OT Dealing with a nuisance dog

It would focus the ultrasound from a whistle into a focussed beam, resulting in much higher sound pressure level at a distant point. The wavelength of 22 KHz sound is about 0.6 inches while Ku band satellite signals have a wavelength of about 1 inch -- so this dish would be highly directional with ultrasound. The beamwidth would (theoretically) be about one degree, making a "spot" of about 21" dia at 100 feet.

It might be a little tricky finding the focal point of a dish, though. A simple horn would probably work just fine and it'd be easy to make.

Another possibility might be the reflector from a large flashlight/lantern. A 6" dia parabolic reflector would have a beamwidth of about 6 degrees and it'd be a lot easier to work with. Neat thing about Hartmann whistles is that they are quite small at ultrasonic frequencies, and cost about nothing to make on a lathe.

Please keep us posted if you do this. I never did. Started to twice and the offending dog and owners moved both times. Maybe you don't actually have to build it, just start to and they'll move!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reference for Hartmann whistle: Ultrasonic Engineering (With Particular Reference To High Power Applications), Crawford, Alan E: Butterworths Scientific Publications, London 1955 pp 115-121. There are some design equations.

I'll scan it if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Don Foreman

ROFLMAO!

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

I'd be glad to design it if you'd like to go that way, but those piezo horns won't produce nearly the level of ultrasound that you'd get with a compressed air whistle.

The amp needn't be an audio amp; a couple of MOSFET's driven by a

555 running off of a 12-volt battery would work fine. That's about all those piezo tweeters can take anyway. A compression horn or ribbbon tweeter can take more, but they're pricey -- and the elex would be more complex because you'd need a DC power supply of around 20 volts to deliver any appreciable power to an 8-ohm tweeter.

Another advantage to a whistle is that it is so small it would work nicely in a parabolic reflector. The result is much higher sound pressure level downrange because the sound is "focussed".

Those cheap spun aluminum light fixtures aren't good paraboloids, but they might work far better than nothing.

It looks like the whistle could be made out of 1/4" brass rod if you have a lathe.

Reply to
Don Foreman

They seem to be fond of cooking

Hmm. Broadcast or cable?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Hey that's a thought! You'd need a microphone and an oscilloscope to be sure you had the right frequency tho...

Reply to
John Ings

Get ultrasonic blaster @

it with a security light IR motion sensor (Home Depot)

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Thanks , noted for possible future use. LOL, but that's not exactly the way I was thinking. My sis had a dog long ago that she named Pinche Perra and she told me that one time she was looking for the dog and going through a neighborhood calling its name and people where giving her dirty looks, like no wonder why your dog ran away.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

It comes into your yard?? That makes it easy. Just put a suitable trap on your side of the line. When it gets caught its your dog to do with as you please.

Reply to
bw

Maybe rent a "professional". Do you have a cousin named Guido?

Reply to
bw

For a good paraboloid, use a discarded satellite antenna; plus point is that there's already a mount to hold the whistle at the focus point. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:47:30 -0800, "SteveB" calmly ranted:

Right, outside where every one of their neighbors can enjoy it barking hour after hour after hour. A barking dog should be a legal reason for either/or homicide/petocide, don't you think?

So you got rid of the bitch (and her dog?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:32:23 -0600, "Rex B" calmly ranted:

It's time to think a bit more evilly than that, Rex. But don't get caught.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dog-a-pult? Nah, I shouldn't add to the dog murdering suggestions....

Reply to
B.B.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:13:34 -0800, Sunworshipper calmly ranted:

Complete with sprinklers which go on (accidentally watering the neighbor's yard, too) as the party starts and go off when the party ends? Bueno.

Try "Calma Su Chingando Perro Ahorita!" Close enough, eh?

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:42:50 -0600, Don Foreman calmly ranted:

Please do.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This has been an outstanding thread. I might have to try some of the suggestions.

How can you be so lucky that you only have to listen to one dog. Our neighbors directly across the road from us have at least a half-dozen! They bark constantly during the day while the both of them are at work.

On weekends when the dogs are out and barking, the neighbors get annoyed with them and are constantly yelling at the mutts to shut up. I wonder if it has ever occured to them that we might also be annoyed. I don't go away in the daytime so I have to listen to the din constantly.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

I think it's a shame that the neighbors are behaving badly. Their dog is not the issue, it is the people who need to be corrected. I would not try to shoot the dog, that would be wrong.

My approach to this would be to invest in a large powerful sound system, and whenever the dog is barking I would play music to accompany him. Probably Frank Sinatra or maybe Bob Wills. I would do this at pain threashold levels.

Rudeness begats rudeness.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Friend named her car "Puta Betty" - it was only after her money.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:09:11 -0800, John Ings vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

OK. I have never seen one with a siren. 3Khz is actually quite a high sound, but OK, 3KHz-7Khz.

Anyway, none of them would bother getting up to ultrasonic IMO. It's just wasted bandwidth from a limited power source.

Reply to
Old Nick