OT: Production manager update

Thanks all for the thoughts. We love this lady and will do our best to get things straight. On top of everything else, she's Diabetic. She has admitted to some of the problems and we will get her to AA and restructure the reporting protocols. It will help a lot to have the consultant in, his presence adds a whole new dimension to restructuring because it's an external influence. I plan on being tough, insisting she abandon the relationship and the alcohol. Also, she can no longer be involved with the union. The whole methodology for production management and resource management needs to evolve to the next level. Gee, for a tiny, flyspeck company, we have to do things in a much more complicated way than my daddy and his brothers ever had to...it just isn't fair, I want to play golf and go fishing like they did. How come they only had to work normal hours?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I know exactly how you feel. I really see this in my job as township supervisor. Used to be we could just do something. Now lawyers got to be involved from day one. It takes forever to get anything accomplished and the frustration level is huge.

We just let a road rebuild job for $166K. The last rebuild job we were taken by the contractor for $35K cause he didn't pay for his supplies and the subcontractors sued us. So, a new 10 page contract was drawn up - I couldn't understand any of it, neither could the contractor.

Trouble is, I KNEW last year's contractor was a snake. Lawyers said we didn't have enough proof to disqualify them. So, he took us for a ride. Now, this year, we got a guy that you could just trust with the township checkbook. AND, we have to write up a lawyer contract in case he might try to weasel on anything.

Years ago, you just didn't do business with people of poor character, no questions asked. Then we never needed a lawyer for every little thing. I guess that's progress.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Look into requiring bid bonds.

John

Reply to
john

Actually, I'm now a bit of a expert on this area.

The bid bond only protects you from a contractor that wins the bid and then never starts the job.

A performance bond protects you from a contractor that does not complete the work correctly or on time.

A payment bond protects you from a contractor that does not pay all the bills.

We now require 5% bid bond, and 100% on the other two. The contractor buys insurance for this and, of course, the cost increase of about 2-5% is in the bid. Plus we're paying about 5% of a typical job in legal fees. Ever wonder where your property taxes go?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend