OT - Hi Res Photos of Earthquake Damage in Japan

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25. At least it wasn't a nuclear one. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yeah. Thank God. Then it would look like this. LOL

John R. Carroll

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, I lived downwind from SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generation Station) for 35 years. It's right on the beach in California.

probably got a few waves today.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The paving machine was 1/2 as wide as the road and made a seam down the middle?

A pilot friend of mine tells me that in an event like that nothing in the air is allowed to land (unless there is insufficient fuel on board) and anything on the ground is sent up asap. However this still doesn't explain how all the planes on the ground at the time escaped damage (if they all indeed did). He flies cargo out of Miami FL and prior to a hurricane everything is sent well out of reach of it. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I was up watching the thing unfold on the TeeVee last night and the announcer kept emphasizing that none of their nuclear plants suffered any damage at all.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I once saw a video of a boneyard airplane being catapulted into one of those containment vessels, and the airplane sort of splashed and left an airplane-shaped stain on the surface of the concrete. They're built to contain a whole meltdown - one of those could probably survive going off a cliff in a landslide and not leak.

But, there's no getting through the paranoia of the NIMBYs. They're a lot like the warmingists, that way.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm guessing it's because it was a subduction fault.

They pour them in two pieces, and that's where the seam was.

Maybe they'd been washed away? I have no real guesses on this one.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Check the video on the right of the airport flooding.

A meltdown is possible. Two nuclear plants lost cooling.
Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

The surge of water hitting the shelf and underwater terrain. This causes them a lot.

The way most roads are laid up and paved leaves a main seam down the center.

Any time there is a quake/tremor they try to get anything on the ground in the air because it's safer that way.

Reply to
Steve W.

The pictures of the major damage have been from more or less one region of Japan.

Reply to
Steve W.

Oh, and the earth under it decided to follow suit. I see. Thanks, Art. ;^) How did the road builders find the fault and follow it exactly?

I guess everything with enough fuel to go to another airport was sent off as soon as the quake and tsunami warnings hit. It looked quite weird, though, didn't it? Did you see the video taken from the terminal? It looked very slow moving until it got right next to the camera and you could see it was moving past at 30+ mph.

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One picture I saw showed a number of light planes wadded up in a pile of debris along with cars, IIRC it was from Narita. With staff on hand, and given the expense of airliners, getting them off the ground would be a priority. The light planes, the owners probably couldn't get there in time. In that light, given they didn't have much warning before the tsunami hit, it's rather amazing they got all the big iron off the ground.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Well there's some NIMBYs saying "Told you so" this morning. I turned on the TV to catch the explosion of the containment building at one of those reactors.... They'd been been venting radioactive steam trying to avert such an explosion.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Oh, please! Did you see the pictures, Rich? One side of the street dropped 8' in a curving line exactly in the middle of the middle line. It wasn't just a split, it was a vertical shear, clean and neat. It's picture 21 in the series of 48.

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

See my reply to Rich, look at the referenced pic, and tell me if you still have that answer. :/

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Crack down to the subduction zone where magma will turn it to steam and thus they get a new volcano on top of it.

I took a second look at that, looks like new fill across a ravine. Maybe cracked there at the cold joint of the two fused asphalt and kinda like two band aids held at their ends and parallel and the resonation influenced the liquefied fill and split down hill of the ravine.

Took a double take of that picture of the cars and planes mixed like toys. I'd love to see the damage to the lower parts of the small private planes, that would be interesting.

Ever felt an earth quake? I felt the one in Hell Eh when the bridges smushed all those people. Was kinda like the wakes of boats when your swimming. NO, that was the second one, never mind. They seem unique from each other.

Wait till something slams into an ocean and it will clean out the whole area and go half way up all the mountains in the distance.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Yes, I saw the picture. It split on the seam because that's where the seam was; the roadbed was just dirt, after all, which didn't really care where the split was.

Of course, if you have another explanation, please be so kind as to enlighten us. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I'm going to stick with mine until you come up with a better one, rather than just naysaying.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise