OT: I had an idea!

I know someone somewhere has invented this already, but I invented it today. So, hah! I have a little spool of string like you get at the hardware store: bundle of string wrapped around a cardboard tube, no flanges at the ends. So, it invariably comes unraveled and tangles over time. That's where my idea came in: I folded a sheet of standard notebook paper in half longways, wrapped it around the spool, and put a couple of rubber bands around the paper. So when I need string I just pull it out and the paper and rubber bands keep the remainder neatly bound. And it's easy enough to redo if I ever need to put some string back onto the spool. The paper will protect the string from abrasion and crud as a bonus. I figured I'd share it for all of you who have spools of string unraveling around the house.

Reply to
B.B.

Good idea!

Reply to
Don Foreman

We use a lot of a very expensive Italian linen twine in our work. It's about $9.00 a roll -- comes "scramble wound" in a ball, with no core.

Because it's expensive, it's baaad to waste twine. So we masking-tape over the entire outside of each ball before use. We withdraw the twine from the inside of the roll, and never get tangles or waste.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reminds me of my Grandmas ceramic strawberry . It hung on her wall for as long as I can remember with a ball of string inside . The backside had a cone shape so the ball dropped lower as the ball got smaller . One end dangled from a hole in the bottom . Just pull out what you needed . I never knew it to tangle or unravel Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

That's where my idea came in: I folded a sheet of standard notebook

I tried this and it works. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Aftershock