PAINT that washes off VINYL?

Can anyone recommend a kind of paint that washes off vinyl garage doors? I have unpainted white ones and I'd like to paint on them for the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) and then wash it off afterwards. I tried spray-in hair color for Halloween? it came off, but only when I applied bleach, which I'd rather not do again. One person recommended that paint you put on car windshields but it warns not to use it on a porous surface? might it stain vinyl? Thanks if you can help and please direct me elsewhere if appropriate. I see from googling "Groups" that there is no rec.crafts.decorative-painting group.

RW

P.S. thanks to all who helped with my milk can painting project. I went with rustoleum and put felts on the bottom to protect the hardwood floors. Looks great!

Reply to
Rebecca Webb

Maybe poster paint? Check the crafts stores...

Reply to
Rick

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:02:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb) calmly ranted:

Suggestion #1: Wax the doors with a good polymer car "wax". That will SEAL the door against any color from the water-based window paints you'll use. I have used (and like) NuFinish and Finish 2001, but there are many others.

Suggestion #2: Buy some of that reeeeeeally expensive anti-graffiti paint and do the doors. Then paint with whatever you want. It'll clean off with the high-pressure washer.

Note: I haven't tried either suggestion. -- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe the stuff used for face painting. I would try a small area and see how well it comes off.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

What you want is classic Tempura paint. It is just water and pigment with no binder.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Buncha good suggestions, thanks!

Reply to
Rebecca Webb

The wax is the answer but you can use two coats of the liquid Johnsons floor wax. Let the first dry. Then use a tempra. True tempra has a egg binder. The powdered stuff you get at craftshops has a weak water base binder in it. When you brew up the color add just a little dishsoap. This will help it set up and make it easier to wash off. When your done mix up warmwater to lift the paint spray it on with a spritzer and let it sit for a while do it once morre and wash off with a good nozle on a garden hose. To remove the wax and get back to the vinyl use warm water with Ammonia in it that will cut the floor wax.

The most important part is a couple good coats of floorwax on it.

Steve Eyrse

Steven E. Eyrse

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:43:34 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking, Ernie Leimkuhler wrote,

Must be a Japanese thing. Not to be confused with classic tempra paint, which uses egg for binder.

Reply to
David Harmon

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:53:48 GMT, David Harmon calmly ranted:

It's "tempura" for shrimp. Yummy! And it's "tempera" for paint. Gooey! Class dismissed.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques