OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

Hee hee......that brought back a long forgotten memory for me. I used to ride motorcycles when I still lived in England many moons ago and being a 'bull headed' teenager swapped the 'silencers' on my MC to straight through bells just because they were noisy!

On this particular day I was almost home when a black Lab came tearing out of a front garden and kept pace with me on the walkway, then suddenly shot out between two parked cars directly behind me. I snapped the throttle shut and touched the brakes and waited until I saw his nose about to disappear up the end of the pipe and then pulled in the clutch and end stopped the throttle......lol.

He certainly didn't appreciate 130+ dB plus hot gases full in the face and his yelp could be heard above the din I was making even with a full-face lid on!

Every time that dog saw me after that it would tuck it's tail between it's legs and scoot home as if the devil was after it.....lol.

I didn't keep those pipes on long as I soon discovered it was far better to do 90 MPH and sound like you were doing 30 instead of doing 30 MPH and sounding like you were doing 90!

Reply to
Larry Green

Or a 55gr XTP at 3200 FPS.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

A certain dog used to hide behind the gatepost until a car came down the gravel road. One night, as he started his charge from the left, I touched the brake, swung the door open and floored it. The next time I came by, the dog hit the brakes so hard he did three somersaults on the shoulder of the road. Another trick years ago was to tie a burlap sack to the spokes and drive slow enough for the dog to get a good grip. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

C'mon Nick, I know you better than that. You could fix a half-dozen-dog problem even with a Klinton-Short magazine.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So I need to cripple him before I let him out of the car?

Reply to
Rex B

27 dB is a power gain of about 500.
Reply to
Don Foreman

Not if you double-tap ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Or Zimbabwe even. Sorry, should have considered that. Carry on.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:12:01 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

Anything at 800 fps or better would do 'er, eh? How about a drug in the owner's beer which makes him hear 10x better/louder? His own dog would then drive him crazy and he'd get rid of it.

and then I woke up.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:50:33 GMT, Ted Edwards calmly ranted:

I can't hurl a cat 1/4 mile, either, Tedward. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I dunno, Larry..... Depends on how ya go about "hurling"! ~8OP

Bill

Reply to
Bill P

At least hobble so you won't run over it later on the way home. :-) Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

More ideas. Go to the pound and find an identical twin to your adversary. Make sure he has a strong bark. Put your new dog in your yard and make sure he is annoyed a lot by your neighbors.

Another idea. Make a life-sized fake dog similar in appearance to your adversary. Make a noose and hang-em high enough to be in plain sight of the owners.

Reply to
bw

Cat- A- Pult?

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human interaction." John Husvar

Reply to
Gunner

Sounds....

Cat-a-strophic.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:59:12 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

As the largest Pussycat Keeper of Kalifornia, you oughta know, eh? If I had a treb that large, I'd send the dog (and owner) nice gifts such as logs, boulders, dead animals, etc. to play with.

I adore the first sentence in that sig and the rest ain't bad. ;) Ironic humor is my favorite.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 00:56:14 -0600, "bw" calmly ranted:

Perhaps someone should take you out in the woods and leave YOU, bw. If you thought the problem was bad from a block away, imagine how loud the barker would be right next to your house. Dumb idea. Your neighbors would hate you more than the original nuisance.

Instead, put the cage in your yard and trap the dog. Take pictures of both dog and cage on YOUR property for legal backing. Once trapped, take the dog to the pound, show them the bites it gave you, and ask that it be put to sleep immediately after rabies testing. Make sure the owner gets a hefty fine for it, too, and pays for everything.

Who will take a picture to show the authorities when one of your other neighbors kills the damned nuisance, eh? No, threats only endanger you and give the neighbor ammo. It's best to avoid that.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL I like the way you think.

Reply to
Rex B

Hmmm - a performance piece: "Broadcast Tribute Concert to John Cage."

sounds good.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I used to ride my motorcycle out to visit a friend in a semi-rural area -- barely paved road, long dirt driveways, drainage ditch alongside the road, etc. A small dog used to race out and chase me as I was slowing down for my friend's house, just up the road. One day I slowed down a bit more than usual and the dog wound up running right alongside me. I reached out with my booted foot, hooked it under the dog's midsection, then lofted the mutt into the (very wet and muddy) drainage ditch! It was a long time before it bothered anyone again.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie