OT - Installing Vista - not

This is one for all of you readers who?ve had trouble installing Windows Vista. Don?t feel bad. Even some Microsoft developers ? who have the Vista team on premise ? can?t manage to upgrade to Vista.

cavelamb himself

I am glad that I do not need that POS operating system.

Ignoramus5083

XP is still available from Dell.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I'll be running W2000 Pro for as long as I can get a decent antivirus program for it. If business software demands a move to Vista, so be it. Not much in serious CAD/CAM for Linux or Mac yet. But somewhere down the road here I'll be moving to either Linux and/or Mac for personal use. And I'll be sure to contact Microsoft and let them know their BS approach to OS cost them another customer....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I finally got Vista loaded on a secondary drive on a tertiary machine (the spare drive in my test machine). It works great for somewhere around 2 to 4 hours and then it reboots itself. Doesn't seem to matter what is running at the time, if anything. One time I booted the machine and let is set. Never opened a single application or even touched the mouse. 2 hours 40 min later it rebooted itself.

Wayne

P.S. On that same machine XP runs fine as long as I want it to.

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

It's a shame, but even if you and 100,000 other folks write letters like that, it'll be worth only one hundredth of a percent of their business. They'll still make their billions this year.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got a new Mac. Run all of the stuff like email, the web, etc on the Mac side where virus protection is not needed. When I need a program that only runs under Windows or Linux I just use Parallels, and jump into the OS I need. OS-X never crashes, although some applications do. :)

Reply to
Mike Swift

And if you believe that I have a nice bridge to sell you. There are less Mac viruses around because Mac have a small market share. See

Anyone in this group doing metalworking any more?

- Bob Headrick

Reply to
Bob Headrick

Alternately, you can boot into XP (or Vista, I suppose?) native if you want to set up the dual-boot environment that apple supports.

"Never" is a very long time. I did have an OS crash, but, that was in

10.2 so it's been a few years. It's amazing what people will put up with and just accept as "normal", when it just doesn't need to be that way.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Market share doesn't enter into it, it's the security model. You need motivation _and_ opportunity to exploit something; the mechanism needed for a virus to work as a virus works, are nearly unique in modern computing OS design and limited to Windows. OSX, and any other Unix varient, just doesn't allow the user to muck around with system files in the same way that Windows does.

Someone erroneously describing this as a virus doesn't make it one.

Yup, I'm going to wreck some stainless right now, as it happens.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

One element of older UNIX systems was not running for xx time without booting. It was found that process numbers ran out of bits and when the process tool made the number larger, it did some other odd operation.

A fix was found and all went well. Such is life. Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You sure about that? That must have been a very early version. Before 1975?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Now why is it that both of our new PCs have Ubuntu linux?

I still need to get Wine sorted out to my family's satisfaction, but they do what _I_ need!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks!!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I have been using Avast! for a year or so and have been happy with it. Is there any advantage to Clamwin?

Reply to
Rex

Same question for AntiVir from Avira. I have been using it for a long time now.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

No idea. I also use it on my Linux boxes, and it seems to work just fine on both OS with regular updates.

Ive been using AVG for years, but the last couple updates of the free versons seem to have immolated itself, even after reinstalling.

The Linux wonks think its pretty good..and they are a paranoid bunch.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

To be precise, it detects windows viruses stored on a Linux system. And of course all zero of the Linux viruses in the wild.

Hmmm. It's been behaving on the "friends and family support" systems I use it on. What's it doing?

I'm not sure I'm prepared to believe that statement, even from you.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

:-)

I have to agree. Now if you want a paranoid bunch, look at the OpenBSD types. They make even the most extreme linux types look like they leave their doors not only unlocked, but wide open while they are away from home. :-)

I have yet to see a linux distribution which does not accept "blobs" (pre-compiled binary drivers from the makers of some PC hardware, with no way to verify it for security holes. That is one of the things which gets the OpenBSD types up in arms, because with that linux acceptance, it seems to be impossible to get the card vendors to supply sufficient documentation so there is a chance for the OpenBSD crowd to write their own security-verified drivers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols