OT: Striped OEM Automotive wire source?

Gonna totally rewire the Roadster. Googled myself sensless, but cannot find a source. All aftermarket automotive wire that I have found is solid color. C'mon, there must be hundreds of thousands of miles worth of striped wire manufactured yearly for the OEMs. Some one must be able to supply a selection. I don't need a 5000 ft spool, either. I don't need Googles auto-generated 'hits', and wrecking yards want too much for a 'harness'. I don't need the application, just an assortment of wire with different color stripes. Anyone know a source? Links happily accepted. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR NORTH

If the car is old enough, and you want original type and colored wire,

probably has it, and connectors too. If it's a newer car, I don't know.

Dale Scroggins

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

Wire is almost always striped to order. It's been a while since I've had a customer dictate striped wire, but I think the minimums were pretty low, perhaps 100 ft. You're probably looking for UL1007, stranded and tinned, or something similar.

This is one place I've that's given me good service and price, though I don't think on striping specifically.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

riwire.com has an amazingly wide selection of colors/stripes, and the prices aren't too bad either (although I assume it could be had at a fraction of the price if you had the right contacts). The site doesn't have any info on the insulation specs though. I emailed them to try to get some more info on the insulation, seeing as how I too am looking for such a supplier.

If you're not trying to match the factory wires, and are just looking for a larger number of colors/combinations, check out Painless Wiring's wires. You may even have a local source. If you don't have a local speed-shop that carries their stuff, or if the local guys charge $$, summitracing.com has most of it listed in their online catalog, and, I assume, can get the unlisted stuff too. Eastwood also lists their wire, but charges more than summit. The selection of striping is limited (max of 20 solids+stripes in

14ga), but it (TXL) is a step or two above the stuff (GPT) found in the big parts store chains or mega-merchandisers.

Certainly 20 colors/combinations are enough, no?

Reply to
me

This company can probably help:

Phil

"JR NORTH" wrote in message news:XZCdnW6N39zgkkDenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com... | Gonna totally rewire the Roadster. Googled myself sensless, but cannot | find a source. All aftermarket automotive wire that I have found is | solid color. C'mon, there must be hundreds of thousands of miles worth | of striped wire manufactured yearly for the OEMs. Some one must be able | to supply a selection.

I know that

has stuff like that on the shelf, I think. You didn't mention the pedigree of your roadster, but the aforementioned shop stocks wire according to the old British strand system, IIRC. I know that Waytek at
will stripe wire for you, but as you guessed, they have a minimum.run. Don't have my catalog handy or I'd tell you more about their service. I have a friend who completely rewired his Morris, all in blue wire. It complimented the green body nicely, and he did a really clean install. Don't know how he identified as his wires, as I never say any kind of identification of any kind on it, but it does look really sweet.

Reply to
carl mciver

You might have to resign yourself to tagging at both ends if you have large multiples of the same gauge and color wire heading to the same place.

I can't even get our local electrical houses to carry a few choices of striped white for neutrals - even though they agree it's really needed when you're running multiple circuits in a common conduit.

I would suggest using stranded THHN or TFFN/MTW nylon over PVC insulated wire instead of the more common 'auto primary' PVC (TW) wire

- it'll put up with much more sheath abuse. It's all I use when I am working on cars, and it's available in the full rainbow of solid colors - the only striped version that is commonly available is green/yellow for Euro-spec grounding.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

I've been getting striped wire at:

Autosport Seattle

2121 Westlake Ave. Seattle, WA 206.621.1940

They sell it by the foot. I think it's British-sourced wire; sometimes I can't get the German color combinations. Prices are reasonable, and you deal with real human beings.

Eelloin

Reply to
Eel Loin

Call Gateway Electronics in St. Louis, at 800-669-5810

They have at least 100 miles of striped wire, maybe a thousand miles. Mostly from McDonnell-Douglas and Emerson Electric. I've been in their warehouse, and the wire section goes on for about 20 shelving racks. They moved a couple years ago, but I suspect they kept the wire.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson