OT: Squirrel Grenade?

Hey, anyone driving with their head up the ass of the driver in front of him surely can't see what jumps out in front of the lead car.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Me and a couple other house painters were cruising out to a hamburger shack for lunch in an old decrepit looking VW bug. Dude (obviously a civil engineer) in a nice polished station wagon was riding the bumper. Darrell said "watch this." Bumped the brake pedal enough for lights, Dude locked them up, slid off the highway backwards and took out the hamburger joint's mailbox. We went and got my truck, went back to the hamburger joint, got food, and for entertainment watched "Dude" deal with the Sheriff and wrecker driver.

wws

Reply to
wws

Hi,

A number of years ago , I read the the auto insurance industry did an analysis of driving habits, tickets, and whatever in an attempt to figure out their rate structure ( and probably who to dump.) That is they wanted to know who was most likely to have an accident. It was not the speeders. It was the tailgaters. Even though many of the accidents did not involve tailgating, the conclusion was that, in general, those who tailgate tend to greatly underestimate potential dangers and thus get into more accidents.

Thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger Haar

Reply to
machineman

Hmm. Around here they found that there were folks even worse than them. They were the ones driving in the fast lane on the highways, going five mph

*under* the speed limit, with about a half mile long string of cars behind them.

Most often they were elderly, confused, and wearing a hat.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I heard on the radio this morning about an American in Iraq who had bought an '88 Mercedes, believed to be the personal car of Saddam Hussein. It was specially equipmed with, among other things, flamethrowers on each side to clear crowds. Cost him $5500 plus shipping to the states. Sounds like the ultimate commuter car =:O

Reply to
Rex B

Been there, Sunday's trying to get down to my parents place and every old man in a hat or blue haired old lady goes out for their Sunday drive. :-)usually at 10 under the limit. My favorite is the guy who turns into his yard without signaling. One report I heard about an accident involving one of these guys stated that he didn't know how the guy could have hit him, since everybody know he lived there and didn't have to signal. Having lived in a mostly rural area, one has to look out for farm equipment. Coming back from the beach one day I forgot this rule, came flying over a hill at 120kph at dusk and there is a bloody great potato harverest straddling both lanes of the road. Luckily the shoulder was in good shape and didn't end up in the ditch :-) Me and my passenger had a major case of the puckered butt till we got home. And as Prince Edward Island is a major tourist destination, trying to get anywhere in the summer is a royal pain in the ass. Population of

140k plus up to 200k tourist at any > >
Reply to
machineman

I lived in Southern Louisiana for a few years. Every end of summer was sugar cane harvesting time. S-L-O-W tractors pulling wagons of cane. Then there was all the cane that was laying on the highway. Every year there were several get togethers of 65mph vehicles and 3 mph tractor/wagon setups. I believe in every case, the sugar cane load came out the best.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

(delurking) Been there. Mid-70's. Saw that. Found any neat little coon-ass beer joint on the way and settled in for a couple hours until all the cane harvesters were where they wanted to go. Pearl beer, good slow-cooked gumbo, great people. Wasn't in no hurry in those days. Let my '56 Panhead rest outside in the La. sun. Damn, that brought back some good memories.

Garrett Fulton (relurking)

Reply to
gfulton

Man, oh, man. I left Las Vegas. Went to commercial diving school in Houston. Drove to Lafayette, Louisiana, the day after graduation, and was hired the next day. Went offshore the same day.

Stayed out about three months. Came back in with some time off, some jingle in my pockets, and a hungry attitude.

It was like being dropped off on another planet. The food was out of this world. The girls were cute. They talked funny. The music and daincin' and partying was first class.

I have been to every port and boat landing from Venice, La. to Rockport, Texas.

Didn't miss a lot, and probably even been in the same bar.

One time, we were coming in because of a hurricane. We stopped in Dulac at a bar. The water was rising. The owner said we could stay until the water reached the electrical outlets, and he'd have to shut her down. We argued when he pulled the plug, but left.

Ahhhhhhhhh. memories .............. It was like high adventure of the pirates. It's interesting when yer out there with a gale blowin' into yer teeth.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

RE: Louisiana

I was there from 74 to 80, and 94-95.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

machineman wrote in news:YWPHe.151674 $HI.20784@edtnps84:

Didn't David "Kung Fu" Carradine make a movie like that?

Reply to
Eregon

I was a Bell 212, 205, 204 helicopter mechanic for Petroleum Helicopters from '74-'77. I'll bet you flew on some of the ships I kept up. Was based in Morgan City, Cameron, and Venice. Wouldn't doubt we sat in the same bar a few times. It was a good time in my life. I'm surprised a person doesn't need a passport to cross into South Louisiana. It's just that much different from anyplace else in the world. Bon Ton Ruley.

Garrett

Reply to
gfulton

Flew in many a PHI 212 and Offshore Logistics.

Always liked to see the 212's come. You were sure to get a seat.

I was like Radar on Mash. I could hear them farther than anyone.

"Chopper's comin'"

'Nah. Where?"

"Whump, whump, whump .........."

I once heard the Atchafalaya River in the Morgan City area is THE most hazardous navigable waterway in the world. It was sure interesting going down the river and out to sea and see all those 12-18' alligators just sunnin' along the bank.

I was a diver on a pipeline job that went across that swamp from Centerville to Pierre Parte, just north of Morgan City. That was for Bannister, the company that did the Alaska Pipeline, and was a 54" OD concrete coated line.

Sum kinda fishin out in that swamp!

I miss the food, the people, and the fishing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
machineman

Sounds too intellectual for me. I just like blood and gore with no philosophy mixed in.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Only 1 of 2 movies I ever walked out in the middle of. The other one was a Fellini flick.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

The Roadhouse just outside of Abbyville was my favorite. Listened to both Muddy Waters and Lightin Hopkins play there. Only bar I ever got laid, while standing up, during a music set. No..I aint discussing the details.....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner