OT: HP Inkjet cartridges

What is the mechanism HP uses to detect a low ink level in the C65 and C66
series cartridges? I refill my cartridges until they quit working, but the
low level alarm never clears after a refill.
Randy
Reply to
Randal O'Brian
Try asking in comp.periphs.printers, you are more likely to get an answer there.
- Bob Headrick
Reply to
Bob Headrick
I have the instructions to reset those cartridges. ping me via email bridgerb cox net
Reply to
bridger
the biggest problem is Hiccup Placard--I have one too--will never buy another HP unit of any kind again. I have a 10 page(prox) dialogue with HP service personnell telling me how to eliminate the message---none of it works!!!
I finally got so piqqed off at the thing for taking 90 to 120 seconds to "think" before it would print an address from MS Word file. that I kicked the livin shxt out of it , which tore the input plug receptacle off the pc board inside it. now I'm back to the old lexmarque Z-11.
The end reason is MONEY!they want you to buy a $20 cartridge instead of filling it with 50cents worth of ink.
Randal O'Brian wrote:
Reply to
jerry Wass
HP Total Care tech support sucks big. I also have a dialogue with them about a problem which is still not solved. They answer with solutions to problems other than what I need addressed, ask for a jpg screenshot under 1meg in size, and when I send one of around 80k, they respond that it is too large a file for their software to open. They tell me again of the size limit. I sent it to myself to be certain. They should rename to Totally Useless. Printer works well, but probably the last HP anything I will get.
michael
Reply to
michael
I bought an HP all in one a little more than a year ago for the office. It randomly decides not to accept faxes, claiming a power failure interrupted transmission. The sender of the fax gets an acknowledgement as if it went through. I ended up buying a Brother laser business fax unit for $400, just because it looked like the best unit at Staples. I can't afford to miss faxes at work.
Reply to
ATP
And here I thought it was my printers. I bought a couple of HP3820 printers and while they print well (no complaints there) the thinkng about what to print is frustrating.
Paul in AJ AZ
Reply to
Pep674
try this site http://www.mister> What is the mechanism HP uses to detect a low ink level in the C65 and C66
Reply to
Machineman
NOW YOU TELL ME. after i kicked the sob into the middle of next week-- I, like countless others conversed w/HP for help and got the run-around-- we should post these words of wisdom on a computer talk site--mebby keep some other newby from being suckered by all the bells & whistles on their propietary software.
Mach> try this site
Reply to
jerry Wass
Anybody know how to "reset" the ink cartridges for a Neopost IJ25 postage meter?
It's really annoying me. Neopost rigs them so they "die" exactly nine months after the first date of use. Maybe that's no problem for a high volume mailer, but at our office's level of outgoing mail (about $200 worth of postage a month.) there's gobs of ink left in 'em when they switch off, never mind refilling. I've figgered it costs us about 3 cents for "ink" on each piece of mail we stamp.
I opened the last cartridge I replaced and found there was a branded HP inkjet cartridge inside Neopost's plastic carrier shell. But, there was also an IC chip alongside it which I'm guessing is the "poison pill".
Neopost charges me $70 for the damn things. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to think and ask about that when we signed a 3 year contract. It makes me yearn for my old Pitney Bowes postage meter with it's felt roller I could reink forever.
When I bitched to a Neopost customer service gal about that, she mumbled something about being told it was a Post Office requirement. ????
I told her that that kind of "Customer Service" was more like the kind of service a farmer takes his cows to a bull for; but she was too illiterate to get it.
Jeff
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
The way the HP system works is the cartridge has a unique serial identification ( coded in that chip) that the printer reads. The printer keeps track of the amount of ink used and compares it to the capacity of the cartridge (also coded in that chip) to determine the ink level. In your case it must also keep track of the first use date. The Hp printer can store in memory two color and two black cartridges. After that it must purge the memory of the first cartridge when a third is installed. Save your old cartridges to use for resetting purposes. After nine months when it refuses to print, try rotating in two old (or new) cartridges until they are recognized which usually takes less than a minute each. Hopefully, when you reinstall the old cartridge the postage meter will think it is a new cartridge and begin to function again. Keep in mind I don't know if this works on your postage meter, just HP printers so your mileage may very.
Reply to
tomcas
I dug a PaintJet XL300 out of the trash at work, and fooled around with it some. It turns out that the new HP cartridges for this model were redesigned to make refilling almost impossible. But, the amazing thing is that the redesign actually made the new cartridges NOT EVEN WORK! They removed the air vent from the bottom of the cartridge as part of the change. Without an air vent, there is no way for the pressure in the ink tank to equalize, and so it just stops printing in the middle of a page that used a lot of that color. This is so totally amazing, I can't believe they did this! Do they really think people are just going to rush out and buy the newest HP printer model? I guess they think we're too stupid to realize they sabotaged the old model printers!
Anyway, the ONLY way to print anything on that model printer is to use OLD, refilled cartridges!
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
I find this entire thread somewhat mind boggling. I have four HP printers, 712, 812, 820, 1220C, and have no problems with any of them. They're light years ahead of the Cannon that hit the floor at a high rate of speed after it tried to digest 30 sheets of paper, for the fortyleventh time, and I have two lexmarks that I refuse to even allow out of the attic. When I can find them, I use the "A" series cartidges, they're twice as much ink for not as much money as two of the "D" series. Cannon and lexmark cartridges are abysmally tiny, and just as expensive as the bigger HP cartridges. Neither has the print quality that the HP gives me. I don't refil, just go buy new when I need it. One spoiled 13 X 19 on photo paper can negate any savings from refilling the cart.
The only way either the Cannon or lexmark would do any size printing job was if I stood there and hand fed one sheet at a time. HP handles it nicely, very rarely that I have to reprint even one page because of a bad paper feed. My next printer will be another 1220C.
Reply to
Nobody
What did you expect from something you dug out of the trash? A lifetime warranty?
Reply to
TheMan
No. But, it turns out the old cartridges were refillable, the new HP NAME BRAND cartridges DID NOT WORK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! It was NOT the printer's fault, either.
So, I should expect that after certain time, the replacement cartridges should be designed to not work?
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
I was really thinking of buying a 1220C when it went off the market. The ones on eBay were going for nearly as much as the new ones sold for in stores. I haven't looked lately. They seem to have replaced the 1220C with a 96xx model.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
If anyone is interested, OfficeMax has a deal going on refurbed HP PSC1210s. Ends up $60 after rebate. Does not come with USB cable. Retail for the two print cartridges totals about $50, so $10 more gets the whole printer 8o). It's tempting as my old parallel scanner died this spring.
Reply to
keith bowers
I bought one HP printer with my first Comp. Not a cheap printer & not cheap either at the time. It was a POS. Along with HP's 'Tek Service'. I then bought another brand of printer & it worked for years till I bought my current Dell Comp. system. I now have an Epson color 860 printer that I refill the ink cartridges for pennies a refill. HP is now a non issue to me. Git smart & dump the HP junk.
Reply to
Rpmrods
Was a day when you couldn't GIVE me an HP inkjet printer. Period. The ink ran when it was wet, and took forever to dry - It smudged easily, and the printers were terribly expensive. I used Epsons. Their ink was dry when it hit the paper, and did not smudge. However, if you didn't use the printer for a few weeks the peint head dried out. Unlike HP, the head was not part of the cartridge. It was difficult to change. It cost as much as the printer.
Today's HP ink dries a lot faster. Some is almost waterproof. The print heads are still part of the cartridge, which is refillable - in the case of the black cart, extremely easy to do.
Even the cheap $99 printer is standing up very well even in office use. I find it hard to recommend anything else at this point, even though I can't make ten cents selling them.
Reply to
nospam.clare.nce
That's why I switched from Epson to HP color inkjets. I don't print often, so the print heads tend to get clogged. As you note, it is an expensive problem on an Epson.
With the HP, just insert a new cartridge and you get a new unclogged print head. Since I don't print often, or very much, with a color inkjet, the ability to cheaply refill ink cartridges isn't that big a deal for me. (I do my bulk printing on a laser printer.)
Gary
Reply to
Gary Coffman