OT (semi) : Grease Remover

Hi all,

Had a sticky screen door this summer, so I cleaned all the rails and sprayed with white lithium grease.

Worked fine for the summer, but now is colder and grease has thickened and turned a pretty nasty shade of yellow. So I now have yellow, sticky grease all over the frame.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to remove this gunk?

Should I just use alcohol or something more aggressive?

Best & TIA

Freddie

Reply to
Fred Fowler III

I'd probably start with wd40.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Carburetor or brake cleaner in the spray cans. Just don't spray any on the paint around the frame.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Freddie asks:

Reply to
rigger

Automatic dishwashing liquid/paste

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Kerosene to cut the grease. Then a water-based cleaner to allow you to wash the kerosene off.

I like Gunk engine cleaner or similar products. You mix a little bit with a lot of kerosene (or diesel fuel, etc.) but absolutely no water. Then, when you have cut through the grease, spray with water to dissolve everything.

Pretty cheaply, too.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Michelle P

You didn't mention whether the frame is AL or wood. If it's wood, I wouldn't use anything stronger than 409. Metal, denatured alcohol should be fine.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Mineral spirits ("paint thinner"), naphtha, or charcoal lighter will remove the grease. Then wash with Dawn diswashing detergent and warm water.

Then get a spraycan of moly dry film lubricant, Loctite #39895.

I found it at a bearing supply place. This leaves a dry film that doesn't rub off, doesn't attract or hold grit, goesn't get gummy, and is seriously slippery. A patio door that took both hands and some weight to open now slides with one finger.

Reply to
Don Foreman

If anything else doesn't work try something called Xylol or Xylene, it is the basis for most over-the-counter adhesive gum solvents. It smells absolutely terrible, is availble from largely chemical distriubtor, but is also sold in cans by Home Depot. It's wonderfuly stuff, but must be used carefully, since it also disolves rubber and latex gloves.

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:46:56 -0500, Fred Fowler III scribed:

Wow, you guys are quick!

This is the reason R.C.M is such a great group!

I reckon from the advice, and I have wood frame I will try the Alcoa, dishwater series. In the event I still have crud there, may have to go the Naptha (Goo Gone) route.

Thanks everyone!

Freddie

Reply to
Fred Fowler III

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:39:07 -0500, Fred Fowler III scribed:

I meant naphtha & Alcohol

Reply to
Fred Fowler III