OT - Hi Res Photos of Earthquake Damage in Japan

Then why a whirlpool instead of a steaming start to a mountain? NOGO

The seam in the middle of the road was exactly over the fill, no more and no less? BZZZZZZT! NOGO

Yeah, the private portion of the airport was hammered, as were all the parking areas. But there wasn't a single commercial jet on the field and they showed all those empty terminals, just hangin' out there. Eerie!

I grew up in California. What do you think? (I think the most I've felt was 4.5, pretty mellow.)

It might build up some heat coming through the atmosphere, too, so when it hits, it'll boil the first million gallons of sea water it hits, before making a gigantic tsunami. As it hits the floor of the ocean, it'll trigger global earthquakes, too. Bye bye mankind!

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No radiation release from Japanese nuclear plants: IAEA By: Agencies Date: 2011-03-12 Place: Vienna

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tokyo (CNN) -- A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors in northern Japan, an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told CNN Sunday.

"There is a possibility, we see the possibility of a meltdown," said Toshihiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, in a telephone interview from the agency's headquarters in Tokyo. "At this point, we have still not confirmed that there is an actual meltdown, but there is a possibility."

John R. Carroll

Gonna be difficult , how about Lake Peigneur salt mine drain hole? It will take a while for all that water to heat, wait for it... Probably eddy currents , wasn't there to see the whole spectacle.

Look again, ya can see even the tiny break down lane/foot path and the road are doing the same thing.

Anyone flying around at the time would have heard a earth quake alert on their radios and would have been the first to discover it coming ashore.

Sounds like your dirving at, that it was set up.

From the books I've been reading a lot are regional.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Thanks Larry, that's a great series of pics. My favorite is the one with the soldier carrying the old man.

I can't help but notice the difference between how the Japanese people are dealing with this crisis, compared to how the Haitians dealt with theirs. Or the people in Louisiana, for that matter.

As completely FUBAR as the situation is in Japan, I can't think of a more resilient and hardworking people than the Japanese.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Think what you like. I don't buy it for a second.

That, too, but I was amazed at no comm'l planes on the ground.

Huh?

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not my post, just a repost. Yeah, great pic of Hope, moving toward Safety.

Yeah, the US handling of that still shames us every time anyone else helps even one person in need during disaster, doesn't it?

Yes, they're fine examples of the good side of human nature, Jon.

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Have you ever flushed a toilet?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Once or twice. So, where's the tsunami's drain hole, sir? That said, look at the direction of spin. It's bassackwards for this hemisphere. ;)

-- Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate. --James Garfield

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course it was. Just like the 9 / 11 business in NYC. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Larry that is a "more or less" an "urban myth" . The way the swirl forms is many time more controlled by the shape of the area around the exit port. The Coriolis force is so weak it takes a well planned scientific experiment to demonstrate it. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Ya took the humor right out of it, Lew. Note the winking smily. Swirl direction is dictated by bowl hole direction, nothing more.

-- You create your opportunities by asking for them. -- Patty Hansen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They're adding new pics to the top of the page. The photo you're talking about is now #56. Doesn't make much sense to renumber everything whenever you add the next photo or 10.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Metalworking... I noticed the construction under the people on the top floor patio that looks untouched and all the derbies up a couple of stories. What are the vertical burnt orange things, is the whole building welded metal frame work like maybe scaffolding. Some of the buildings moved intact and some held back enormous amount of force and hardly look bent. Never noticed houses and roofs stay together so well. Like one picture with a house stuck under a bridge and dented the top just a bit. Screw and glue everything together? Wonder if some houses are built to 'float' on their foundations and some of the polar opposite philosophy of metal and bolted down.

I've been thinking of welding up a building since I saw a convenient store in Texas. The guy welded just about any steel around and made his own trusses. Just not sure how to transition to wood and how. Anyhow, I don't think American houses would pile all together and still be mostly intact.

Why can't we have cute mini vans here in America? I know where one could get a deal on some. I just want the body. We're encouraged to save gas , but only allowed to do so much. Those first Honda civics and the mini are mini so what's up with the restriction?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Most of the newer homes are very well built and set on floating piers due to the seismic activity in Japan.

The problem is that the average American won't fit in them. The interiors are designed for the average Japanese person who stands 5'5" or so tall. However some are imported here. Scion, Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan all have tiny cars available to the US market.

They do have domestic only models though that will not be exported to other countries.

Reply to
Steve W.

I agree it sounds completely far fetched but I haven't seen any other responses that are more plausable. Art

Reply to
Artemus