a month or so?

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

TMT, I don't usually do this (quote a comment in its entirety) but in this case I shall - simply because it is hands-down the best comment about the unfortunate situation that has been put up here. You are a very wise man, and anyone in a situation like this would be smart to read your post fully and follow the advice therein.

I have been blessed over the years with very friendly neighbors for the most part. The one or two times that friction happened, we were sure to allow the local police to talk to the troublemakers, and to not ever let it get to a feud state or try to take matters into our own hands.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Sometimes, destroying the dog makes a lot of sense, but not for barking. When my sons were toddlers, the neighbors (rural, about 100 yards away) got divorced. The man moved into town with his boys and stayed with his mom. He abandoned a bitch and six pups. About once a month or so, he'd come by and drop off some food. In about six months, we had a pack roaming the area, killing pets, and threatening grownups on bicycles, etc. I contacted the county numerous times about the problem, but they were unable to catch the dogs. An officer finally told me, that he couldn't suggest it, but if it were him, he'd shoot them.

The next morning, after everyone left for work, I waded into them with shotgun and .357. I only got two before the rest were over the horizon, never to be seen again. My sons were not attacked, no more bicyclists were threatened and chased, and no more pets were lost.

The neighbor and his sons finally moved back in. The dogs were never mentioned, and we got along fine.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

That's a different story.

In our city there's an animal control officer so there are no feral dogs. There aren't even any dogs that roam free, packs or otherwise.

In your case, where your kids are at risk and the officials cannot or will not take action, there's only one thing to do, and you did it.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Atmospheric absorption depends a lot on frequency and humidity, but a fairly good ballpark number is 0.25 dB/meter at 20 KHz, which would be about 7.5 dB per 100 feet. Note that this is absorption, in addition to geometric spreading which loses 6 dB for every doubling of range above the reference distance.

Because absorption does depend strongly on frequency, the dog's bark is attenuated significantly less than ultrasound would be over 1/4 mile. On the other hand, ultrasound can be focussed into a beam where the dogbark is essentially omnidirectional. Focussing sound from an omnidirectional source into a 10-degree beam would intensify it by 27 dB!

Reply to
Don Foreman

What was the music they played AT the vietcongs in APACALYPSE NOW ? Something like Valkyries....

You might consider several hundred watts of that. But mix in the frequencies that make the dog either go apeshit crazy or make them whimper and cringe as they are looking for someplace to hide.

Just a thought

Reply to
Roger

For us cityfolk who doan unnerstann tekknikul terms, I bet that 27 deebees is simply a shitload !

And loud, too.

Reply to
Roger

I ride my bicycle for exercize several times a week. I do this for my own good health and learned very quickly that I have to go armed. I carry 2 guns with me. One is a squirt gun filled with very soapy water. When the dogs chase me (as they ALWAYS do) I squirt them in the face. When it gets in their eyes, they stop, PDQ.

I visited a neighbor last summer and as he went inside and I was about to ride my bike back home, another neighbor came by and pulled into his lane. She mistook me for him and offered a greeting. I explained that I live OVER THERE and I'm not the fella who lives at THIS house. She said that she lives "over there in that yellow house". She offered that she is a (JW or 7DA) and invited me to her church. My comment was that so those dogs are YOURS ? "Yes". So then I explained that they chase me every time I ride past. But I'm not worried, since I squirt them with my soapy water but if they happen to bite me, I'll simply stop my bike and KILL it with my 45. And I pointed to it on my hip. Her eyes got kinda big and she left very quickly. I was not chased by them for a long time.

BTW, I live out in the country and know that many people have a dog. Sometimes several. I understand this but I think it is my right to go out without fear of being chewed up by ravaging aminals.

I practice lots with my piece.

Reply to
Roger

1/4 mile is only 440 yds, a measly .223 carries that far easily.
Reply to
Nick Hull

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:56:04 -0600, Don Foreman calmly ranted:

Shucks. Bad news.

So the most effective targeting of this particular mutt would be to aim a SuperDuperBionicEar (etc.) to pinpoint it, then replace the mic with an xducer IF I couldn't get closer. Hmmm...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 05:50:52 -0800, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

hmp-hmp ...love it! The image gave me a good chuckle.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:54:16 -0500, Peter T. Keillor III vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

No. Only two pu...oh sorry.....I read the rest of the story.

Reply to
Old Nick

On 2 Jan 2005 11:40:55 -0800, jim rozen vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I might also add that if my neighbour waded into some dogs with a shotgun and a .357, _no matter how justified_ (and I have had occasion to do something similar) I would take this as a strong message.

Any retaliation that could top that would be very serious action!

So basically Rex B., either do it sneaky, or do it nicely, or do it BLOODY THOROUGHLY! None of this sissy poisonig shit. Let the _owner_ know what you are about. Easier on the dog, too

Sorry. Still feel that the bark stopper of befriending the dog are the first tries.

Reply to
Old Nick

Appropriately sized cat?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:15:31 +0000, Roger vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sudden childhood memory. My Old Man had an Old Car. When you took your foot off the accelerator pedal, then suddenly tramped it again the car would backfire, as well as any I have _ever_ heard. the muffler was just bad enough to give that realy lud, flat crack, without being a boom, or muffling it too much.

So when a dog chased the car, there was a simple and effective solution. I know it didn't do the muffler, valves etc much good, but we didn't have to do it for long.

Reply to
Old Nick

Well..........27 dB as a measurement of sound pressure levels (SPL)is pretty quiet, but, an *increase* of 27 dB (i.e. gain) of an existing level is substantial.

This page shows 'relative loudness' for common items.....

.......but basically (again IIRC as I am a bit rusty on this) an increase of 3 dB is an effective doubling of the 'perceived' volume.

For humans the 'normal' rating for the pain threshold is 120 dB above silence but damage can be done to the ears at a much lower level if exposure is prolonged.

Reply to
Larry Green